are there any throws available when you grab the front of his belt? (not Georgian grip)

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I wind up in this position all the time in sparring and I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. There must be SOME type of throw available, but I've asked some judo people and they just say, "don't do that, you can't throw from there."

I'm not finding any throws from this position on youtube.

Any ideas?

I assume you can also inside trip from this position as well, or at the very least pull your opponent towards you to get an underhook

Tsuri Goshi, osoto gari, cross body harai goshi / oguruma are all technically possible.

I wind up in this position all the time in sparring and I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. There must be SOME type of throw available, but I've asked some judo people and they just say, "don't do that, you can't throw from there."

I'm not finding any throws from this position on youtube.

Any ideas?
Knew i'd seen a single video years ago on front belt grips, after a root around youtube this was it.

I'm sure you could do some form of kouchi or ouchi gari, use it to duck-under to a body lock and a few other things too if you played with it for a bit.

Knew i'd seen a single video years ago on front belt grips, after a root around youtube this was it.

I'm sure you could do some form of kouchi or ouchi gari, use it to duck-under to a body lock and a few other things too if you played with it for a bit.

I might try that sacrifice throw.

here is a classic one:

It might be worth checking out some Mongolian Wrestling, as they seem to use a similar grip on occasion (more so than in Judo at least)

here is a classic one:

It might be worth checking out some Mongolian Wrestling, as they seem to use a similar grip on occasion (more so than in Judo at least)

Fantastic video, thanks for posting that! I went through the rest of that channel (I assume it's yours -- great videos, btw) and found this video. Am I wrong in thinking you could attack the overhook with this?

Fantastic video, thanks for posting that! I went through the rest of that channel (I assume it's yours -- great videos, btw) and found this video. Am I wrong in thinking you could attack the overhook with this?

Thanks! Not sure what you mean by 'attack the overhook'? Does uke or tori have the overhook? Either way I am struggling to picture it functioning, because you really need the space / manoeuvrability from the inside cross grip in order to turn in for the reverse seoi, being clinched up with overhooks / underhook wouldn't really afford the space - hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks! Not sure what you mean by 'attack the overhook'? Does uke or tori have the overhook? Either way I am struggling to picture it functioning, because you really need the space / manoeuvrability from the inside cross grip in order to turn in for the reverse seoi, being clinched up with overhooks / underhook wouldn't really afford the space - hopefully that makes sense.

Sorry, my terminology is worthless today. I meant when he's reaching over my shoulder and grabbing the back of my gi. As I imagine it in my head, I think that reverse seoi would work.

Sorry, my terminology is worthless today. I meant when he's reaching over my shoulder and grabbing the back of my gi. As I imagine it in my head, I think that reverse seoi would work.

Ah ok - Yes, you can't let them close you in with the grip on the back though - you use the cross grip to keep them at bay, pressuring against their armpit / lapel, so that you manage the space and they are over-extending / reaching for their grip - then turn in for the attack.

example:

Last edited:
this is more popular in Shuai Chiao/Jiao than in other throwing arts. I think they call it the “front gate”? Anyway, you can do a modified tai otoshi-type throw, a momo-guruma, kouchi/ouchi gari, tsuri goshi, and a couple other throws I can’t remember. Wish I could remember the Chinese names but it’s been too long.

This is the weirdest/funniest/creepiest grappling video I've ever seen.
That rooster crow at 2:45 I died.

The weird religious fanaticism plug at the end is just icing on the cake.

Yakimov does an awesome one hip bump o goshi with the front belt grip.

Back