Are there any ways to help me not panic when i get into a bad position

MachineMan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
most of the time when i spar whenever i get in a bad position i tend to panic and give my partner a big advantage how can i keep this from happening

Spend a week naked with a gay man.

Learn survival positions first (cf. Saulo's book). That gives you time to compose your thoughts, relax, and then start working an escape. After a while it becomes second nature and you won't have the panic reflex anymore.

For example, if someone gets mount immediately protect the neck/collars and bridge to get on your side. From there you have some time to work an escape (as opposed to freaking out and randomly bridging/shrimping/pushing your opponent).

from being in side control, which is where most people panic, keep your arms close, and press your forearm into their throat, insta-space

most of the time when i spar whenever i get in a bad position i tend to panic and give my partner a big advantage how can i keep this from happening

It's actually extremely simple, in theory. Your coach has probably covered the positions that you panic in, so drill the techniques you have been taught. Allow yourself to be put in unfavorable positions, in sparring, and work your way out of them. And don't just drill until you get it right, drill until you cannot get it wrong.

I say "in theory" because if it was really that simple, everyone would be a black belt.

Panic as in you make mistakes? Or claustrophobia?

There is different help depending on the answer. If it's the latter, it's way more common among grapplers than you would guess.

Panic as in you make mistakes? Or claustrophobia?

There is different help depending on the answer. If it's the latter, it's way more common among grapplers than you would guess.

Panic as in "oh shit im in a bad position" than freak out

Can't answer from a BJJ perspective, but when I first started wrestling similar problem.

1) Time and experience 2) like poster above said purposely start in the bad position and work 3) drill the proper defense in slow motion, over and over again, slowly speeding up. May take awhile but eventually will train muscles, muscle memory, and you will react instinctively and wont think about it.

No quick way. But is there ever?

Perhaps you're too focussed on 'winning', and just need to accept that, when put in a bad position, you may end up being subbed/'defeated'. I only suggest this because I have a friend who spazzes out at times because he fears getting beaten.

Honestly, just relax. It takes experience and time. That is normal, and you will overcome it with practice. Learn to meditate during your off time. I used to close my eyes when I got that feeling - and then quickly count to 5 - when I was a white belt. Focus on breathing normally!!!!! Drill your escapes a lot during your open mats (you don't have to roll during open mat, BTW).

DON'T PANIC

Just remember to bring a towel, then you'll be fine! :icon_chee

Whenever you get mounted just accept that you will get submitted and you will lose. Keeping that in mind protect your neck and arms and try not to worry about the fact that you WILL LOSE. See what the other guy has to do in order to keep you down and submit you. Once losing isn't the end of the world anymore you won't worry and freak out so much making you more comfortable in the position.

I watch this guy grapple who doesn't make a habit of working on his ground game because he's claustrophobic and hates been in small spaces, so when he gets into a guillotine or something he will actually power out but will end up gassed.
That made me realise how lucky I was getting over my claustrophobic tendencies because I just remain calm and breath, in practice I sometimes close my eyes but obviously it's not the cleverest thing to do when your in a comp.

mat time mat time mat time. and as other have posted above starting in the bad postion is a good way to learn, also key is to relax when sparring with teammates. especially when you are a beginner, you are supposed to get destroyed.

I would say to learn as much about good positioning and escaping as you can, some stuff you will remember and some you will not. But start putting that in use piece by piece when you get into bad positions.

Panic as in "oh shit im in a bad position" than freak out

It's a game. If you lose, you tap and start over. I don't see how that could induce panic. What's the worst that can happen? You tap. How long have you been rolling?

Breathe regularly and try to relax as much as possible. Make that a priority. Once you develop that skill, then work your escapes. It's a trained skill like any other so practice being calm

Try to think or rainbows, or kittens with top hats on. Usually works for me.

I used to panic when people would put knee on belly on me. Then one day I stayed after with a blue belt and he put knee on belly on me and had me just sit there for 1-2 min and focus on relaxing and breathing. Two years later and that drill still allows me to remain calm and not freak out.

Back