Are there any gyms that teach bjj & judo

See, that's exactly how it should be. Your gym sounds awesome.
Thanks, I just think it makes perfect sense. I don't follow the current judo rules although I make sure my students who compete in judo know them very well. But here we don't mind wrestlers shooting for legs. We usually start with standing techniques drills as the warm up and then move on to BJJ. We start our sparring with standing only and then ground only. Everyone is happy and so far no one got hurt because of Judo. Yes we do our roll outs at the beginning of the class.

Shameless self promotion here. I am the head BJJ instructor at the Yamasaki Academy Woodbridge in Woodbridge, VA. I am a first degree BJJ Black Belt and teach all the classes. We also have Judo which is run and taught by Maurice Allan who is an 8th Dan Judoka. Maurice also teaches at our Springfield location where my coach, Francisco Neto, teaches all the BJJ classes. He is a 4th degree BJJ black belt.

We had 7 competitors in a sub only tournament over the weekend. We won the takedown battles. In the sub only format it is huge to get to play from the top imop.

We had 7 competitors in a sub only tournament over the weekend. We won the takedown battles. In the sub only format it is huge to get to play from the top imop.

I'm not sure I agree with this completely. In a submission only tournament it sometimes makes the most to wear your opponent down over time. In no-gi, I usually coach my guys that if they are with a wrestler/Judo guy keep getting back up and let them take you down. I even argue against working super hard to stop a guard pass that is going to require an extreme amount of movement to stop. Let them burn that energy up and just T Rex the arms.

This is my advice for the intermediate to advanced competitors. My two best competitors in sub only have average match times of 20 minutes and 45 minutes. That's a strategic move on our part.

This sounds like an ideal set up

This is more or less the same setup we have. Judo and BJJ school co-existing. The head instructors of the Judo club train BJJ and are both blue belts now. All their other BB instructors either train BJJ as well or at minimum have some respect for the newaza aspect of the game. That's the kicker - many judo clubs straight up hate newaza and really don't engage well with it. Guess we're lucky in that regard.

the idea that training in judo is not helpful for a BJJ player is just laughable.

Much truth in this post.

It's rare that guys have enough free time and healing capacity to train both at meaningful intensity. I've seen it done, but it is extremely tough and largely limited to young guys whose lives revolve around grappling + have great physical recovery. Both arts are simply too hard to learn unless you really go balls-out on your training intensity and consistency.

Much more common is to train in sequence at full intensity, where you devote your training to one and then later the other. Xande recommends that you spend two years training straight judo if you want to develop judo proficiency for BJJ.

I do about three BJJ classes for every judo class. I'm 26 now and perpetually sore it seems. I've been considering dedicating a couple years just to Judo, but Judo has had a big impact on my game. The kouchi gari changed the game, and my side control is very judo based. Although I'm still struggling with kesa gatame against bigger opponents.

This is more or less the same setup we have. Judo and BJJ school co-existing. The head instructors of the Judo club train BJJ and are both blue belts now. All their other BB instructors either train BJJ as well or at minimum have some respect for the newaza aspect of the game. That's the kicker - many judo clubs straight up hate newaza and really don't engage well with it. Guess we're lucky in that regard.

the idea that training in judo is not helpful for a BJJ player is just laughable.

Yeah I'm lucky in that respect as well. The place I train has a great judo coach who is also a black belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu. Rolled with him last night and just destroyed me on the mat. His pressure from kesa gatame is what I aspire to have.

Last edited:
yea, my instructor is a judo and bjj black belt. we have one dedicated judo class a week

I'm not sure I agree with this completely. In a submission only tournament it sometimes makes the most to wear your opponent down over time. In no-gi, I usually coach my guys that if they are with a wrestler/Judo guy keep getting back up and let them take you down. I even argue against working super hard to stop a guard pass that is going to require an extreme amount of movement to stop. Let them burn that energy up and just T Rex the arms.

This is my advice for the intermediate to advanced competitors. My two best competitors in sub only have average match times of 20 minutes and 45 minutes. That's a strategic move on our part.

I guess that's one way to look at it.

I prefer to take down and stay heavy (even little guys). Make the bottom guy work to sweep or get up. I guess it depends on how you train. We generally sweep from the bottom and are pretty good at maintaining top position.

If you are good at takedowns most bjj guys don't take much effort to win the takedown game. A few foot sweeps and on top I go. A takedown straight to side control is even better.

I am blessed to have a 6th Dan in Judo and BJJ Brown Belt as the senior at both of my Judo clubs (yes its the same guy).

No need for separate classes, I get the best of both worlds.

Mine is primarily a jiu jitsu gym, but Monday nights is Judo. Taught by a black belt in Judo and Sambo. It's pretty awesome. We'll typically start standing on Saturdays as well

So not the most Judo, but I feel I'll be better standing in tournaments than most pure Bjj guys

I guess that's one way to look at it.

I prefer to take down and stay heavy (even little guys). Make the bottom guy work to sweep or get up. I guess it depends on how you train. We generally sweep from the bottom and are pretty good at maintaining top position.

If you are good at takedowns most bjj guys don't take much effort to win the takedown game. A few foot sweeps and on top I go. A takedown straight to side control is even better.

I am all about sweeps, for sure. My entire bottom game is predicated on the concept of using sweeps to either score, or provide unbalancing to open up submissions. And don't get me wrong, I agree that it should be easier to get a submission from the top than the bottom. At least in theory, it should. But repeatedly working say Ippon Seoinage in a submission tournament would get very tiring over time. As would shooting double legs.

The last US Grappling submission only we did (which are the only ones we will do) one of my purple belts faced a very good wrestler who didn't have very good submissions. So we kept getting my guy to get back to standing where the wrestler couldn't help himself but keep shooting big, sweeping double legs. The match lasted 40 minutes, the guy did AT LEAST 15 big overhead double legs. And couldn't stand up at the end of the match after my guy finally armlocked him.

Meanwhile our guy advanced and wasn't too winded.

Strategy is match specific. There is no overall strategy that always works, especially when there is no time limit when one of the best strategies might be to let someone do what they want if what they are doing is big, tiring movements. That was really all my point was. I am in 100% agreement with you that on top is the place to be in most situations.

I am blessed to have a 6th Dan in Judo and BJJ Brown Belt as the senior at both of my Judo clubs (yes its the same guy).

No need for separate classes, I get the best of both worlds.

I prefer the separate classes, to be honest. As the head coach for the BJJ class, it's great to be able to be a student again in our Judo program. And I want to learn Judo for Judo sake, not for how to best use it in BJJ. If I did a Judo tournament, I want to have been training Judo specifically and win using Judo.

There's not enough time in a single class to concentrate on both very well, IMO. At least not in a way that can ensure good repetition to provide expertise in a timely manner.

I am all about sweeps, for sure. My entire bottom game is predicated on the concept of using sweeps to either score, or provide unbalancing to open up submissions. And don't get me wrong, I agree that it should be easier to get a submission from the top than the bottom. At least in theory, it should. But repeatedly working say Ippon Seoinage in a submission tournament would get very tiring over time. As would shooting double legs.

The last US Grappling submission only we did (which are the only ones we will do) one of my purple belts faced a very good wrestler who didn't have very good submissions. So we kept getting my guy to get back to standing where the wrestler couldn't help himself but keep shooting big, sweeping double legs. The match lasted 40 minutes, the guy did AT LEAST 15 big overhead double legs. And couldn't stand up at the end of the match after my guy finally armlocked him.

Meanwhile our guy advanced and wasn't too winded.

Strategy is match specific. There is no overall strategy that always works, especially when there is no time limit when one of the best strategies might be to let someone do what they want if what they are doing is big, tiring movements. That was really all my point was. I am in 100% agreement with you that on top is the place to be in most situations.

This is te internet, I feel like I should argue just because it is. I think we are closer to agreeing than our original posts suggested.

Generally I dislike the double for Gi. It is just too hard to get past the grips and if you do gi chokes are plentiful if you don't finish right away. Foot sweeps are money.

This is te internet, I feel like I should argue just because it is. I think we are closer to agreeing than our original posts suggested.

Agreed. What a lame argument on our part. I am disappointed in both of us. Next time let's at least bring up religion or politics or something!

You don't need takedowns to compete in bjj.
And judo in particular in my experience has very little use unless you are really good in it.

yeah good luck trying to pull guard and play the rubber guard
when a bunch of people are trying to curb stomp you

Back