Are There Any Top Judo Fighters Today?

It's too bad that catch has been basically dead for decades. It would have been really interesting to see those guys in the early days of MMA.

If catch wrestling had been a high profile grappling art instead of freestyle wrestling or folkstyle then it probably would have been the best grappling base for MMA.

I've always kind of liked Sonnen but if he said that then I think he is way off base.
It's like BJJ. If all you do is train in a gi, and expect everything to still work without it, you're boned. If you train without one, it can be effectively adapted. But with such a high quality collegiate wrestling program in the US you aren't going to see many Americans go into it, which will greatly limit how much you'll see it in the UFC just due to demographics.

remember that French guy on TUF who wanted to prove to the world that the French aren't a bunch of wimps.....he then quit between rounds......was he one of your Judokas?

Ask teddy riner and the girl who butcher ronda in the wc final.
Talking about norman paraysy is such a low blow, this dude is a troll and he did came back in the tuf lol.

lol there have been plenty high level judokas who hasn't really had a great deal of success in MMA, I wouldn't make such a bold statement

for example, Akiyama right now is probably the highest level judoka in UFC, counting Rousey,Lombard....

French judokas = gold in the olympics.
Did sexyama was a gold olympian?

France is #1 in judo, its a fact

It's like BJJ. If all you do is train in a gi, and expect everything to still work without it, you're boned. If you train without one, it can be effectively adapted. But with such a high quality collegiate wrestling program in the US you aren't going to see many Americans go into it, which will greatly limit how much you'll see it in the UFC just due to demographics.
I don't really follow amateur wrestling, but isn't the sport kind of headed toward trouble? I've heard that a ton of colleges have had to drop their teams because of title IX bullshit.

Since when did it become French judokas = gold in olympics

and number 1 in judo

2098?

Nonsense. Armlocks and chokes has been in judo since before Helio and Carlos was born, go back and watch some chokes and armlocks from 1964 olympic's or before. Kimura a famous judoka, destroyed Helio's arm with an eh.. "kimura" back in 1951...

not Brazilian ju jitsu

IIRC Valentina Shevchenko is a black belt in judo.

As a Judo/wrestler myself, I love to watch these styles in mma, they bring excitement to me.

But are there any judo fighters - who actually utilize the art?

Ronda Rousey was... but idk where she went- too embarrassed because Holm slept her. Dong Hyun Kim is probably the best example right now? or Nurmagomedov? Khabilov or Makhachev (I know that both have a sambo base).

I recently discovered a Judo fighter at Invicta, Cindy Cinderella Dandois, she finished Jessmyn duke with a hip trhow followed by an unsual armbar.

Amanda Nunes used her judo skills to reverse a takedown attempt by Miesha

tonya-evinger-vs-cindy-dandois-at-invicta-fc10-04-12-14-by-esther-lin.jpg

Cindy-Dandois-Miesha-Tate-ppic.jpg

I recently discovered a Judo fighter at Invicta, Cindy Cinderella Dandois, she finished Jessmyn duke with a hip trhow followed by an unsual armbar.

Amanda Nunes used her judo skills to reverse a takedown attempt by Miesha

tonya-evinger-vs-cindy-dandois-at-invicta-fc10-04-12-14-by-esther-lin.jpg

Cindy-Dandois-Miesha-Tate-ppic.jpg
DAYUM!

From what I understand, most Judoka's and the organizations look at MMA as barbaric and not something they'd want to compete in.

It's a shame, because, I like Judo alot and wish we could see more great throws in the sport. It's one of the best aspects of grappling. Too bad Jiu Jitsu competitions don't have more throws going on.

When I participated in NAGA, I couldn't even do a flying heel hook. That would have gotten me DQ'd. Haa

I saw a competitor get DQ for a throw/slam that honestly wasn't that bad at all.

But... the Judo in the Asian Games is at the highest level, while the Olympics are too, the Asian Games have the very best judokas.

Since when did it become French judokas = gold in olympics

and number 1 in judo

2098?

2012 Olympic game judo medals :

1 Russia -> 5 medals 3 gold
2 France --> 7 medals 2 gold
3 South Korea 3 medals
4 Japan 7 medals but only one gold
5 cuba 3 medals

World championship medal since inception
1 Japan 304 medals
2 France 151 medals
3 Korea 89 medals
4 Cuba 74 medals

So Yep Japan / Korea / Cuba / France are the historical big 4 in Judo....

Karo Parysian doesn't even have a record on judoinside or the main judo information website, compared to Fedor. I am fairly sure Fedor was much high level Judo competitor than Karo Parysian. When you are placing third in Russia and in olympic team vying for the spot, a guy like Karo probably doesn't hold a candle next to him

If you are referring to the word "top", then OK Karo does not have a stellar judo record. However, is that because his judo is only average or is it because his main focus was on MMA? Well, his first MMA fight was at 16 and from that point on he was training mainly in MMA. You be the judge... however, regardless of Karo's judo record he was one of the first judokas who became successful mixed martial artists.

I don't really follow amateur wrestling, but isn't the sport kind of headed toward trouble? I've heard that a ton of colleges have had to drop their teams because of title IX bullshit.
NCAA wrestling is being cut out slowly but surely, yes. The programs that survived title IX are facing issues due to it not being a financial draw nor yielding any real pro crossover, and that funding is being put into other sports. More programs are being removed than instated and there are about half as many programs as there were twenty years ago, give or take. The college I wrested at got rid of its program several years ago, sadly.

Back