Are there any 4 oz gloves that don't cut up your hands, especially your thumbs?

Ninja Realist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the competition 4 oz gloves that require an elaborate wrap underneath, I'm talking about the kind that you just throw on for doing casual bag work at home.

I'm starting to think that 16 oz gloves are just superior in every way for bag work. I need to go get mine out of storage.

I'm not talking about the competition 4 oz gloves that require an elaborate wrap underneath, I'm talking about the kind that you just throw on for doing casual bag work at home.

I'm starting to think that 16 oz gloves are just superior in every way for bag work. I need to go get mine out of storage.

You should always wrap your hands, even, wearing MMA-styled gloves. That being said, if you really want a pair of gloves to hit the bag with I would get harbinger bag gloves.

http://harbingerfitness.com/product/320/ they can normally be found on sale online or at chain sporting good stores.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's many people (including myself) would buy them and do some alterations to turn them into MMA gloves.
- remove the grip bar
- remove the thumb
- remove the last knuckle padding

Michael-Jackson-s-Famous-Glove-Auctioned-on-eBay-2.jpg

These are my bag gloves:

rb5-bk_1.jpg

Are there any benefits to bag gloves over regular gloves? Because I just use my regular gloves for bag work, I feel I get more protection on my hands that way.

Are there any benefits to bag gloves over regular gloves? Because I just use my regular gloves for bag work, I feel I get more protection on my hands that way.

I like them because they allow me to form a much better fist--I can fold my thumb over my closed fingers and emphasize the first two knuckles for impact. They do offer less protection, but that's kind of the point. You definitely know when you land wrong with these gloves on, so it's best to use them slowly when you're still learning, and then graduate to whaling away on the bag when your form is consistently good.

I like them because they allow me to form a much better fist--I can fold my thumb over my closed fingers and emphasize the first two knuckles for impact. They do offer less protection, but that's kind of the point. You definitely know when you land wrong with these gloves on, so it's best to use them slowly when you're still learning, and then graduate to whaling away on the bag when your form is consistently good.

Alright! Thank you for the advice :)

These are my bag gloves:

rb5-bk_1.jpg

These look great. The covered thumb seems like it would go a long way in preventing the cuts and abrasions that inevitably seem to form on the thumb joint within 30 mins to an hour of bag work using standard 4 oz gloves.

If you can hit the bag with those gloves, you're not doing it right.

Back