Are New UFC Fighters Famous In Their Town?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Ogata Silver Belt

Lets say a new fighter debuts in the UFC and is fighting in the prelims. I am wondering if these fighters are well known in their hometown?

Things are different now, less UFC in the 2000s and so it was in a way harder to get in but when you did, it seemed like everyone knew your name because back then there was less social media stars and so a UFC fighter would get more exposure due to the nature of times.

But what about now? At the very least, do MMA fighters who are on their way to be in the UFC happen to be at least famous in their town?

2. Bob Sapp Black Belt

idk about new Im from Sacramento a lot of the Team Alpha Male guys are somewhat known around here.

3. Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Yes, if they’re from small towns.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  4. is a Click the image but nothing really happens.

Depends on where they are from. There are plenty of fighters from the US who are competing in the UFC (and fighters can represent specific areas more than others), but someone who is from a place that's less common is going to definitely get attention from the locals who live there.

Especially if he becomes a contender or if he wins a belt.

5. TempleoftheDog Purple Belt

In small towns. But, in big cities, where a massive percentage of the population doesn’t even watch the UFC. They’re as anonymous as everybody else.

They might get a write up in the sports section of the local papers. But, they’d still remain largely unknown. At least for a while. You did say “new” fighters.

WilliamJansen and biscuitsbrah like this.
  6. TBOCSKO White Belt

I’m in San Diego and Cruz/Phil Davis have had a few articles written about them, but they aren’t big celebrities in town as far as I know. I ran into War Machine at a bar watching a UFC fight years ago and I didn’t see him mobbed by fans. I shook his hand, but didn’t realize what a POS he would turn out to be. I don’t think MMA has that many fans to make these guys stars with a few exceptions. A Padre or a Charger when they were here would get a lot more love.

7. Memeojima Green Belt

There's a ton of fighters around so no one really cares. Maybe if you're from a small town or country.

8. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Depends, in the UK I guarantee only a tiny percentage of folks in London know who MVP or Nathaniel Wood are.. same for Birmingham with Leon Edwards ... I feel like Till in Liverpool is maybe the only exception.

9. 10mm Staring at the sun.

Doubt it.

10. Zarate Purple Belt

two ufc fighters from my city and literally no one knows who they are.

pick999 likes this.
  11. MarcusAuerelius Blue Belt

Only if you meet them at the airport... duh...

Seriously though, unless you are like a champ or a title contender or Conor - I seriously doubt it. I ran into Elvis Synosic, Kyle Noke, Ben Edwards (not UFC - I know) on multiple occasions with 0 recognition, Hunto - is usually recognised - big time, Anthony Mundane and Danny Green are stalked by people and Mark Webber is getting standing ovations whereever he goes lol

12. mirko>anyone Red Belt

I live in Indianapolis and I'm fairly certain if I asked someone walking down the street who Chris Lytle was they'd have no idea.