Are people overestimating Wonderboy against Tyron Woodley ?

I don't agree with this. Wonderboy's striking is extremely unique in MMA, and very hard to defend against. tyron has the wrestling but that's gonna be it when it comes to his advantages...
Thats it really ? What about power and explosiveness ? Once Tyron closes the distance on Wonderboy he wont know what to do or have anywhere to run.

Tyron Woodley had one of my favorite combinations of all time.....

knock him out cold.

I don't agree with this. Wonderboy's striking is extremely unique in MMA, and very hard to defend against. tyron has the wrestling but that's gonna be it when it comes to his advantages...

He's just another Machida but with worse kicks and hands. If you want to out point WB from a distance it won't happen because that's all he does. If you come in he throws a counter left, just like Machida.

They both wilt when they fight a good pressure fighter. Wonderboy's hands are terrible. His chin goes straight the air and that's how Jake caught him. Even Whittaker was landing at will against him and he has awful hands.

Rory landed on him everytime he walked forward but his gameplan was goofy to fight on the outside.

He's just another Machida but with worse kicks and hands. If you want to out point WB from a distance it won't happen because that's all he does. If you come in he throws a counter left, just like Machida.

They both wilt when they fight a good pressure fighter. Wonderboy's hands are terrible. His chin goes straight the air and that's how Jake caught him. Even Whittaker was landing at will against him and he has awful hands.

Rory landed on him everytime he walked forward but his gameplan was goofy to fight on the outside.
maybe but just like machida, it's pretty damn hard to get closer than his kicking range. and wonderboy is better than machida anyway

Considering that he KTFO Hendicks and dominated Rory... No.

Thats it really ? What about power and explosiveness ? Once Tyron closes the distance on Wonderboy he wont know what to do or have anywhere to run.
once he closes the distance with all that power and explosiveness, he'll eat punches. his extra power also means lesser cardio

You're basing your arguments on a fight that happened quite some time ago when Wonderboy was greener. He has now beaten Hendricks and Rory quite comfortably, has a great TDD and manages to keep his distance well.

He might be a young Machida, maybe better.

Over-estimating Wonderboy's chances??? Maybe.. but Tyron is fanning those flames by basically saying he has absolutely zero interest in fighting the consensus #1 contender... Woodley is a tough fight for anyone, but he has a lot to prove as champ... I guess we will see...

once he closes the distance with all that power and explosiveness, he'll eat punches. his extra power also means lesser cardio
Wonderboys punches wont worry Tyron. Just check out this gif when Ellenberger closed the distance on him ate his little punch to put a bomb on his chin. Now imagine Tyron whose faster and more explosive than Jake closing the distance on him it will be over.
SpitefulTenseAntlion.gif

I think Wonderboy is smart enough to notice Woodley is a 1 armed striker.

Absolutely, even worse than they where overestimating lawler. Everyone has been on wonderboys nuts after he beat a shot post USADA hendricks. Woodley is going to ragdoll wonderboy and make him quit, or just knock him out. Ppl say "oh well wonderboy too rangy and cant be hit", woodley can close distance faster than any WW and he will be able to catch wonderboy.

Wonderboys punches wont worry Tyron. Just check out this gif when Ellenberger closed the distance on him ate his little punch to put a bomb on his chin. Now imagine Tyron whose faster and more explosive than Jake closing the distance on him it will be over.
SpitefulTenseAntlion.gif
Ellenberger got destroyed in this fight lol. one moment isn't really meaningful... was this the one time wonderboy got knocked down in his last 7 fights or something?

Ellenberger got destroyed in this fight lol. one moment isn't really meaningful... was this the one time wonderboy got knocked down in his last 7 fights or something?
The point is to show you how Tyron would close the distance on him not that Jake won the fight lol. Tyrone closes the distance 10x faster than Jake he will bomb Wonderboy and dump him to the mat. That moment is meanful because it shows how to close the distance on him while smothering his kicks and punches. Tyrone is crazy fast when closing the distance, also shows you how Wonderboy been dropped in the past by bombs.

Actually when you can only come up with one example of a clean solid punch landing (Thompson/Ellenberger) in 9 UFC fights then that would indicate that person is pretty damn hard to hit.

In my estimation, there are three possible outcomes: 1) Wonderboy outclasses Woodley on the feet; 2) Woodley lands a killshot; or 3) Woodley outgrapples Wonderboy.

I'm guessing that it'll be number 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if Woodley won. Either way, it's a very interesting match.

SpitefulTenseAntlion.gif

tdpgkbn.gif

EagerFirmAsp.gif

If Tyron every actually agrees to fight him he might as well just hand the belt over. Wonderboy will dissect Woodley.

So what do this gif prove ? MMA math doesnt work. That same guy that koed by Nate when on to do this

What does Ellenbergers fight against Wonderboy have ANYTHING to do with Woodley??? Not to mention Ellenberger got completely destroyed in that fight.

You seem to underestimate just how much better Wonderboy is getting in between fights... Whereas Woodley is essentially the same fighter he's always been: The pedigreed wrestler with the same overhand right.

You're clearly out of your element analyzing this fight m8. There are a lot of factors you're overlooking.

I like Wonderboy slightly
But most people are being idiots about this fight- it's a close one
Tyron's issue is that he has all the tools in his toolbox but hasn't shown the ability to really use them like an elite fighter. On saturday we honestly saw improvement from him, he feinted and jabbed his way into that right hand - he didn't sprint into it, or back up and wait for the counter. He also punched into the clinch effectively - and this is him more than a year out of competition.
He has plenty of tools to put hands on Wonderboy, and it's a close fight no matter how I look at it.

Back