Are the GOT books worth reading after the show?

toaa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is it worth it reading the books now having seen the entire series? I loved the first four seasons and I would like to give the books a shot, but I've heard mixed opinions on books four and five.

Yeah.

By the time your done their might be news on Winds of Winter.

Or you could be dead by the time it's finished

If they're like the show then they're worth burning.

No, because they're never going to be finished.

GRRM turns 71 in three months, is still hideously obese, and thinks he'll live forever.

No, because they're never going to be finished.

GRRM turns 71 in three months, is still hideously obese, and thinks he'll live forever.

Pretty much this.

I read the first book, liked it a lot.

Yeah, way more pathways to a better ending and the best part of the series have way more detail and setup.

I can’t wait to see what Ned Stark does in season 2!!!

Yes. The books are bomb. The Ghost of Winterfell, I fucks with it

ive started listening to the audiobooks because i knew the show wouldnt give me closure. its good. a lot of the earlier seasons are practicly word for word from the book, but its still entertaining to relive.

Is it worth it reading the books now having seen the entire series? I loved the first four seasons and I would like to give the books a shot, but I've heard mixed opinions on books four and five.

i envy you.

season 8 caught a lot of shit, but really, the show did a great job of condensing a GIANT series into a tv show. but in doing so, they inevitably had to cut a ton of shit out. they combined multiple characters into a single character in the show etc etc.

the books are great, and theyll be different enough to you to keep you very much into it.

and as far as GRRM being able to finish them.....he has one literally on the presses ready for us to read. the others, who knows. but like most authors, he probably has someone(s) lined up to finish them in the event that he cannot.

been so long but yea some of the later books suffered a bit but well worth the read.
hadn't heard dude has anything ready to print though.
unless it's a prelude to the obvious spinoffs that are in the works.

The books go off the rails, too, just in a different direction than the show did. What started as a tight, smoothly plotted story has crumbled under the weight of unnecessary subplots and a surplus of distracting characters.

Then again, right now GRRM is our last hope for a satisfying conclusion to the Song. Hope he gets his act together and finishes what he started, even though that hope dies a little more every day.

been so long but yea some of the later books suffered a bit but well worth the read.

winds of winter is ready. id heard he was just waiting to announce that it will be available soon until the show is over.

the actor that plays ser baristan says the grrm has finished both books, and is contracted to wait until the end of the show the release either. who knows where he got that info from or if its reliable, but if correct, winds of winter should be coming soon.

The books are worth reading as long as you accept the fact that the show's conclusion is the only closure you will get for the story, since the remainig books will never be completed.

I really enjoyed the first 3, and I disliked the last 2. I'm not sure I'd be able to get reinvested enough to finish the series if GRRM even got around to finishing it. Part of me would want to reread the books because I don't remember much outside of the plot's skeleton, but those two books in the middle would feel even more arduous a second time.

Yes, they are probably the best thing you could read. The books are basically up to where Dany uses her dragons. She is nowhere near Westeros in the books. the 3rd book with the hound and arya is the best fucking shit I have ever read

do yourself a HUGE favor and get the audiobooks. The guy narrating them is fucking awesome.

ive started listening to the audiobooks because i knew the show wouldnt give me closure. its good. a lot of the earlier seasons are practicly word for word from the book, but its still entertaining to relive.

the first book is close enough to the show. the second and third books have a lot the show does not

3rd book (storm of swords) is the best fantasy book of all time

4th book is bitched about but I think a lot of that is that it is from the "bad guys's" pov.

Half the fun is piecing together the mysteries of the past, so for me it was worth it to listen to the audio books. Everything happening kinda mimics the legends.

Even tonights middle level finale, there's a handful of things that are bolstered by what's in the books and give a suggestion of how things turn out for certain storylines.

Sansa and Daenerys are the most boring chapters, just like the show.

Back