Are the Valente Bros. the anti Lloyd Irvin school of bjj?

I think he's saying not to promote if their skills are poor. I'm not supporting his argument but I think you've got it a bit backwards there.

I understand his argument to be thr belts represent skills only. If belts represent skill only, why would you permit someone to retain a belt when they no longer retain the skills that represent that belt?

I guess older practitioners could be grandfathered in and retain their belts, but then you are now creating exceptions where belts no longer just represent skills.

Where did I say demote? I said if you can't get to skill levels, you shouldn't be promoted. Maybe you got confused because I said the longevity thing?

I understand his argument to be thr belts represent skills only. If belts represent skill only, why would you permit someone to retain a belt when they no longer retain the skills that represent that belt?

I guess older practitioners could be grandfathered in and retain their belts, but then you are now creating exceptions where belts no longer just represent skills.

Or the belt could be a representation of a skill level they've attained, not necessarily the skill level they're at. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

What does this actually have to do with Lloyd Irvin?

Strictly competition....no longevity

Lloyd seems to have this " take what is yours at all costs " attitude over the Valente Bros. attitude of a healthy lifestyle and good karma ( or so it seems ) .

LI teaches being a medal chaser and producing results in comp. is more important than living a lifestyle of BJJ ( or so it is assumed, he never says this but his actions speaks )

Which of LI's medal chasers have stopped training BJJ? What is making you say that?

They are not a competition school who pays much attention to winning medals but rather on teaching helio gracie's style of jiu jitsu. I wouldn't call them anti lloyd irvin but definitely they are not interested in producing world champions.

Back