Are there any ways to help me not panic when i get into a bad position

from being in side control, which is where most people panic, keep your arms close, and press your forearm into their throat, insta-space

Yeah it's amazing how much people hate that forearm in their throat.

When you practice, don't care about winning or losing. If you are in practice you are simply trying to get better then if someone mounts you, who gives a f*ck. No one is going to think anything if you get tapped out, in reality just realize there is no reason to panic. This will help you to start being calm and work on the TECHNIQUES that you have been shown. Its practice, practice is to get better, not to see who is the best. Thats the first thing that you need to realize to get better.

I am a great wrestler who can be in top position and pass guard to mount to side all day and night (on all belt levels), but i pull guard in practice everyday and usually get passed, mounted, choked out a time or two. But thats the only way to improve my game. I don't panic when this happens because i now see this as a learning experience when i'm in a bad position, as opposed to "oh shit" and freaking out. Hope that helps

slow breaths and think.

it's inevitable, you will be in bad positions. remember how you got there and how to escape. though time and experience, you'll learn not to.

Don't panic? I don't really understand what the problem is if you get in a bad position just relax and do what you know. Try starting in bad positions and drilling escapes. If you have a way out that you know works it isn't so bad to be in a bad spot.

Just breathe man, theres always something you can do to improve position

Panic as in "oh shit im in a bad position" than freak out

Sounds to me like you spend the entire time anticipating getting caught in a bad position, and you do this until you do, in fact, get caught in a bad position. I'm guessing you try to play super defensive and survive for as long as possible right?

Am I even close?

I like to roll with my eyes closed sometimes. It helps keep me more calm. Try it sometime, when you are in a tight position. You can feel the areas where you can move, and you use your eyes less than you might think in a roll.

Don't panic? I don't really understand what the problem is if you get in a bad position just relax and do what you know. Try starting in bad positions and drilling escapes. If you have a way out that you know works it isn't so bad to be in a bad spot.

Seriously, sometimes it is as simply as that. Just keep reminding yourself not to panic. Your thoughts influence your feelings. The more you deal with those intense emotions from your rolling, the better grappler you will become. Ironically, then it becomes even more enjoyable.

weed............but seriously it just takes time to get used to thinking "hey I got caught now time to get a better position" instead of "OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT" also try to regulate your breathing.

Buy Jiu-Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro, and the whole first chapter is dedicated to surviving bad positions. Huge help.

Yeah, you need to have 650 posts on an MMA forum to have anything intelligent to say... :rolleyes:

you didnt know? regardless of real life experience the person with the mosts post is automatically smarter than you and better at any martial arts than you.

Time, and practice. The calm will come with confidence. Eddie Bravo said pot works wonders also:icon_chee

Back