Are there any professional sports where a world-class manlet can excel at against bigger opponents?

In Euro football it's an advantage to have a low center of gravity and the ability to accelerate quickly if you are playing certain positions. Messi has left hundreds of big defenders in the dust over the years.

Seriously bro

giphy.gif

how was this possible? He was literally 3x his size (for real this time). Is the bigger guy a can?
You are an mma fan and yet you are baffled that a small guy can beat a bigger guy?

Football and baseball there are examples of it everywhere. Basketball it happens but not as much because the whole game revolves around height. Pretty much all the sports you listed that said it doesn't happen, it does

the reigning AL (thats baseball) MVP is 5′ 6″.

definitely with soccer. the greatest player of all time, diego maradona, was like 5'5". yes, he's better than messi, ronaldo, pele, etc., to me anyway.

Came here to say Maradona.

The Barcelona team of the late 00s early 10s was made up of borderline midgets.

Tennis is mostly medium sized guys, interestingly. The big guys don't reach the pinnacle and the smaller guys don't seem to stay there long.
No manlets at the top level in tennis. Height is the biggest advantage possible in tennis. It's more important than strength, explosiveness, speed, reflexes, and cardio.

If you look at the US open, you have multiple guys the height of Stefan Struve competing at this US Open: John Isner, Kevin Anderson, etc. Then you just tons and tons of 6'6" guys: Cilic, Del Potro, just tons of guys. "Short" in tennis today is like 6'-6'1".

The 6'10-7' guys in tennis can barely walk, have terrible groundstrokes, just terrible -- even worse than Struve's skillset in the UFC. They're awful. But height is just such an advantage that they still kick ass.

Last edited:
Soccer have the biggest worldwide competition, no weight classes and still 5'7 Messi for many is #1

Neymar is 5'9

Maradona was 5'4 wich kinda was like today 5'7

And it was'nt limited to elegant tecnique guys, i mean Gattuso built his career on bulldog his opponents at 5'9, dude was like Tazmania lol

Cannavaro at his peak was the best defender of the world at 5'9

Of course there are taller incredible players too, like 6'1 Cristiano Ronaldo, or Ibra at 6'4

In soccer tall guys and short guys have different advantages

No manlets at the top level in tennis. Height is the biggest advantage possible in tennis. It's more important than strength, explosiveness, speed, reflexes, and cardio.

If you look at the US open, you have multiple guys the height of Stefan Struve competing at this US Open: John Isner, Kevin Anderson, etc. Then you just tons and tons of 6'6" guys: Cilic, Del Potro, just tons of guys. "Short" in tennis today is like 6'-6'1".

The 6'10-7' guys in tennis can barely walk, have terrible groundstrokes, just terrible -- even worse than Struve's skillset in the UFC. They're awful. But height is just such an advantage that they still kick ass.

Federer and Nadal are 6'1'', Murray and Djokovic are 6'2''. In my country that's medium sized or maybe a little above average. Height can help you get a powerful serve, but the players that are that tall don't tend to reach the very top of the game.

Yes of course, it just depends on their position. Somebody already mentioned Altuve in baseball. In football, if you're a stocky RB or a twitchy slot, it's pretty hard to tackle you or to keep up. Johnny Hockey is ripping up hockey. I'm sure there are quite a few short forwards in soccer, Messi being one of them but I don't really know shit about soccer. Not the norm, but definitely a possibility.

Horse Jockeys don’t count as they compete against other manlets. Olympic weight lifting comes to mind. I think manlets actually have an advantage here. Probably gymnastics as well. You can pretty much rule out the following:

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Boxing/MMA

I’m on the fence with soccer and tennis.

In boxing Lomachenko is a small, so is PBF.

In hockey you have Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, and Syd the kid is pretty small

Back