Are the guys Im rolling with too rough?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by KylePulley, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KylePulley

KylePulley Blue Belt

First off, Im not a wimp. Ive played hockey all my life, been into bjj for 2 years (only during university semester's though) Tonight we were praticing a no arm in gillotine. The guy I was with was a former colligete wrestler. When he slaped it on me I would tap and After words I would cough and gag...

He kept putting it on so tight I felt like i was going to puke. I'm now sitting here and my throat already is so sore It hurts to swallow...its only been 2 hours. Is this normal?

2. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

You've been doing BJJ for 2 years and this is the first time this has happened??
    Consider yourself lucky.

I still remember my 2nd week in BJJ and we were practicing the RNC....during the rolling session at the end of class, my partner slapped it on me perfectly. :icon_sad:

My neck hurt for 2 weeks after that.

3. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

Usually in training we try not to hurt each other like that. In fact, for chokes, we emphasize focusing on blood chokes a lot more than windpipe. For guillotines, RNCs, etc. my instructor teaches them in a way that if you're doing it right it doesn't hurt your opponents throat, so I guess the way you guys roll is tougher.

4. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

2 years and this is your first sore throat from a choke? Weird.

Well, it shouldn't feel like that from drilling. But if it was from rolling, then sure. Happens all the time. You'll get tough from it and you'll learn from it.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah don't worry, it's normal, but you get used to it and you won't cough or get a sore throat so much after a couple weeks of it. Tap earlier if it hurts. He should let go the instant you tap, if he's holding on after you tap, you should complain.

6. KylePulley

KylePulley Blue Belt

Yah, i had it a little bit when I first started. I dislocated my knee and I'm just getting back into it...but I mean i can barely lift my chin up. He was holding on a bit, but I didnt want to complain, Im new at the gym and dont want to seem like a puss lol.

7. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

My instructor doesn't like guillotines too much so we don't usually drill them, but (especially nogi) he loves the throat-crushing Ezekial.

Ouchies.

8. Nino is a snake

Nino is a snake Blue Belt

ive taken one class but ive rolled a bunch with my friends who take brazilian jiu jitsu and even they put the hurt on me. my friend had me in a modified armbar and almost ripped it out of my shoulder. hes unusually strong. that was a hurter for 4 days.

9. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

strengthen your neck muscles. you dont have to be all totally relaxed with them when someone is putting the squeeze on.

and if you dont like something your a puss for not saying it, rather than for saying it. imho.

getting hurt, but jj is rougher in training than almost anything else. isnt that one reason why we like it?

i am sorry you are hurt though. i have had the exact same thing. say something next time if it is this bothersome. no one normal should think less of you.

10. Hollihan

Hollihan Yellow Belt

In judo we stay away from windpipe chokes until the equivalent to a Purple Belt is reached. Blood chokes are more technical and leave training partners unwounded. Slapping on no armed guillotines with enough force to cause short term discomfort should be discouraged. Jiu Jitsu is about technique and leverage, not speed and strength. You should encourage your training partner to slow down and incrementally increase his pressure until you tap, otherwise he may not have the choke in fully and burn out his arms.

11. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

elbow in front of the adams apple in a no arm guillotine = blood choke/no injury.

12. Toastytoy

Toastytoy Brown Belt

It sounds like you are suffering from a moderate case of vaginitis. I can't believe people actually take the time to post stuff like this.

13. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

Learn to deal with training at that kind of intensity. Suck it up. During competition training mode, I'll roll like I'm about to compete and I'll tell my partner. If you tapped and he didn't let go and kept squeezing for about 5 seconds then hes just a dick. If he squeezed really hard and he let go like a second after you tapped then just suck it up.

I don't think there such thing as rolling too hard, unless your injured or sick. Of course I'm not talking about being a dick like trying to break your partners nose with your fist or lapel.

14. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

your a pussy

man up

15. nerraw

nerraw White Belt

If you're just drilling the move tap before it's on, or don't drill with this guy. Some (not all!) wrestlers seem to think even drills require 100% intensity.

16. KylePulley

KylePulley Blue Belt

Today it looks like i have tonsilitus on one side of my throat...it puff out so bad my friends are noticing it. I also hurts like a bitch when I chew

When my knee cap dislocated and my mcl tore, I cursed for a bit, but then I sat there cracking joke about it. I'm not a pussy.

The guy was probly about 240 and solid muscle, with wrestler intensity and squeeze.

Sooooooo

F*ck you lol

17. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

:( you make me laugh

18. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Kyle, something tells me you haven't been doing BJJ for 2 years.

19. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Sounds like you are just relatively new and you'll go through a toughening up period. but he might have been cranking them in a bit hard it's tough to say.

20. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

My doctor diagnosed me with vaginitis once. It took a whole lot of medication before it went away. It's a very debilitating disease, really prevents you from training.