Are religious people really less smart, on average, than atheists?

Are religious people really less smart, on average, than atheists?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/2...e-really-less-smart-on-average-than-atheists/

By
Emma Young

Of course, there are examples of extremely intelligent individuals with strong religious convictions. But various studies have found that, on average, belief in God is associated with lower scores on IQ tests. “It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence,” note Richard Daws and Adam Hampshire at Imperial College London, in a new paper published in Frontiers in Psychology, which seeks to explore why.

It’s a question with some urgency – the proportion of people with a religious belief is growing: by 2050, if current trends continue, people who say they are not religious will make up only 13 per cent of the global population. Based on the low-IQ-religiosity link, it could be argued that humanity is on course to become collectively less smart.

One suggestion is that perhaps religious people tend to rely more on intuition. So, rather than having impaired general intelligence, they might be comparatively poor only on tasks in which intuition and logic come into conflict – and this might explain the lower overall IQ test results.

To investigate, Daws and Hampshire surveyed more than 63,000 people online, and had them complete a 30-minute set of 12 cognitive tasks that measured planning, reasoning, attention and working memory. The participants also indicated whether they were religious, agnostic or atheist.

As predicted, the atheists performed better overall than the religious participants, even after controlling for demographic factors like age and education. Agnostics tended to place between atheists and believers on all tasks. In fact, strength of religious conviction correlated with poorer cognitive performance. However, while the religious respondents performed worse overall on tasks that required reasoning, there were only very small differences in working memory.

Also, some of the reasoning tasks, such as an extra-hard version of the Stroop Task known as “colour-word remapping”, had been designed to create maximum conflict between an intuitive response and a logical one, and the biggest group differences emerged on these tasks, consistent with the idea that religious people rely more on their intuition. In contrast, for a complex reasoning task – “deductive reasoning” – for which there were no obviously intuitive answers, there was much less of a group difference.

Daws and Hampshire concluded: “These findings provide evidence in support of the hypothesis that the religiosity effect relates to conflict [between reasoning and intuition] as opposed to reasoning ability or intelligence more generally.”

If, as this work suggests, religious belief predisposes people to rely more heavily on intuition in decision-making – and the stronger their belief, the more pronounced the impact – how much of a difference does this make to actual achievement in the real world? At the moment, there’s no data on this. But in theory, perhaps cognitive training could allow religious people to maintain their beliefs without over-relying on intuition when it conflicts with logic in day to day decision-making.

Yea, it's so hard to believe "we came from nothing. A huge accident. Life is meaningless and pointless. Science man good"

Genius

I think it's a matter of degree and how literally people take the teachings. I call myself a Catholic but I don't believe there's a bearded man in the sky and I don't believe Jesus LITERALLY rose from the dead on the 3rd day and ascended into Heaven. I'm also not so sure there's anything after I die. I personally hope... not.

So does that make me a bad Catholic? Probably, but I think the Bible is mostly allegory and the core teachings are almost universal among all religions. So while many may call themselves "Religious" I'm guessing a lot of us are hybrids who believe in a combination of organized religion and Spirituality.

<Fedor23>

Last edited:
This is probably random, but I'd love to see what Atheists are like when they are on their death bed. Could you imagine not believing in anything after this earth, yet you are on your death bed? You could probably make it into a comedy.

Atheists are also committing suicides at higher rates.

Yea, it's so hard to believe "we came from nothing. A huge accident. Life is meaningless and pointless. Science man good"

Genius

Unfortunately your post is proving the theory. Just shows how little you know

This is probably random, but I'd love to see what Atheists are like when they are on their death bed. Could you imagine not believing in anything after this earth, yet you are on your death bed? You could probably make it into a comedy.

You cant imagine someone being content with the life they lived without the promise of some kind of spiritual reward ?

If pretending that their is a place you go after death helps you deal that fine. I have no problem with people thinking that. I've just never believed it to be the case. I won't say that I'll be happy to go but I don't think my emotions will be fear but sadness that I won't be with the people I love.

The world was definitely created in 7 days.

Makes perfect sense especially when you're talking about the most devout. When you think you've got everything figured out because you were brainwashed into it as an impressionable kid and grow up being taught not to question that narrative the result is a less inquisitive and in the end less intelligent adult.

I've seen highly religious people die, and I've seen atheists die. It's been the same. They are concerned about their families, not so much themselves.

SUPER intelligent people are delusional about all sorts of ridiculous things. Religious beliefs often just happen to be worn on sleeves.

Ask Euler, Leibniz, Newton, Lavoisier, Galilei, Boyle, Kepler, Ampere, Riemann, Faraday, Maxwell, Joule, Born, Heisenberg, etc.

Practically all of pure science was built by "religious people"

Without them there would be no electronics, no planes, no cars, no Internet, no advanced medicine. you'd feel naked

I think it's a matter of degree and how literally people take the teachings. I call myself a Catholic but I don't believe there's a bearded man in the sky and I don't believe Jesus LITERALLY rose from the dead on the 3rd day and ascended into Heaven.

So does that make me a bad Catholic? Probably, but I think the Bible is mostly allegory and the core teachings are almost universal among all religions. So while many may call themselves "Religious" I'm guessing a lot of us are hybrids who believe in a combination of organized religion and Spirituality.

<Fedor23>
I am pretty much aligned with you. I would say people who are super anti-religion are probably dumber than people who mildly consider themselves religious. Funny enough it's almost a religion to hate religion for some of these people.

Makes perfect sense especially when you're talking about the most devout. When you think you've got everything figured out because you were brainwashed into it as an impressionable kid and grow up being taught not to question that narrative the result is a less inquisitive and in the end less intelligent adult.
Isn't it just as silly to assume those people are retards?

I'm not an atheist and I'm fucking terrified of death. I believe in God (it's not just a matter of faith to me since I rationalized the issue many many times) but the fear of the unknown is real. We just don't know what happens. I hope we get to live our lives again lol I would love to experience all of this again.

No, it most certanly took 100 million years. And it created itself. Believing this makes me smart.

It's hard to know exactly what happened billions of years ago across the entirety of the universe.

Just my opinion.

The most bible bastardly recruits in my boot camp platoon also happened to have the lowest asvab scores.

Back