Are the UFC going to sell Werdum/Cain based on Altitude?

He ate a lot of big knees to the body. Those may have had a little to do with it, not just the altitude.

I'm positive body shot gas people out. Also positive six dudes puking was due to altitude. I'm simply saying, the UFC should never have 5 rounders at altitude ever again. They also shouldn't have people with rust coming back to high altitude either. It's needless. And now look were we are - rematch city.

I dont see how you get busted up and finished and get an immediate rematch. What a farce.

I'm positive body shot gas people out. Also positive six dudes puking was due to altitude. I'm simply saying, the UFC should never have 5 rounders at altitude ever again. They also shouldn't have people with rust coming back to high altitude either. It's needless. And now look were we are - rematch city.
Sucks for fans living at altitude, but I would also like less events at such places. Most fighters gas during their walk-outs.

vpbHDwN.jpg

lol

What's really going to be interesting is if they'll do a rubber match if Cain somehow wins. His career will be ridiculous, only fighting 3 guys for 6-7 years of a 10 or 11 year career.

Yeah seriously he has a crazy career. He got ko by JDS then DESTROYS him the next 2 times. I think if he wins he will become the first HW to get the title 3 different times.

Sarcasm?! I love sarcasm!
me too.

Could it be that Werdum was acclimated to the elevation? Maybe, just maybe that he was there in advance training for it? Because everyone keeps saying it is not an issue, but for some reason Werdum trained for it. Why did Werdum train at altitude?

As for the time he had to get there too.... I've heard speculation as to why he is leery of training in Mexico for extended periods of time. But that's speculative. Could he have trained at Mile High Colorado? Sure. It was dumb that he didn't.

Still, it remains a fact that half a dozen dudes vomitted that night. So yes, altitude is a factor. And with this fact, the UFC should've never booked their main guy to fight there after a massive layoff and injury recovery. It's silly.

I never said altitude had no effect on a fighter. In the part of my comment you quoted, i pointed out they both fought at the same altitude. In the part of my comment you omitted, i pointed out that cain had over a year advance notice in which he could have planned and prepared for that altitude.

As you acknowledge, Werdum (who had the same advance notice as cain) prepared for the altitude and it had minimal effect on his performance. Cain didn't, because he's an idiot. That's still his failure and he still earned the loss. He still doesn't deserve a rematch just because he's too stupid to prepare for the fight properly.

So, just to be clear : cain and werdum fought under the same conditions. cain had every opportunity to minimize altitude as a factor in the fight and chose not to. Werdum was smarter than him, better prepared than him, and (at least on that night) more skilled than him. Every one of those things is cain's failure. he deserved the loss and he doesn't deserve a rematch.

On Cain being out of shape?

At high altitude?

Rusty?

"Here is a champion who can be anyone in the world on any given day, who is the baddest man on the planet. But was out for too long, got rusty and fought at high altitude. I can't wait for this fight." - Rogan

Don't be silly, they are going to tell the truth.

Werdum was far better prepared to fight in Mexico City. He brought his own supply of bottled water and food for his team going into the "foreign" country where all I have ever herd is "DON"T DRINK NON BOTTLED. . ." and heeded that warning.

Arizona State standout wrestler and Mexican UFC HW champion Cain wanted to prove he was truly a Mexican at heart and drank that Mexican pee-pee water & ate that real local Mexicain food.

He "Gassed" alright. He was on the crapper the entire night before the fight, and the entire day leading up to it. He finally got his bowels tiogether in time to fight that evening.

Everything was going perfect for the first three minutes of the fight, then that awful "gass" bubble came back.

Cain in horror recognized he had less than 5 minutes until he totally eclipsed the Timmeh shart. He desperately lunged at Fabracio for the takedown in a race for the crapper. He WON the race, but lost the fight and his belt in the process!

It is a totlaay different fight here in Vegas. :icon_chee

After the first time I watched the fight I figured it was due to altitude, but after a second viewing it was clear that the striking of Werdum had dazed Cain - Starting around 2 mins into the round it is clear that Cain is wobbled and everything after that is all Werdum. I think Cain's bread and butter is his pace and his takedowns - both of these advantages had been removed, leading to a dominant finish by Werdum. I think the 2nd fight will be a closer fight, but I still think Werdum takes it 48-47

There is absolutely 100% factor for altitude. Anyone that has been to high places knows what it feels like to just walk around when your not used to it. With that being said there should be no excuses for a fighter whos nickname is "cardio" - its up to him to train smart and prepare for the fight. He/someone in his camp should have known of the altitude training. Cain not being prepared is on him. Werdum trained harder and was the better fighter in all aspects at UFC 188 - theres no question. The fact that he never got beat up like he did with Werdum - is a major factor - when you get repeatedly punched, kneed, and kicked your gonna get tried...

The question is can cain close the gap on Werdum and make the necessary adjustments in such a short period of time? I don't think so. It will be just like the 1st fight.

As much as I love the sea-level jokes and support Werdoom, I do feel that twinge of remorse since I know altitude does affect your cardio. It was poor gameplanning by Cain and his camp, which is tantamount to poor fight IQ and bad training. Cain should have spent 2 months in Mexico City just like Werdoom did, but he couldn't stand 2 months of living in a foreign country.

me too.

I never said altitude had no effect on a fighter. In the part of my comment you quoted, i pointed out they both fought at the same altitude. In the part of my comment you omitted, i pointed out that cain had over a year advance notice in which he could have planned and prepared for that altitude.

As you acknowledge, Werdum (who had the same advance notice as cain) prepared for the altitude and it had minimal effect on his performance. Cain didn't, because he's an idiot. That's still his failure and he still earned the loss. He still doesn't deserve a rematch just because he's too stupid to prepare for the fight properly.

So, just to be clear : cain and werdum fought under the same conditions. cain had every opportunity to minimize altitude as a factor in the fight and chose not to. Werdum was smarter than him, better prepared than him, and (at least on that night) more skilled than him. Every one of those things is cain's failure. he deserved the loss and he doesn't deserve a rematch.

This.

Potato training and piss poor fight IQ is no cause for a rematch.

No. They put it on the McGregor card so they don't have to try and sell us a big piece of crap that no one wants.

I don't see why not. I can see the t-shirts now...

Cain - Welcome to the Altitude Era!

On Cain being out of shape?

At high altitude?

Rusty?

"Here is a champion who can be anyone in the world on any given day, who is the baddest man on the planet. But was out for too long, got rusty and fought at high altitude. I can't wait for this fight." - Rogan

Here is a Mexican who can beat anyone up ... just not IN Mexico.

No. They put it on the McGregor card so they don't have to try and sell us a big piece of crap that no one wants.

Hey look, a typical MMA "fan" engaged in typical Sherdog discourse.

Sea Level Velasquez coming back for that title

Ht9sjjU.jpg

Maybe Cain should've went to Mexico sooner like Javier suggested. These guys are professional fighters after all, right? So there should be no excuses.

Thats not what they are planning
This time Cain is going to be the American and Werdum will play the Mexican
With this change up, people wouldn't see this as a rematch but a new fight

I think they may and try to use that angle

What, the bad burrito and contaminated water angle I posted?:icon_chee

According to the link I already posted in this thread, yes, some fighters puked due to possible food contamination.

Maybe Cain should've went to Mexico sooner like Javier suggested. These guys are professional fighters after all, right? So there should be no excuses.

There's been speculation that Cain doesn't feel safe in Mexico and that's why he won't train there. However he could've instead trained in Colorado. Counterpoint to that argument is that Mexico City is still 40% higher than Denver Colorado.

The point of all of this is simple. Yes, altitude can play a factor in athletic performance. It's undeniable. So why add one more hurdle to your main champion when he's already getting over a busted knee and over a year out of competition. It was a terrible terrible idea to have the fight there. It's impossible to know how bad the elevation affected Cain, but to pretend it's a non-issue is silliness.

Clearly the UFC feels the same way. Cain is big in Mexico, but still isn't a massive cash-cow they need to protect and promote. I guarantee if Cain had done that poorly in Vegas, he would've tumbled out of the Top 5 Heavyweights. Dana would've been livid with him and he wouldn't be getting a rematch.

Back