Are movie critics overrated?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by revoltub, Aug 21, 2018.

1. revoltub Gold Card

There always seems to be a disconnect at least recently between the audience and the critics,for example, critics love star wars last jedi but fans hate it. Infinity war was massively received by fans, while critics only have it at 83% on rotten tomatoes.

I used to read critic reviews, now I avoid them. They all seem to piggyback off each other, that is...if the critic consensus is that a film is good, other critics parrot this. The same for if the film is considered bad.

I feel that today especially, films are reviewed based on merits outside of the quality of the actual film. For example certain films seem to get high reviews because they adhere to leftist socio-political standards. As an example of that example, I feel last jedi only got good reviews because it had a diverse cast, not because of the merit of the film.

I feel the same way slightly about Black Panther. I think it is a great film, but overhyped due to the wrong reasons.

Anyone else feel this way?

Why do you think critics and fans don't agree? And do you think films are reviewed by critics based on the wrong things?

2. GoGOPlata915 Purple Belt

3. LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

Never really got the point of them. Seems weird to need someones else's view to decide whether you need to see a movie or not. <Fedor23>

4. SSgt Dickweed Red Belt

I always pay attention to RT scores and the reviews of critics of who I like.

Campea, Jahns, Screen Junkies..... I used to care about Stuckmann but I think his success got to his head.

5. revoltub Gold Card

I agree, but a lot of people do.

6. Cheese Banned Banned

Yes they are and the ones on Sherdog are the worst. They try to control the masses opinions by merge New threads into one giant piece of shit thread where only the TS can have his opinion on the movie heard and everyone else gets lost cause the thread is 100 pages and no one is going to read all that. And even if you do go into the thread after you watch the movie, the critics dont even want you talking about the movie in thread til WEEKS after the movie came out. So you cant even voice on Why someone should skip or watch the movie cause they are to busy caring about spoiler for movie that is already out. They want you to watch it, wait weeks and then talk about. Makes No Sense to me.

So yes. Movie critics suck ass.

7. SSgt Dickweed Red Belt

Ok merging threads is legit criticism. But why not use spoiler tags? I have discussions with spoiler tags all the time in here. You could also PM other members.

8. 5crew Black Belt

I don't read critics. I don't care whether others like the film or not, their opinion won't change my viewing experience. I pay the $15 and watch films that interest me. It's $15.. why do you need to read up 30mins+ on what people feel about the film before watching?

I read up AFTER I finish the film to see if there are others that like/love the film like I did. Those probably means we like the same style/genre of films and can lead to a nice discussion and sharing.

9. punky brewster Red Belt

They suck. Especially the ones today. They just can't seem to keep their politics from completely skewing and influencing their reviews. They love to bloviate and virtue signal in their reviews.

10. mrsenor Black Belt

rotten tomatoes

11. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

I come to Sherdog for my reviews...

12. MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

Critics are rated as high or as low as you want to rate them.

But critiquing the 'craft' of professional critics seems to lend some credence to the craft of passing a judgement.

13. Cheese Banned Banned

cause some of us want dont want to have to use spoiler tags for a movie that is already out. What is the point. PM sucks. i want to voice my opinion in a open forun with everyone that wishes to join. Spoilers tags feel like I trying to just to talk to one person and that sucks.

14. thoughtsone Silver Belt

Find one that has taste in movies closer to yourself and it's a good guide to see what you may enjoy. But blindly following critics is dumb.

15. Mike RIP Frankie

It seems like most of the mainstream movie and game critics are paid off these days. Too many shitty movies and games a lot of people didn't like getting really high scores.

There are some youtube movie reviewers I like, mainly Red Letter Media and Double Toasted. I trust their opinions more than the average critic.

16. all caps Gold Belt

They are propagandists.

17. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Rotten Tomatoes & Metacritic are no longer useful resources
    It's clear the studios are pushing this. Their political bias is apparent in the meta-ratings, now, too:

18. squeezewax Black Belt

Don't know, but movies themselves are.

19. Ikuza Brown Belt

Critics are like mechanics. You find one you trust and stick with them. If you find one who enjoys the same movies you enjoy and gives similar scores, then why wouldn't you trust their reviews. At that point they're similar enough to you to give you an approximation of how much you MIGHT enjoy a film.

20. Morning Star Red Belt

@Dragonlordxxxxx is my go to now. I also go off suggestions from here in the Berry. Movie critics are antiquated. That maybe made sense when newspapers and television were the places where you got all your movie reviews, but now anyone can be a movie critic. I just don't trust movie reviewers anymore. A lot of them care more about the politics/message of a movie than the actual quality of the movie or the story. TLJ was basically the last straw for me. I trust audience reviews far more now than critics.