Are There Any Top Judo Fighters Today?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
As a Judo/wrestler myself, I love to watch these styles in mma, they bring excitement to me.

But are there any judo fighters - who actually utilize the art?

Ronda Rousey was... but idk where she went- too embarrassed because Holm slept her. Dong Hyun Kim is probably the best example right now? or Nurmagomedov? Khabilov or Makhachev (I know that both have a sambo base).

Hmm. Good question.

I miss Karo Parisyan.

"Judo sucks, it has no level of success in UFC, it doesn't work, it's garbage"'

- Chael P Sonnen

Big Ronda is her new name on Sherdog, so refer to her as that please.

Sexyama and that one dude who lost to Fedor and just fought Rampage are the only dudes I can think of.

"Judo sucks, it has no level of success in UFC, it doesn't work, it's garbage"'

- Chael P Sonnen

I've always kind of liked Sonnen but if he said that then I think he is way off base.

karo parisian and ronda. thats it

time to pick a different art

Your champion,
tumblr_oa32eksHx51rofocqo3_500.gif

Kim along with any other top judoka pretty much abandoned straight judo for wrestling. Wrestling is clearly the better style for MMA. At this point in time it appears to be better to be a wrestler with a few select judo techniques in the arsenal.

Kim along with any other top judoka pretty much abandoned straight judo for wrestling. Wrestling is clearly the better style for MMA. At this point in time it appears to be better to be a wrestler with a few select judo techniques in the arsenal.
Okami also did this and even ishii.

From what I understand, most Judoka's and the organizations look at MMA as barbaric and not something they'd want to compete in.

It's a shame, because, I like Judo alot and wish we could see more great throws in the sport. It's one of the best aspects of grappling. Too bad Jiu Jitsu competitions don't have more throws going on.

Back