Are powerlifting weightclasses accurate in competition? They have 24 hour weigh-ins.

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
USAPL.IPF lifters weigh-in 2 hours before competitions. Other federations that I'm aware of has 24 hours, which gives powerlifters more time to bulk up.

Is it true? How much weight can they gain back? 10 pounds?

Why does it matter? The stakes are so low in powerlifting that no one gives a shit. It matters in weightlifting because they have dieticians and coaches tracking every kilo.

Are they accurate in the ufc or any sport that allows 24 hour weigh ins? Fuck no

Everyone is on the same playing field. Except those who juice, they're awful humans who cheat the system.

1. Depends on the individual lifter. Many don't cut and many cut a little. There are always those that push it to the limit and cut like crazy though. One of the most extreme that I remember was a 165er in a WPO multi-ply meet. I believe he was over 200 pounds on the day of competition. He still didn't win.

2. You will on average see larger % weight cuts as time from weigh-in's to competition starts.

3. You will on average see larger % weights cuts in untested federations.

4. Why does it matter if they are doing so within the rule set?

USAPL.IPF lifters weigh-in 2 hours before competitions. Other federations that I'm aware of has 24 hours, which gives powerlifters more time to bulk up.

Is it true? How much weight can they gain back? 10 pounds?

A guy at my gym has competed at 275 lbs and said he's 300 when he gets under the bar.

25 lbs isn't THAT much when you walk at 300 but still substantial IMO. Guy said his PR was 750 lbs squat. He's a huge MFer.

But if everyone is following the same rule, why do you care?

Nah. If a heavier person wants to compete against a lighter person, the heavier person will have an advantage. Like Nate Diaz vs Conor McGregor. Amir Khan vs Canelo (boxing match). Even in powerlifting, if a top 198 pound powerlifter competes against a 181 top powerlifter and cuts to 181, the 198 guy will have an advantage. Heavier people can easily gain weight back. Marianna Gasparyan, who had always been competing at 132, competed at 123 pound category this time and beat Stefi Cohen easily, who had the highest total in the 123 lbs weight category.

Are you still working on to be a pro?

What is this pro thing you keep dwelling on? I'm an adult with some free time and money to kick at a stupid hobby that I currently enjoy.

What is this pro thing you keep dwelling on? I'm an adult with some free time and money to kick at a stupid hobby that I currently enjoy.
according to him, a lifter can only achieve pro powerlifter status once his total surpasses April Mathis's numbers. Better get to work.

according to him, a lifter can only achieve pro powerlifter status once his total surpasses April Mathis's numbers. Better get to work.

Lol. What's wrong with that? If a male UFC fighter loses to a female UFC fighter whether or not she's the top one, would you consider him a professional? I would slap the male fighter if he calls himself a pro though he would kick my ass, which is another story.

My gf competed at 125lbs and cut weight that week and a pound or two of water the day before. From what she was saying most power lifters diet down like a fight camp but don’t cut a ton of weight

My gf competed at 125lbs and cut weight that week and a pound or two of water the day before. From what she was saying most power lifters diet down like a fight camp but don’t cut a ton of weight
No, that's incorrect. Powerlifters will cut weight drastically especially those competing in federations with 24 hour weigh ins. They had ivs at the Kern this year for lifters.

No, that's incorrect. Powerlifters will cut weight drastically especially those competing in federations with 24 hour weigh ins. They had ivs at the Kern this year for lifters.
she was on the platform a few hours after weigh ins. I’m sure the day before competitions do things like fighters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back