Are Supercars Good Investments

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was looking at the 2021 Poresche 911 and its so pretty but at 200K will I ever be able to get my money back out of it if I was to use it as show car and keep it pretty new. Ferrari and Lambos seem to for crazy highs prices at auction houses but are those very special one or do all Supercars hold their value?

sexy bitch.
2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-coupe-first-drive.jpg

I don't see why it would be a good investment.

a car, doesnt matter what car it is never an investment, is an expense

a car, doesnt matter what car it is never an investment, is an expense

Jay Leno has Millions of dollars invested in his collection and I think it has gone up in value over the yrs.

Some are, most arent. Plus the more you enjoy it the less likely you'll get $ back

The only car I'd bet on is a Ferrari with the GTO badge.
They've only made 3 models so far (250, 288, 599) and all of them are selling for way over their MSRP on the secondary market.

Some are. Those that become classics or are rare are good investments the problem is it is hard to tell which ones may end up like that in the future.

Last edited:
Nope. The vast majority including high end cars end up being worthless.

Of course it’s a good investment. You should jump all over it!

No and even worse of an expense when you don't know how to handle money like wealthy person.

Some are, most arent. Plus the more you enjoy it the less likely you'll get $ back

Yeah, this.

The right car can eventually grow in value, but they're rare.

And even then, you lose value if you drive the shit out of your car. Ironically, most "supercars" these days just aren't meant to be driven.

Better off buying a less expensive car like a ZL1 Camaro, Shelby Mustang or an SRT Challenger and garaging it for 25 years and put a couple hundred miles on it. The ROI will be better. Just like people who garaged those kinds of cars in the late 60s/early 70s and kept them original for 30 years.

I'm guessing storage and security will be expensive.

Porsche 911 GT3 / GT2 RS.2 will never lose money, only go up.

All other Porsches drop like a stone.

Supercars are the worst investment, can get a once 150k McLaren or 458 for 90k

I would say less than 5% of all cars can be considered an investment

No, the maintenance alone would probably topple the value growth. Pretty hard to get a good investment car in the US due to production numbers. Australia & Europe classic car prices are much more insane.

At one point, these were going for over a million dollars.
ford-falcon-xy-gtho-phase-iii-front.jpg

I am hoping I can buy one of these before it's too late, I remember seeing them for $5k to 7500 in the mid 2000's....now they're going for over 40k.
16855.jpg

Last edited:
A $200,000 super car? The 'you sound poor' of super cars.

I was looking at the 2021 Poresche 911 and its so pretty but at 200K will I ever be able to get my money back out of it if I was to use it as show car and keep it pretty new. Ferrari and Lambos seem to for crazy highs prices at auction houses but are those very special one or do all Supercars hold their value?

sexy bitch.
2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-coupe-first-drive.jpg
Only the super rare Ferraris sell for huge sums of money, and that's due to the same small group of collectors bidding them to astronomical numbers because it's a dick-measuring contest. Regular production Ferraris depreciate just like any other car. Even so-called rare collectibles like the F40 (which is considered the second best car of the 90's) are only worth 1.5 million today. If you had used its 1990 MSRP on an S&P index fund you would have 4.5 million today. So even collectible cars are a shit investment.

HOWEVER, there are exceptions. Like the McLaren F1 (considered the actual best car of the 90's, and perhaps of all time). That car was ~1million MSRP in 1992 and is worth over 23 million today. You would only have 11 million if you invested that in the stock market instead. But that's an exceedingly rare example.

No supercar being made today will deliver those returns. They simply make too many of them now. Every other month there's some new "special edition" announced with artificially low production numbers. The Porsche bubble especially has taken a hard hit this year. How is a GT3RS exclusive anymore when teenage kids on Youtube are showing them off?
Jay Leno has Millions of dollars invested in his collection and I think it has gone up in value over the yrs.
He bought them because he's a passionate enthusiast and they bring him joy. He would have made 100x more if he invested that money in California real estate instead.

Back