Are the Valente Bros. the anti Lloyd Irvin school of bjj?

Amave

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZO-GkNrn8

Seems as though they promote healthy living and healthy attitudes , in this day and age who really knows .

Was watching a belt promotion video and thought to myself they encourage family values and making BJJ fun.

Discuss

I guess they won't rely of competitions results to promote their students.

I guess they won't rely of competitions results to promote their students.

Alot of gyms don't. I liked those GIs lol those sleeves are a bit shorter than regulation :wink:

Congrats to all that got promoted. That would be sick to be promoted among that group.

Alot of gyms don't. I liked those GIs lol those sleeves are a bit shorter than regulation :wink:

Congrats to all that got promoted. That would be sick to be promoted among that group.

I agree, but do they simply teach GJJ & self defense? Or do they also teach sport BJJ ?

I mean they had a huge group, i can't imagine that many people train on a daily basis at their academies?

I asked the one brother about that and hinted that they washed their I in hot water and he responded that the Gi is the same original cut that Helio wore back in brazil.

I love the idea of a black belt with the white bar and testing to get the red "instructor " bar. Old school is sometimes the best.

My gym depends on consistency and attendance to promote us.

Why does their logo have a picture of someone doing a head kick?

GB's promotions are very similar to that too. As long as there is competition, the art will never be "diluted" (unless you get into the Gracie vs sport jj, but that's another story) so I'm all for promoting people based on attendance and consistency or to actually motivate them to get train more consistently as it will benefits them. Belts might not be representing skills as much, but really, why should we care?

Why does their logo have a picture of someone doing a head kick?

It is from a picture where one of the valente brother head kicks helio and helio dodged the kick. you can see the picture on their website.

Is it just me or is the average age of members at that school considerably older than the average bjj school?

Is it just me or is the average age of members at that school considerably older than the average bjj school?

yep.

lot of 40+ and lot of kids as well.

I guess they cater for adults and/or do not have a big turn over of customers.

I mean it sucks to be 40+ purple belts getting worked over by some 19 years 4 stripes white belts.

Maybe they have an environment where seniors stay training until they die.

Nice video!

One thing I noted - I think having the graphic under Royce that says "Royce Gracie: Helio Gracie Navy Belt," sort of highlights the awkwardness of Royce insisting on wearing that belt. I think he should at least be recognized by the degree of BB he has attained (and was actually promoted to by his father, which i believe is 5th,) rather than the belt he took to wearing after his father's death. Of course, Royce can wear whatever he wants.

There are lots of fantastic things in that video, though. I just think the point above is worth pointing out.

yep.

lot of 40+ and lot of kids as well.

I guess they cater for adults and/or do not have a big turn over of customers.

I mean it sucks to be 40+ purple belts getting worked over by some 19 years 4 stripes white belts.

Maybe they have an environment where seniors stay training until they die.

The academy looks like it would be a great place to train if you are 40 and over and have no aspirations of ever being a competitor and have injuries. Most of those guys mayhave quit bjj a long time ago if they trained under a more competitive environment!

GB's promotions are very similar to that too. As long as there is competition, the art will never be "diluted" (unless you get into the Gracie vs sport jj, but that's another story) so I'm all for promoting people based on attendance and consistency or to actually motivate them to get train more consistently as it will benefits them. Belts might not be representing skills as much, but really, why should we care?

True, i wouldn't care so much about skills as much as i would longevity. It seems as though at competition schools the bjj'ers who compete a lot burn out quickly and then scale back their bjj.

I would rather be able to train until into my 50's & 60's rather than burn out my love for BJJ by doing competition after comp. etc.

Belts should represent skills, and lack of belt rank shouldn't hurt longevity. If you're shitty, you can be a bluebelt for life just as effectively as you can be a shitty black belt for life

True, i wouldn't care so much about skills as much as i would longevity. It seems as though at competition schools the bjj'ers who compete a lot burn out quickly and then scale back their bjj.

I would rather be able to train until into my 50's & 60's rather than burn out my love for BJJ by doing competition after comp. etc.

I take it in spurts. I'll generally fight a few times a year, and leading up to those comps I train a lot (keeps my bad food/too much drinking/getting fat under control too). The rest of the time, 3-4 times a week but not as hard. Learning to moderate your training even when you're training a lot is important. Intensity is what burns me out more so than frequency.

Belts should represent skills, and lack of belt rank shouldn't hurt longevity. If you're shitty, you can be a bluebelt for life just as effectively as you can be a shitty black belt for life

So demote if skills diminish due to age/injury? Sounds harsh.

Back