1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Are the Diaz Brothers the biggest stars in MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DoubleA012, Jun 15, 2021.

1. DoubleA012 Orange Belt

Conor McGregor is obviously still the biggest draw in the industry, but with each loss it does feel like his aura and star power has diminished more and more each time (though again, still the biggest draw money wise).

Then you had Jorge Masvidal who had a great 2019, but his subsequent losses (even his first loss to Usman) have severely damaged both his star and drawing power (Usman/Masvidal II drew significantly less PPV buys than their first fight).

Isreal Adesanya is on his way to superstardom if you ask me (and he keeps winning), but he was maybe the third or fourth biggest pop of UFC 263 even though he was the headliner (Nick, Nate and Moreno's wins all were bigger crowd pops).

Francis Ngannou like Israel is on his way to Superstardom if he keeps winning, but he really has just entered the picture.

GSP and Khabib are retired so I'm not going to include them, though feel free to make arguments for them. I do find Khabib interesting as his fan base certainly didn't translate to good PPV buys in his last fight (though it was the middle of the day in the US, but international sales were terrible especially for his large following).

Then you have Nick and Nate. Time doesn't diminish their star power at all, losses don't diminish their star power at all (in fact, you could argue Nate's last fight (at 263) actually increased his star power despite being clearly beaten for 4.5+ rounds). The argument could be made that they don't draw as much as some of the others listed (maybe), but they only seem to get more popular as time in this sport passes which seems to be an anomaly only the two of them have.

Is drawing power = star power or are there other intangibles that come into play? I guess simply put, my question is, are Nick and Nate the biggest stars in the sport of MMA or does Conor's drawing power surpass them?

morethanwerdz and Vegeta like this.
  2. 13 others Black Belt

I don't think Nick Diaz is much of a draw or a star, no where near Nate imo.

Nate is interesting because I don't think his losses affect his popularity like a of other guys. That jab straight he rocked Leon with saved his stardom imo. It went from Nate not doing shit and looking akward for the entire fight to Nate would have KOd Leon if there was a 6th rd.

That saved him but even without it he is still a big draw. Curious to see what happens after his last fight in bis contract. Might see him in a big boxing gimmick fight.

JoshTehV likes this.
  3. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

No.

But either way, even the biggest stars pale if you compare them to VY Canis Majoris, which one orbit with a passenger plane traveling at 800 kph would take you around 1,000 years to complete.

D'z, GBJohn, ejlarson249 and 2 others like this.
  4. rear naked ankle pick not very good poster

There are like 5 bigger known stars than Canis

volodya likes this.
  5. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

But you can't say that MMA's biggest stars wouldn't pale besides Canis Majoris.
    :cool:

On a more serious note:
    Which ones?
    I read on Wikipedia that it's very hard to accurately measure any bigger stars?

rear naked ankle pick likes this.
  6. Kos Fan Brown Belt

Conor VS Nate 3 would be the biggest fight the UFC could make.

DoubleA012 likes this.
  7. rear naked ankle pick not very good poster

Gonna visit them all this summer
    fb2286493924b176eede6425e616a2e9.png

JoshTehV, DoubleA012 and volodya like this.
  8. TrueFightFan Fight Purist

What the fuck??? This is why you people are extinct!

9. Athlas Orange Belt

If Nate Diaz fans really love him as the proclaim, they'll encourage him to retire. That guy's brain is fried and he can speak.

10. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

That's a stacked schedule bro.

Keep the funny comments coming btw, you're one of the very few people here who consistently actually make me laugh though your AV helps a lot there.
    <Lmaoo>

rear naked ankle pick likes this.
  11. yekmurat Gold Belt

2 good fighters whose careers fucked by weed

12. mmamxfan Green Belt

Lol you can't be serious. But back to the original question Nate is definetly one of the biggest stars and Nick is probably top 10. People love them because of their dgaf attitudes and for always putting on exciting fights. I always look forward to their fights myself.

volodya and Bearknuckle like this.
  13. yekmurat Gold Belt

I am serious as fuck,both at least lost 5 or more years at their primes,and both were champion caliber fighters,it means nothing that you expect their fights

14. mmamxfan Green Belt

Lol whatever you say boss

15. yekmurat Gold Belt

Thanks

16. Jackonfire BMF Mod Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think you're wrong there. Nick is still every bit as popular. He got the biggest reaction in Florida for Masvidal/Usman 2 when the UFC were doing crowd shots. And that included NBA playes, NFL players and one of the Paul brothers. The crowd absolutely loved him. I guarantee when he returns to fight sometime this year, it will be the biggest event of 2021.

[​IMG]

Tnellie30, volodya, TonOdanK and 2 others like this.
  17. Royce's Gi OKAMI HUGE MW-Belt

Nate Diaz being one of them.

Jackonfire and volodya like this.
  18. mmamxfan Green Belt

Do you know how many high level athletes smoke? My buddy used to work for the Golden State Warriors back in the day and would always tell me the player's parking lot looked like a Grateful Dead show an hour before tip off. But maybe the should just drink and pop a bunch of Oxys to relieve their pain....much better solution.

19. yekmurat Gold Belt

I give zero shit about other people,I was a drug alcohol guy for 15 years and know very well what they do to human

BusterBarry, lsa and Royce's Gi like this.
  20. Sweater of AV Gold Belt