Are the GOT books worth reading after the show?

i envy you.

season 8 caught a lot of shit, but really, the show did a great job of condensing a GIANT series into a tv show. but in doing so, they inevitably had to cut a ton of shit out. they combined multiple characters into a single character in the show etc etc.

the books are great, and theyll be different enough to you to keep you very much into it.

and as far as GRRM being able to finish them.....he has one literally on the presses ready for us to read. the others, who knows. but like most authors, he probably has someone(s) lined up to finish them in the event that he cannot.
They didn't though. They rushed through the five books in five seasons when they had enough story for fifty seasons. They changed so many details that made it impossible to stick with the overall story by season four. The showrunners were very open about wanting to show they could "create" a better ending the the saga so rushed everything and showed they have no talent for writing at all.

Comon guys, they are totally worth it.

Book one was perfect. 10/10. Tons of lore, tight story, cohesive and felt like you were experiencing a medieval era.

Book two wasn't quite as strong, but still a solid 8.5/10 with the war of five kings.

Book three felt massive and loose but incredible with the series' highest highs. 10/10

Book four was probably the weakest, but even still an 8/10 for me because it had some great stuff.

Book five was chock full of lore and reminded me of Book 1 in ways again. It also had some non-show significant stuff. 9/10 for me.

They didn't though. They rushed through the five books in five seasons when they had enough story for fifty seasons.

yea, but id imagine its very difficult to get a platform to sign on for that lol. hbo had no guarantee that anyone would like this series. the actors may not want this to be their life's work etc etc

They changed so many details that made it impossible to stick with the overall story by season four.

the overall story is what they stuck with imo. 0 movies/shows have ever been able to contain all of the details of a book. books are away F'ing longer, and not everything in a book can be conveyed on screen.

The showrunners were very open about wanting to show they could "create" a better ending the the saga so rushed everything and showed they have no talent for writing at all.

meh lol. an exaggeration imo. overly whiney.

ive started listening to the audiobooks because i knew the show wouldnt give me closure. its good. a lot of the earlier seasons are practicly word for word from the book, but its still entertaining to relive.
If only they used a younger narrator.

images

RIP though.

Book five was chock full of lore and reminded me of Book 1 in ways again. It also had some non-show significant stuff. 9/10 for me.

Book five was utter traaaaassshhh!... I fell asleep twice trying to read it cause it was so fuckin' boring. your other grades were fine but I wholeheartedly disagree with this one. it's a 4/10 and that's being generous.

Comon guys, they are totally worth it.

Book one was perfect. 10/10. Tons of lore, tight story, cohesive and felt like you were experiencing a medieval era.

Book two wasn't quite as strong, but still a solid 8.5/10 with the war of five kings.

Book three felt massive and loose but incredible with the series' highest highs. 10/10

Book four was probably the weakest, but even still an 8/10 for me because it had some great stuff.

Exactly this but book for was somewhat weaker imo.

I had the same issue with books 4 and 5, although I haven't read either since they came out so my memory of them isn't excellent. Neither one advanced the story in a way that I found meaningful. 4's focus on other characters was fine, the problem I had is that (from what I remember) it was mostly just a different perspective for the time frame of book 3. The Wheel of Time and Malazan books were also big around this time, and I was just starting to get tired of reading from so many perspectives. I've preferred a greater focus on fewer character's ever since. Still, I'd have been fine with Feast if it moved the overall plot forward (it might have done that some but I don't remember it that way). Book 5 moved the plot forward but in a way that felt like the series was beginning to spin its wheels. I don't think it's a coincidence that the book that I found to be the most meandering is also the one that heralded the longest hiatus between releases. GRRM obviously wasn't sure where to go afterward, and I think book 5's plot reflects that.

Overall I I'd still recommend reading them because the first 3 books are completely praiseworthy and apparently some people like the others fine. So at worst you read 3 great books and then maybe you like 2 lesser ones.

Last edited:
The 3 badasses of Westeros are still alive and kicking. I'm referring to Stannis, Barristan and Mance. Also the 4th badass Wyman Manderley has not really been used in the show except for a 30 second appearance

yea, but id imagine its very difficult to get a platform to sign on for that lol. hbo had no guarantee that anyone would like this series. the actors may not want this to be their life's work etc etc
That's why you can forgive season one being a whole book, and besides a few details was the only season true to the source material.

the overall story is what they stuck with imo. 0 movies/shows have ever been able to contain all of the details of a book. books are away F'ing longer, and not everything in a book can be conveyed on screen.
That used to be true, but the things that couldn't translate were due to limitations in technology that would make bringing a dragon on screen look like a puppet or clay monster. There's nothing in your imagination or any book that can't be put on screen true to form now.

meh lol. an exaggeration imo. overly whiney.
It's almost an exact quote in their HBO special a couple years ago. Only they go on to say GRRM has always had problems finishing stories so they're gonna do it.

No, because they're never going to be finished.

GRRM turns 71 in three months, is still hideously obese, and thinks he'll live forever.

I was kind of surprised when I heard him say he's going to finish GoT then he's going to be writing for another 20 years.

Yes they are worth reading

But right now my favorite series is probably Stormlight Archive

stormlight.jpg

Perhaps not as dark as GRRM's world but it certainly isn't childish either. The best thing is the world building and all the different magic. Sanderson is awesome at creating unique world and unlike GRRM he actually finishes his work. This series has more books planned but at this point I trust him to finish it since he has been a proven writer

Yeah, way more pathways to a better ending and the best part of the series have way more detail and setup.

And that's why he's never going to finish the series.

A thousand pathways.

Each leading to new pathways.

The first three are worth it, but after that it really gets tedious. I'd only recommend the series if you're hell bent on reading about rape every six pages.

The books are better, of course. I'm through the first 2. The level of detail and side stories are amazing.

The show, for being a show, is incredible though. People shitting on the show because of S8 are idiotic.

Joffreys wedding in the books was a real grind.

Who gives a fuck if there won't be an ending.

Enjoy the journey for as long as it lasts. The first three books are the most I've ever been consumed by novels. They're great. Storm of Swords was like crack. I crushed that 1200 page book in like three days.

Books four and five are a definite drop in quality but they have their moments like the Arys Oakheart/Dorne stuff.

If you can live with the fact that they may never get finished, I would say yes.

Back