Are there any fans with the experience of getting beaten up badly like (some) MMA fighters?

How did it feel like?

Do you think you have a different kind of respect towards MMA fighters because of your experience?
Yes, it makes you understand and respect more their work. It can seem easy to tell fighters to move or to make an effort and get up, the reality is a bit different.

tumblr_inline_mjk3zua2jZ1qz4rgp.gif
Skyrockets in flight, afternoon delight!

My dad used to come home drunk and put a belt, a stick and a wrench on the table and just say "choose"

I chose the wrench cause fuck him.
My dad used to come home drunk and put a belt, a stick and a wrench on the table and just say "choose"

I chose the wrench cause fuck him.
I hope this is a joke cause it's funny as fuck

But I thought all Sherdoggers were undefeated?

When I was twenty I had the crap kicked out of me by a half dozen football players. A lot of punches, they tossed me around a parking lot, and way too many kicks to the ribs. I could barely breathe for a month.

I got assulated by a guy at school that was a year older than me, he played for a international U19 sports team, he never liked me from the start of school and waited until the year my big brother left school. I didnt get knocked out but I had a week off school to recover from my injuries.
No I don't feel for these fighters, if they want to do it that is their choice, that is why I like to watch MMA because there is a 3rd person in the ring to stop it at anytime, there was no one to stop that gorilla from beating my ass while I was down though.

Been jumped once by a bunch of wimps who all got free shots on me, and barely even gave me a few bruises. That was much more mentally draining than anything that actually happened in the fight. Beating a guy so badly that he went into the hospital to have emergency surgery was a good eye opener for me. Winning the fight like that didn't make me feel good at all, even though I was left with no choice.

Getting the crap beaten out of me in Mui Thai training was much worse than that. Realizing that I wasn't the striker that I thought I was kinda sucks when you face guys who have trained for a long time. The every day grind of drills and training plus sparring wars is what gives me more respect for MMA fighters. That is much harder than the actual fight itself to me.

I got punched in the face about 15+ times while being held down by two other people. I was lucky the guy only threw arm punches and I was in mount on top (they grabbed my neck and arm because I took him down after he sucker punched me because he was a drunk asshole). My face was covered in blood, my nose was broke and my eye was swollen shut. I was fine though, I was just really pissed.

Also got stomped on my face before once. It also made my eye swell shut and my cheek was swollen badly. They thought my cheekbone may have been broken. I got into a fight with one of my friends back in high school, and we both happened to train combat sambo together so it got a bit violent.

Never truly took a serious beating though and that includes the MMA fights I have had.

I grappled with Josh Koscheck once. Separated my shoulder.

Somehow I could see Koscheck thinking about it that same night and cracking a smile and feeling sort of proud of himself.

Just the kind of guy he is.

Hearing about everyone's beatdowns and involuntary street wars is pretty interesting. Thanks for the contributions.

I boxed for 25 years. I've had my bell rang pretty good. That part I can relate to.

Yeah, I boxed for a long time and got hurt and beaten in my am fights and sparring a bunch of times, but I've never taken a straight up beating like you can in the pros alone. The worst I had was getting my nose busted across my face, and I hardly even knew at the time. White light, found myself on the floor, got straight back up and we started again for a bit until the guy and my coach realised what was wrong and jumped in cause I was pouring blood all over the place. Brutal in the week or so afterwards though. Still a bit wonky these days, but mostly ok lol. The worst pain I ever felt though was from a perfect body shot and I think this was what made me realise I didn't have the necessary passion and dedication to succeed as I might have wanted. Too much partying and not enough focus and it got shown to me in the worst way possible. Swear to god it's been more tender than it should ever since then lol.

I got murked 3 or 4 times when I was at school. Was too scared to throw a punch back at them.

Got jumped by a group of guys when I was 18, nose bleed was the only damage. It's surprising how bad people are at fighting.

Getting punched in the face doesn't actually feel that bad, the nerves as it's all going on are quite scary though. Always feel like I'm about to start crying.

I got KO cold from a knee in a Thai clinch - which was painless.

One time in sparring I got hit with a huge left hook across the nose which was awful. It wasn't full power but I slipped right into it - made me realize that while I enjoy training I could never compete in this sport.

hespect to the athletes.

i got my lip split by a knee,a broken toe,and a broken finger,all from jiu jitsu. I could always just go to the bathroom and take a break,and i see the guys who have to mentally tune the pain out when that stuff would happen. Tough hombres.

Back