Elections Are there better options to the electoral college?

Republicans have this cynical love affair with the EC because that's the only way a Republican gets into the WH for the foreseeable future. Republicans won't be winning the popular vote anytime soon.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Biden's looking very strong for 2024, but they can't be much worse than 50/50 for 2028 at this point (granting it's impossible to predict this far out). But it certainly doesn't help that they know they can win with a clear minority of the votes, and their strategy appears to be to try to make minority rule easier and maybe steal elections rather than just like do a good job, adopt popular policies, and try to persuade people.

That's what the Senate was for, the EC was because the founders didn't trust the rabble.
In the election of 1792, about 2.5% of the population was eligible to vote for President, through their electors. That system bears almost no resemblance to what we have today. I think getting rid of the electoral college would just formalize the democratic changes that have existed for centuries at this point, and would mostly just change the way politicians campaign.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Biden's looking very strong for 2024, but they can't be much worse than 50/50 for 2028 at this point (granting it's impossible to predict this far out). But it certainly doesn't help that they know they can win with a clear minority of the votes, and their strategy appears to be to try to make minority rule easier and maybe steal elections rather than just like do a good job, adopt popular policies, and try to persuade people.
Of course they know the EC is tilted in their favor so Republicans figure why try to appeal to the majority? The problem is what happens when Texas flips(it's only a matter of time)?

Do you honestly see Biden keeping up a campaign schedule at 81?

"Tyranny of the majority" =bad

Tyranny of the minority = the most fair way!!!

Do you honestly see Biden keeping up a campaign schedule at 81?

He'll have to cut out the floor-routine part of the campaign, but sure. He seems to have figured out politics--hire good people, do popular things, and don't say anything controversial.

I think it works fine now but I like more power and experimentation with states so I’d naturally like it more. Enough states are capable of making it determined by the popular vote but it hasn’t happened yet.

In the election of 1792, about 2.5% of the population was eligible to vote for President, through their electors. That system bears almost no resemblance to what we have today. I think getting rid of the electoral college would just formalize the democratic changes that have existed for centuries at this point, and would mostly just change the way politicians campaign.

I don't even think it would do that. Politicians don't really control the distribution of their votes, and elections are increasingly national as it is.

??? What does the electoral college have to do with that? Do you even know what this thread is about?

Again, we're seeing the effects of "position first, argument later" reasoning.
Buying votes by promising welfare and subsidized housing to people trapped in the ghetto is real, jack. Trapping people in the ghetto with government subsidies is real. Punishing people on government subsidies that get married is real. The detriment to children in fatherless homes is real.
The reason that poor people that live in rural areas are more conservative is that they are happier and have a better life and they know it. Many get a benefit, but they do other things to supplement, have family, way less crime and a community that they know and have their back, regardless of race.
Contrary to current beliefs, there is nothing new under the sun. All of these political movements have been enacted before and the electoral college was a brilliant safeguard to ensure that the flock that grouped around the castle to get the scraps that were handed out by the royalty couldn't overrule those who did not.
I know it doesn't seem in context but it's nuance. Quite relevant to the discussion.

Abrahams_Electoral.jpg

<Dany07><{anton}>
Is TrUMp relative to this conversation?

And with it the votes of the highest population centers mean nothing. Also the states that contribute the most lose out once again. Not only do we pay for the flyover states were also held hostage by your voting decisions.

funny how that works.

We lose across the board with the EC.

What do you mean their votes mean nothing? Listen up dipshit, the libtard cesspools of CA, NY, and IL alone give almost 40% of the required electoral votes for the ENTIRE nation. Tell me how THREE states should rule all 50.

You libtards are truly dense.

What about Texas and Florida who have a higher population than Illinois and New York?.....oh wait, those are Republican states and that hurts your dumbass argument so you can't mention those.

FL is purple you dumbfuck, not red. And TX is following that trend with the invasion of the liberal fuckwits fleeing the blue states they fucked up so they can go fuck it up there too.

Your argument is shit. Go find another.

Biden's looking very strong for 2024,

LOL, WUT? What are you sniffing - little girl's hair like biden?

That senile criminal pedophile is in failing health and can't even string together a couple words to make a coherent sentence. At BEST he will be in a wheelchair and drooling on himself at that point. Still can't put it past you dopes to continue supporting that though.

What do you mean their votes mean nothing? Listen up dipshit, the libtard cesspools of CA, NY, and IL alone give almost 40% of the required electoral votes for the ENTIRE nation. Tell me how THREE states should rule all 50.

You libtards are truly dense.
I didn't realize that all the voters of those three states voted Democrat and had no Republican votes to contribute in a popular state. Fun fact, if 2020 was a popular vote, you would have actually needed to win more states than you would in the electoral college in order to clinch a win for the White House. Would you like to try again with your 3 states to rule all 50 bullshit?

I think proportional representation is a good step towards USA becoming a democracy. ;)

Get rid of the winner takes all.

If California has 100 votes and Biden takes the state 70% to Cruz 30% then Joe gets 70 votes and Ted gets 30 votes.

It would also make 3rd candidates a viable factor, which IMO the country really needs.

I was listening to right wing radio last night and the discussion was how the electoral college disenfranchised the flyover states. No such discussions in 2016
Vote by mail suddenly became riddled with fraud (despite no evidence) in 2020 as well. I wonder what changed?

I didn't realize that all the voters of those three states voted Democrat and had no Republican votes to contribute in a popular state. Fun fact, if 2020 was a popular vote, you would have actually needed to win more states than you would in the electoral college in order to clinch a win for the White House. Would you like to try again with your 3 states to rule all 50 bullshit?

EC is winner take all in almost every state. Don't engage in big boy conversations unless you you know the topic.

Back