Are there anyone who dislike Winning gloves?

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear from those who had tried Winning gloves and for whatever reason decided that it wasn't for them. I would like to hear your feedback on why you didn't like them and also I would to know which gloves you prefer over Winning. I've never tried Winning gloves before, but so far the only thing that I dislike is the price.

There's nothing more satisfying to me than cracking a bag (or sparring partner) and thinking 'fuck that must have tickled'.

I just don't get that with Winnings.

Like above, I guess not everyone prefers "over-protective" gloves that has less feeback and pop. (This is just my guessing.)

It's tough to dislike an almost perfect (mass produced) glove. I say mass produced because nothing beats a custom glove that's been made from your hand, by a custom glove maker that actually gives a shit and knows what they're talking about. Obviously there aren't many alive that do this anymore. I digress.

Winning has set the standard for a professional sparring glove. Within each gloves respective generation, they are usually completely uniform and consistent. I use bag mitts or super bag gloves exclusively for the heavybag now (they make a couple of bag gloves by the way).

Winning gloves, save for their leather, are the gold standard for sparring. The padding is layered and soft enough that if you continually use them on the bag and use them heavily enough, the padding will start to compress and it will break down. I think it's a waste of money to use the professional training gloves for the bag. I agree, you should feel the bag and be able to protect your hand.

Grant is more of an all around training glove, though for heavy sparring the padding is not very forgiving. I don't know what you're looking for here, but if you're not sparring a lot and the you're expecting them to last forever because of the price, I would look elsewhere.

Reyes is the other end of the spectrum,I have both and love them both.protection vs feedback

I found the pocket to be too large in both lace and velcro 16 oz Winnings. The improper fit (for me) caused knuckle soreness frequently.

UMA IR's have a similar foam feel, far superior wrist support in their velcro version, are insanely customizable, and are like a 1/4 of the price.

I have no desire to own Winnings ever again as there are companies out there that can create a similar product (and in some ways, truly superior) for a fraction of the cost. For years Winning was the only company to produce a foam with the protective quality it is known for, and it earned a reputation (and a matching price tag) that it deserved. Things have changed, and gloves have come a long way. They aren't the only player anymore.

I dislike them. Ok well... let me explain. They are decent gloves.

The reason the brand is famous is because they have artisans make the gloves entirely by hand. the leather is hand cut from sheets, it's hand stitched by guys that have been doing it for YEARS... The craftsmanship could not be better. But craftsmanship is only one part of the glove.

The style of glove is a good actual style. It gives solid wrist protection, it doesn't feel too overly bulky in my opinion but... It's not like 'the best' style without argument. So here's the problem.

There are lots of gloves that won't fall apart even after years of use. There's a massive assortment of other gloves in the $70-$150 range that are as solid / maybe not QUITE as perfectly consistent as winnings, but they're never falling apart, they're all leather, and either the same style or a different style that depending on preference you might like more than the winning style glove.

And also the big problem with Winnings is... you like their style? Why not order that same style glove from a guy like top-boxer who will custom make the glove to your hand size? You get to customize everything, colors, all of that good stuff, and it's still practically half the price.

That's what bother's me with winning. If they were below $200 I would say, it's a solid brand. But I think it's only the brand name that drives them up to $250-$300.

The craftsmanship is no longer exclusive to Winning. Nor is their design, and personally i've used winnings and preferred a lot of my own gloves to them. RTC C17's, Triumph Death Adders, Hayabusa Tonkushu's, Even Twins (for me) rank at the same level as winnings in terms of how comfortable they are and how they feel to use. And god forbid I compare them to top-boxer gloves... If you want winnings, order the winning style from top-boxer who will custom make a winning style glove with a hand compartment fit TO you. That's going to be as good as or better than winnings minus the winning brand.

I found the pocket to be too large in both lace and velcro 16 oz Winnings. The improper fit (for me) caused knuckle soreness frequently.

UMA IR's have a similar foam feel, far superior wrist support in their velcro version, are insanely customizable, and are like a 1/4 of the price.

I have no desire to own Winnings ever again as there are companies out there that can create a similar product (and in some ways, truly superior) for a fraction of the cost. For years Winning was the only company to produce a foam with the protective quality it is known for, and it earned a reputation (and a matching price tag) that it deserved. Things have changed, and gloves have come a long way. They aren't the only player anymore.

What glove out there has stood the test of time? I'm talking about the Winning-inspired, imitations, replica's, etc? For a professional boxer who needs to know he's getting the same thing every single time, Winning is the gold standard. I know they've changed their design a few times, but for the most part it's been uniform.

Every other "similar product" manufacturer has seen fluctuations in quality. Almost everyone here was singing R2C's praises, Triumph United's Heatseeker's praises, and a number of other brands. They have all either stopped manufacturing the exact glove that was praised, or their quality has decreased drastically. R2C's Japanese gloves, the last time I checked, were very different and pretty horrible. I have a beautiful pair of custom 18 oz UMA gloves. They are great in term of stitching and colors, but the feel is not the same, and the shape is a little off due to the leather being pulled at a slightly off angle. UMA seems great and I hope they keep it up honestly, but I have my doubts.

However, none of them are better than Winning, in terms of consistency, quality, and reputation. They are an in house brand with their gloves. They don't advertise and they don't need to. For the true professional, there is no real other alternative.

Winning USA has the 16 oz gloves listed at $270. Custom UMA gloves are $130 USD. That's not a fourth of the price. Custom Winnings are 30% more, so I could see the comparison is closer there, but honestly custom is not that important to a serious pro.

Also, it's a shame that the 16 oz don't fit you well. Have you tried the 12 or 14 oz gloves?

I dislike them. Ok well... let me explain. They are decent gloves.
There are lots of gloves that won't fall apart even after years of use. There's a massive assortment of other gloves in the $70-$150 range that are as solid / maybe not QUITE as perfectly consistent as winnings, but they're never falling apart, they're all leather, and either the same style or a different style that depending on preference you might like more than the winning style glove.

And also the big problem with Winnings is... you like their style? Why not order that same style glove from a guy like top-boxer who will custom make the glove to your hand size? You get to customize everything, colors, all of that good stuff, and it's still practically half the price.

That's what bother's me with winning. If they were below $200 I would say, it's a solid brand. But I think it's only the brand name that drives them up to $250-$300.

The craftsmanship is no longer exclusive to Winning. Nor is their design, and personally i've used winnings and preferred a lot of my own gloves to them. RTC C17's, Triumph Death Adders, Hayabusa Tonkushu's, Even Twins (for me) rank at the same level as winnings in terms of how comfortable they are and how they feel to use. And god forbid I compare them to top-boxer gloves... If you want winnings, order the winning style from top-boxer who will custom make a winning style glove with a hand compartment fit TO you. That's going to be as good as or better than winnings minus the winning brand.

It's a good thing that you're okay with the other brands. But maybe you're not a pro whose primary concern for gloves is hand protection and also protection for the sparring partner. Also, pro boxers don't really spar in velcro for a number of reasons.

WINNING is not a $300 glove because of the name brand. Winning is produced in one of the most expensive countries in the world, even more expensive than the USA. The only real producer of USA made gloves in this age charges $400 a pair, and his name is John Golomb of the original Everlast brand. It's not only the brand name of Winning that drives the price. The brand you're thinking of is GRANT, which charges over $500 for custom gloves. Even their stock gloves are $350 for 16 oz lace up. They have in the past been sold at $150, but because of the recognition they've achieved and their product placement, they have found that they can charge their insane amounts. A pretty good glove by the way.

This is to OP and everyone else. If you're fine with whatever you're using and you're unhappy with Winning's price or fit, then don't buy it. There's no need for you to use the consensus best glove if you don't need it. Floyd didn't start using it until he started having hand problems from his fights and throwing thousands of punches a day. Demand is overflowing for Winning, and that is a fact. I sincerely doubt demand for their products will ever change, so long as they never change.

lol man I sound defensive, probably because I am. I love what Winning does, have used Winning both on the bag and sparring, and respect the heck out of them.

Sorry if I've irritated anyone or sounded like to much of a buzzkill. I really enjoy Kaz and Winning. There's truly nothing like the Winning glove. Actually though, I've decided that I enjoy the alternatives, especially at their respective price points. I can't wait to start sparring again to use these 18 oz UMAs. The other brands are good enough for me as well, just wanted to clarify. If you're like me and you're sort of fixated on trying Winning, then do it. I definitely had to get it out of my system. Maybe try to get them on eBay for a little cheaper. But I will never forget the anticipation and the feeling of using the Winning glove. Never had that exact, great feeling ever about a glove.

I can't wait to start sparring again to use these 18 oz UMAs. The other brands are good enough for me as well, just wanted to clarify.

I'd never fault anyone for liking winnings haha. They are a DAMN near perfectly made glove. But all i'm saying is I think the era of like $250-$300 gloves is sort of over. UMA is another example of a brand where... you're getting a very similar quality glove in whatever style you want it for way less.

I think Winning is just a little too much about the brand though.

lol man I sound defensive, probably because I am.

Hiding-Dog-1.jpeg.jpeg

LOL, is it safe to come out.

What glove out there has stood the test of time? I'm talking about the Winning-inspired, imitations, replica's, etc? For a professional boxer who needs to know he's getting the same thing every single time, Winning is the gold standard. I know they've changed their design a few times, but for the most part it's been uniform.

As stated in my response, Winning has been the standard for years, but upstarts have made huge strides. Top Boxer and UMA are in their infancy, so it's impossible for them to have created any long term standard. By what I've seen and used of each so far, I would not be surprised to see them produce incredibly high quality gloves for years to come. TB has even broken through to some of the premier MMA fighters on the planet, so people in the industry are taking notice. When guys like Cowboy Cerrone and Jon Jones are using your gloves, you're obviously doing something very, very right.

Every other "similar product" manufacturer has seen fluctuations in quality. Almost everyone here was singing R2C's praises, Triumph United's Heatseeker's praises, and a number of other brands. They have all either stopped manufacturing the exact glove that was praised, or their quality has decreased drastically. R2C's Japanese gloves, the last time I checked, were very different and pretty horrible. I have a beautiful pair of custom 18 oz UMA gloves. They are great in term of stitching and colors, but the feel is not the same, and the shape is a little off due to the leather being pulled at a slightly off angle. UMA seems great and I hope they keep it up honestly, but I have my doubts.

I have never used R2C Japanese inspired gloves or the OG heatseekers, so I cannot and have not spoken of their quality. I understand they received some serious praise here, but it wasn't from this guy :)

However, none of them are better than Winning, in terms of consistency, quality, and reputation. They are an in house brand with their gloves. They don't advertise and they don't need to. For the true professional, there is no real other alternative.

Consistency? Sure, I'll give you that. Same glove, every single time. Quality? Top notch, but again boutique gloves like TB and UMA offer comparable products, and in some ways (namely, wrist protection on the velcro models) are superior. Reputation isn't up for debate, but you're comparing a company that has been around for decades compared to companies that have been around for a year or two. You're also comparing a multi-million dollar corporation to single individuals, so I just don't think it's apples to apples.

Winning USA has the 16 oz gloves listed at $270. Custom UMA gloves are $130 USD. That's not a fourth of the price. Custom Winnings are 30% more, so I could see the comparison is closer there, but honestly custom is not that important to a serious pro.

Stock gloves to stock gloves, you're talking $270 for Winning and $80-$90 depending on model for UMA's. So my apologies, only a 1/3 of the price. Custom, $350 to $130, so still about 3-1 price wise. As far as pros not caring about custom, that's certainly up for debate. A vast majority of high level pros are often seen with custom gloves, but that's unimportant to the conversation IMO.

Also, it's a shame that the 16 oz don't fit you well. Have you tried the 12 or 14 oz gloves?

I sold my last pair of 16's I owned to you, but yeah, I've used some other models. My brother has custom 10's with extra wide velcro, and they're very solid gloves.

Anyway, To get back to the question in the OP:

What's my issue with Winnings? You can buy gloves for a fraction of the price that do some things better than Winnings. If you're interested in buying velcro gloves, Winning has some of the lowest reviewed wrist protection around.

I make part of my livelihood owning and operating a boxing club. It's incredibly important for me to understand the quality and functionality of boxing products. For me personally, I'll be giving my cash to UMA instead of Winning because they offer a comparable product (and again, as I've stated before, objectively superior in regards to their velcro models) for a much cheaper price. I don't care about the name on the back of the glove, I care about how well they function for the price.

Winning gloves are are outstanding, but their price to product ratio doesn't blow my skirt up.

Cheap, totally agree with what you're saying. The very fact that I have a pair in my closet that I can't seem to get to using and that when I do come onto a pair for a good price, I usually pass them along as they're not worth it for me. That being said, I still stand by the fact that it's probably due to the fact that I don't spar/train like the pros do.

I'm very excited to try the UMA's. They feel great, and I really hope they continue to make some great gloves and stay at that price point.

By the way... Didn't I trade the 16 oz Winnings and the Grants to you for the old but amazing stuff? I don't think you sold the 16 oz Winnings to me, but I might not be remembering correctly.

You're right! Still have the Grants, but sold off the Winnings to a buddy.

I thought I sold you my moss green and silver Winnings on eBay a while back, but it's been some time.

Anyway, I think we're both on two sides of the same page. I really appreciate and love what Winning has for quality, I just think that other companies have closed the gap that I'd rather my money go in that direction.

You're right! Still have the Grants, but sold off the Winnings to a buddy.

I thought I sold you my moss green and silver Winnings on eBay a while back, but it's been some time.

Anyway, I think we're both on two sides of the same page. I really appreciate and love what Winning has for quality, I just think that other companies have closed the gap that I'd rather my money go in that direction.

Holy shit. A flood of memories just rushed into my head. I remember exactly where I was when I bid on those gloves, and the feeling when I won. I remember thinking, I'm getting winnings, I can't believe I just spent $250 on a pair of boxing gloves, and I can't believe they were only $250. By far the most beautiful pair of gloves I've ever had, a wonderful color choice. I remember how soft the leather was.

Someone bought them from me because I literally just couldn't come to terms with using them. They were too nice. A guy offered me a good price for them.

You ever going to do a Grant write up? Those gloves were really nice. They have 16 written on them but they're actually close to 14 I think. Hand compartment was too tight. I loved the color on those. You should share on sherdog!

Wow. A difference of opinion where both sides sound like adults. I'm flabbergasted.

Back