Are Quick KOs being discredited now as Legit Wins?

JohnMang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Basically the title..

I mean it seems ever since Cain mauled JDS Saturday there seems to be a influx of users saying that quick KOs don't mean anything. For instance another user says that the Silvas front kick KO of Belfort was flukey and therefore they should rematch to truly determine the superior fighter..

What are your thoughts? Are KOs like that legitimate?

really depends on who it is and what kind of shot it was. Sometimes they do look like a lucky shot.

I'm not really not talking about Flash KOs like Hendrix over Fitch etc. I mean KOs like JDS over Cain and AS over Belfort.

But I guess you could consider those as well.

I dont think so, i really have a hard time believing in lucky wins in MMA. Unless the guy is like backing up, eyes closed, throwing haymakers i think its still a valid win.

JDS was better than Cain the first time, on that night. How much better? Its hard to gauge because the fight ended so quickly. The second fight its safe to say Cain was definitively better because he dominated him for five rounds. So i would posit that a win is a win, but you can make the argument that while the winner was better that night, its hard to tell how much better in a quick KO scenario.

Yeah by Cain fans that are still butthurt about his KO loss.

I am of the belief that if a fighter throws a punch kick or whatever it may be and it lands, KOing his opponent , no way it was lucky. With the lucky punch logic it would mean every punch someone couldn't defend is lucky, Because it landed. I don't buy it, JDS landed clean in his 1st bout with Cain and finished him. Trained hard for it and landed.

Pulled for Cain both fights, fan of both men. Wish people would stop calling the first fight a fluke.

When it's the wrong guy getting KO'd, yeah.

This about sums it up.

Especially after that fight, when you know that it will automatically be placed over JDS' win. The Cain bandwagon doesn't exactly help matters, either.

JDS didn't KO Cain with the first punch. Cain's lights went out with ground and pound. People are saying it was a fluke but Cain got punched by a striker and fell down, then got GnP until he was out cold. Not a TKO a full on real deal KO. lol

I dont think so, i really have a hard time believing in lucky wins in MMA. Unless the guy is like backing up, eyes closed, throwing haymakers i think its still a valid win.

JDS was better than Cain the first time, on that night. How much better? Its hard to gauge because the fight ended so quickly......

In Cain-JDS, if JDS won by throwing haymakers while backing up the whole night, no I wouldn't consider a fluke win because Cain correctly predicted that JDS could not deal with his forward pressure and (JDS) needed to get set to punch.

To me the 2nd fight was a better gauge of both fighters. Maybe the 1st round beating after dropping JDS totally rattled JDS for the rest of the fight but I think it showed that barring a 1 punch ko, JDS couldn't deal with Cain's style.

this is so fucking stupid... why the hell are people analyzing this shit so closely, JDS'S TOESNAILS WERE LONGER THAN USUAL AND IT AFFECTED HIS SPEED. Cain wore his lucky thong which is why he won the second fight. wtf dudes.

I don't discredit it, but a lot of people feel a 25 minute beatdown or just complete dominance is more impressive is all.

It's not that it's not a legit win, it's that it doesn't really prove who's the superior mixed martial artist

and it doesn't answer most of the questions a fight is supposed to answer.

I'm one of the main people who've probably caused you to make this thread since I've been saying that often since way before jds/cain and after but I never said the wins aren't actually legit though. It just doesn't answer a lot of questions, it doesn't "mean as much" take that as you will

I'm not really not talking about Flash KOs like Hendrix over Fitch etc.

You don't know what a flash KO is. A flash KO is when someone goes unconscious from a shot that wasn't particularly hard but didn't see coming before proceeding to quickly recover and usually continue fighting.

Hendricks hit Fitch like a truck and Fitch obviously did not recover in time to continue fighting.

Quick KO's and submissions are the most dominant, impressive and undisputable way to win a fight.

Anyone that tries to discredit a KO win for any reason, is a fucking idiot. This is not a sport of what ifs. WELL IF HE DIDNT PUNCH ME UNCONSCIOUS I WOULDVE WON!!!

Bullshit, you didn't win. The end.

It's not that it's not a legit win, it's that it doesn't really prove who's the superior mixed martial artist

I'm one of the main people who've probably caused you to make this thread since I've been saying that often since way before jds/cain and after but I never said the wins aren't actually legit though. It just doesn't answer a lot of questions, it doesn't "mean as much" take that as you will

It means more, because it means that JDS found a hole in Cains defense large enough to put him out. The only holes Cain found in JDS's armor allowed him to score points.

JDS's win was more impressive and answered more questions.

I don't even fucking like JDS, I think he's been overhyped for awhile and that Allistar will decimate either him or cain, but discrediting his win as "not meaning as much" is fucking asinine.

They shouldn't be. Junior's KO win over Cain was a legitimate win.

I consider it a fighter by fighter case. The saying, "everybody has a puncher's chance" exists for a reason, but there are obviously some fighters who are knockout or striking artists where a quick KO is to be expected. A quick KO does not always prove that the other fighter sucks or that a hype train is derailed.
JDS is an excellent striker, but I do think Cain is better than their first fight showed.

Are Quick KOs being discredited now as Legit Wins?

Pretty much. Seems all KO's are just flukes or lucky punches on this forum.

People have been taking it way too far though, and even you have been unreasonable lately. You value a prolonged beat down, but then fail to factor in what went in to the beat down. If JDS was smart he would have not finished Cain, but continued to let him barely hang on till the last bell. I sincerely hope most of you suffer a concussion relatively soon and then be forced to perform at your best and have it filmed for all of us to watch.

Back