are the days of the dominant wrestler almost over?

it is what it is

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Between fighters like, JJ, Holly Holm, Conor McGregor, Dominick Cruz, Luke Rockhold, Carlos Condit, and Wonderboy, it is beginning to appear like the evolution of mma has come to the point where the effectiveness of a wrestling centric base may no longer be feasible. I'm not sure when the shift began, but it's refreshing to see fighters feeling unrestricted in their standup. I realize that there has always been fighters that fought in this manner, but it does seem as if the success has increased.

It's the rules. Wrestling is still as effective in a real 1v1 fight as it ever was.

Guys get stood up after like 5 seconds nowadays. Hence why Mendes was forced to do stupid stuff against Conor like go for submissions.

Imagine no stand-ups, knees to the head on the ground, and headbutts.

Wrestlers would be getting first round KOs via headbutts in the first round via lay and pray.

You could be right.
The evolution of the fighters skills continues. It seems all the various styles move in circles. Wrestling, JJ, now boxing really seems to be the thing with more fighters. Holly and McG epitomize this currently.

Maybe wrestlers realize there is no money in the UFC for their style. You gotta be exciting or it's fighting for pebbles until you get Fitch'd out.

Holly has 100% TDD and Decimated the best Judoka to an embarrassing degree

JJ has 84% TDD and Demolishes the faces off of girls, and made the previous champ look silly stuffing 16/17 TDs

These were the dominant close quarter wrestlers that were made too look silly, it's all striking now in the womans division.

It's the rules. Wrestling is still as effective in a real 1v1 fight as it ever was.

Guys get stood up after like 5 seconds nowadays. Hence why Mendes was forced to do stupid stuff against Conor like go for submissions.

Imagine no stand-ups, knees to the head on the ground, and headbutts.

Wrestlers would be getting first round KOs via headbutts in the first round via lay and pray.
Interesting point, but I do find it interesting that so many stand up fighters with no wrestling background are able to negate wrestlers at the highest level

Fighters like Conor, Wonderboy and Dominick are hard to beat for any style because of they footwork and angles. But there are not many fighters like them out there. Still think Hendricks would easily beat others fighters with just his wrestling.

Wrestlers are normally arrogant & think all they need is wrestling, I'm glad the strikers are starting to show them who's boss.

Wrestling will always be the base for MMA in general.

Holly has 100% TDD and Decimated the best Judoka to an embarrassing degree

JJ has 84% TDD and Demolishes the faces off of girls, and made the previous champ look silly stuffing 16/17 TDs

These were the dominant close quarter wrestlers that were made too look silly, it's all striking now in the womans division.
This is what I was getting at. Seems fighters are handling decorated ground practitioners far more comfortably than in the past. Yesterday's fight illustrated the same....You had a "karate" guy able to fend off the takedown attempts of a lifetime wrestler and NCAA champ

Fighters like Conor, Wonderboy and Dominick are hard to beat for any style because of they footwork and angles. But there are not many fighters like them out there. Still think Hendricks would easily beat others fighters with just his wrestling.
But that's the thing, there does appear to be many out there. Lol

Yea Hendricks had Wonderboy against the cage, and Big Rig did his usual, "lean in on the guy with all muh weight", Wonderboy just snaked away.

Even a dominant wrestler needs to expand their skills drastically. They need to learn grappling and submissions so they are looking for the finish when they take it down. I don't think there is a best base to have anymore. The strikers we're seeing on top now are often lifelong practitioners. Once they learn the defensive wrestling and grappling needed, they are not likely to be beaten by another fighter with a non-striking base on the feet. What made GSP so special is that he was the exact opposite, a striker who learned exceptional MMA wrestling.

Not to take anything away from Wonderboy but Hendricks had his stunt double in the cage for him last night. I can't stand Hendricks and if I expressed what I think of him I'd be banned but come on he looked smaller then normal slower then normal and just not the same, watch any of his previous fights and it leaves you thinking wtf happened.

It's the evolution of the sport, whatever works today, people will find answers for it in the future. I have noticed considerable improvement in the past few years in fighters TDD forcing wrestlers to stay on their feet. It also seems fighters have better knowledge in how to get back up if taken down.
One dimensional fighters are really becoming extinct (both grapplers and strikers) and will be left behind

The real question is, what does TheRassler have to say about this?

Not to take anything away from Wonderboy but Hendricks had his stunt double in the cage for him last night. I can't stand Hendricks and if I expressed what I think of him I'd be banned but come on he looked smaller then normal slower then normal and just not the same, watch any of his previous fights and it leaves you thinking wtf happened.

He changed camps and everything.

It has began and ended plenty of times.

Wrestlers dominate then strikers and so on. It's how it's always been.

A great stand-up fighter with great TD defense is a tough combo. Hendrix getting dominated like that was insane.

ST looks like the real deal. His striking is on another level. If you can't take him down how are you going to beat him?

Back