Are there any gyms that teach bjj & judo

Barbadosdaluta

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to have to pay two gyms, I'm broke, but I'd like to do both, what do? :(

Probably Caio Terra has the best of both worlds you can get.

Some of the big gyms over here like the budokwai have world class judo instruction and BB BJJ instruction too.

Maybe jimmy pedro affiliates or the like have something similar.

i thought a lot of gyms had judo classes too. mine does anyway.

Doesn't Dave Camarillo do that? Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu

We do but you will have to change country

Any judo club will teach you both judo and bjj.

Any bjj club will tell you they also teach judo :)

But lots of schools that I've been to (or heard of) have had dedicated Judo classes separate from the BJJ classes. The Judo instructor is either part of the school or time slots are given to an established Judo Club with an open invite for the BJJ students to train. It usually starts out as a lot of crosstraining but after a while, the Judo guys only do Judo and BJJ guys just do BJJ. Really difficult to do both evenly. Most of the guys I know who crosstrain in both get good at one before starting the other. I know a bunch of Judo black belts who now do jiu jitsu and some Jiu jitsu blackbelts who now do Judo but I don't know a single lower/mid rank player with a foot in both sports.

We have 2 judo classes per week (one hour, 100% standup, different ranking system, etc) and something like 30 BJJ classes. Move to Richmond and sign up at Revolution BJJ.

www.revolutionbjj.com

But lots of schools that I've been to (or heard of) have had dedicated Judo classes separate from the BJJ classes. The Judo instructor is either part of the school or time slots are given to an established Judo Club with an open invite for the BJJ students to train. It usually starts out as a lot of crosstraining but after a while, the Judo guys only do Judo and BJJ guys just do BJJ. Really difficult to do both evenly. Most of the guys I know who crosstrain in both get good at one before starting the other. I know a bunch of Judo black belts who now do jiu jitsu and some Jiu jitsu blackbelts who now do Judo but I don't know a single lower/mid rank player with a foot in both sports.

This has been my experience, too. The judo club is glad to have a place with permanent mats and keeps their members and will train BJJ players in exchange for free training space. Unfortunately the judo guys stick to judo and BJJ guys don't cross train unless they started in judo prior. Usually the more competition-oriented the BJJ guys are, the less likely they are to take the judo classes, from what I've seen.

We have 2 judo classes per week (one hour, 100% standup, different ranking system, etc) and something like 30 BJJ classes. Move to Richmond and sign up at Revolution BJJ.

www.revolutionbjj.com

If you offer 2 Judo classes per week, 100% standup and a separate ranking system, is the ranking system in Judo? Or is the ranking in your own style?

Any judo club will teach you both judo and bjj.

popcorn.gif

*raises hand*

I train at different schools though. Always have.

My BJJ has been intermittent, I admit. Judo is definitely my focus.

If you offer 2 Judo classes per week, 100% standup and a separate ranking system, is the ranking system in Judo? Or is the ranking in your own style?

It's in judo. USJA is the parent organization, and they go white --> yellow --> orange --> green --> brown (sankyu, nikkyu, ikkyu) --> black.

BJJ is, well, BJJ. White --> blue --> purple --> brown --> black.

It's in judo. USJA is the parent organization, and they go white --> yellow --> orange --> green --> brown (sankyu, nikkyu, ikkyu) --> black.

Wait, USJA has an extra belt to get to black?
I thought USJA made their ranking system as Wh,YL, OR, GR, BL, BR, BLK.

USJF is W, G, Bl, BR x3, BL.

Last edited:

I don't mean this in any disrespect but I gotta ask, don't your Judo students have to learn more than just 100% standup to move up the ranks? Or do the Judo instructors track their ground grappling in the BJJ classes?

This has been my experience, too. The judo club is glad to have a place with permanent mats and keeps their members and will train BJJ players in exchange for free training space. Unfortunately the judo guys stick to judo and BJJ guys don't cross train unless they started in judo prior. Usually the more competition-oriented the BJJ guys are, the less likely they are to take the judo classes, from what I've seen.

This is my case.

We run our BJJ club out of a Judo Club.

4 Judo classes per week and 2 BJJ classes (and one open mats at another location) per week.

The 2 clubs are 2 separate entities but we considerer each other as sister clubs.

It was difficult at the beginning to get people to cross train.

It is free to attend the other classes if you are a member of one of the club.

So far, the cross training has really picked up (mostly younger members).

I call them the hybrids!

If a Judoka attends our BJJ program, I will promote them as well.

So we are talking about wearing a white belt with a black tab, I will give a stripe etc..

We promoted a brown belt to blue belt because he was a beast on the mats.

Another Judoka was promoted straight to blue after his trip to the Kodokan where he earned his shodan via shiai.

We do not really worry about what belt you wear etc..

Wait, USJA has an extra belt to get to black?
I thought USJA made their ranking system as Wh,YL, OR, GR, BL, BR, BLK.

USJF is W, G, Bl, BR x3, BL.

USJA doesn't use blue for adults.

It's Wh, Y, O, Gr, BR 3x, BL.

Most serious BJJ schools I know of offer 1-2 classes of either wrestling or judo. After all, how can one claim they teach self defense or prepare one to compete (at least on a local level) if their students have no idea how to initiate or stop a takedown?

Oh and in Australia, judo is: yellow, orange, green, blue, brown then black. Currently on orange (and blue in BJJ) so I've got a long way to go.

Back