Are the cheaper (foam) shin guards worth it?

redeyeguy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I do Muay Thai, and have been looking forward to getting a bit more gear for training. I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment, so I can't afford the expensive leather shin guards. I've been looking at the much cheaper shin guards, the ones made of "fabric and foam", and tend to cost between $10 - $20. Are these worth it? My guess is they'd only be good for light sparring, but I kind of need some sort of shin protection for one of the classes today, which supposedly is gonna be a bit "tougher."

Thanks for any advice.

NO.

Though I do know people that "don't believe" in wearing excessive Shin protection as you tend to use it as a Shield and not respect what it feels like to kick and be kicked without them.
Those guys DO use the Fabric and Foam pads.

You can get decent Guards for around $30

...I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment, so I can't afford the expensive leather shin guards. I've been looking at the much cheaper shin guards, the ones made of "fabric and foam", and tend to cost between $10 - $20. Are these worth it?...
Sure they are. I've trained and fought in them, and they work fine. But you shouldn't need to pay more than $15 for them.

Tip: One great thing about them is they're machine washable, but they can get damaged in the machine. Wash them on the "delicate" cycle.

Edit: See, here's a good deal: Honda Martial Arts Supply Company - Honda

Last edited:
No way.

I've used those and when you clip[ and elbow or shin bone it's like not having anything on at all. I know that there are vinyl shin & instep guards out there that actually provide protection and are $20 - $25.

I use the cloth ones and have no issues I find them lighter, more comfortable, this definitely isn't the case for everyone though. If you do get cloth ones try to find some with a strap at the top so they don't slide down.
I have these and they work great for me.

To clarify...

I trained with Cloth guards in the early 90's...you couldn't hop on the Internet and buy Thai guards then...

My Shins were always bruised for a couple of years.

The question was whether the cloth guards are WORTH IT because he can't afford LEATHER guards.

You don't need Leather Guards. Just protection.
For $10 more than Cloth guards you can get OK Synthetic Thai style guards

To clarify...

I trained with Cloth guards in the early 90's...you couldn't hop on the Internet and buy Thai guards then...

My Shins were always bruised for a couple of years.

The question was whether the cloth guards are WORTH IT because he can't afford LEATHER guards.

You don't need Leather Guards. Just protection.
For $10 more than Cloth guards you can get OK Synthetic Thai style guards

Exactly!

Back