Are people discrediting Alexander Gus too quickly?

Ar145984

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a controversial topic, because on one end you have people who say that his fight against Jon Jones proved he has great TDD, great chin and good distance management. But of course his record and his loss against A.J suggests that he may have been overhyped and that Jones just is stylistically weak against people with good range/height.

If Gus could avoid a majority of Jon's takedown, and Gus could take jon down but D.C could not, does Gus have a great chance at D.C? Plus, I think Gus has much better boxing than Jon, which might serve as a problem if D.C intends to repeat the dirty boxing gameplan.

I think Jones was really 70% when he fought Gus.

DC via murder

Yes, they are. Just look at the odds and you will see Gus is almost as underrated again as when he fought Jones. People never learn because he is lanky European without big muscles. People are idiots, TS. Just read the post above this and you see what I mean.

Jones underestimated Gus
Gus underestimated Rumble
The bookies are underestimating Gus

I favour Cormier, but am rooting for Gus and definitely think he's in with a decent chance.

Yes but I don't necessarily think that means he'll win. I think he's going to make DC work very hard for whatever he gets, even if he loses. This is going to be a very competitive fight.

Jones didnt underestimated Gus, majority of the mma fans did.

Gus didnt underestimated Rumble, he said many times he had to be very careful especially in the first round because of his power, it just wasnt enough that time.

The bookies are underestimating Gus, correct.

I favour Cormier, but am rooting for Gus and definitely think he's in with a decent chance.

Fixed it for you.

Yes, they are. Just look at the odds and you will see Gus is almost as underrated again as when he fought Jones. People never learn because he is lanky European without big muscles. People are idiots, TS. Just read the post above this and you see what I mean.

Gus has never beaten a top fighter.

Fixed it for you.

Jones has said himself he underestimated him. MMA fans did too, including me.

I don't believe Gus truly understood how explosive and powerful Rumble was until he was in there with him.

I'm a Gus fan, but this is just what I think.

This is a controversial topic, because on one end you have people who say that his fight against Jon Jones proved he has great TDD, great chin and good distance management. But of course his record and his loss against A.J suggests that he may have been overhyped and that Jones just is stylistically weak against people with good range/height.

If Gus could avoid a majority of Jon's takedown, and Gus could take jon down but D.C could not, does Gus have a great chance at D.C? Plus, I think Gus has much better boxing than Jon, which might serve as a problem if D.C intends to repeat the dirty boxing gameplan.

I'm pretty sure DC takes this fight handily, but no matter what, Gus is an absolute beast and this retarded Sherdog bullshit about him being "overhyped" or "not that good" is nothing more than....retarded Sherdog bullshit.

When GSP got KTFOd by Matt Serra, did everyone suddenly count GSP out or said that all that time, the guy just wasn't that good???

And what about "Anthony Johnson is just a plain fucking beast, and will KO anyone who dares standing in front of him"?? What about "Gus had a bad gameplan, got caught, and lost"?? AJ is explosive as hell, had DC decided to stand and bang, he wouldn't have that interim belt as we speak.

The guy is 8-3 in the UFC, dominated in all of his wins, and fought the number 1 pound for pound fighter in the world and lost a razor-thin decision.

So one questionable performance suddenly makes him a questionably good fighter? This is complete nonsense.

The people writing off Gus are prolly the same guys who wrote off rumble after he fought vitor.

That being said, DC was prolly too soon for him. I would have liked to see him fight bader for contender spot personally

Jones has said himself he underestimated him. MMA fans did too, including me.

I don't believe Gus truly understood how explosive and powerful Rumble was until he was in there with him.

I'm a Gus fan, but this is just what I think.

So he'd never seen Rumble fight?

I like Gus, but stylistically this is a nightmare matchup for him. I don't see anyway he can beat Cormier.

Personally, while I think Gus is a decent fighter, I see any criticism regarding him as fair game.

Prior to Jones, he really wasn't on the map, and his greatest claim to that fight was being that other guy with long reach. He then lost, and nearly two years later, we're still left to milk the competitiveness of that fight as his greatest achievement. Between then and now, he picked up one fringe win, then faced a period of inactivity, where they further milked his loss to Jones, in order to keep him relevant. After refusing to fight for anything but the title, before finally agreeing to fight AJ, he was walked down and eventually TKO'd violently in the first. Now, we have to assemble a challenger from the pieces and (again) point back to the Jones fight, in order to play up his chances against DC. As I've stated long before, he has gained more from his career losses, than he has with victories.

Gus can be a solid striker when allowed to implement his boxing, but as we saw with AJ, that doesn't always happen. I think Gus is overmatched walking into this one, and if DC commits to his wrestling, aggression, and varied attack, I see him earning the victory.

Shogun and Thiago Silva are not legit wins?

1. Gus TDD was good against Jones, and Jones outwresteled DC (but that was gassed DC)
2. Rumble's TDD was supposed to be good too against DC (He showed nice TDD vs. Davis) but that can't help him and he was ragdolled and choked out

Gus has a good chance but i think his TDD will not be enough for DC

The problem with Gus is that he's not active fighter, he should fight more and people won't underestimate him

Back