Are Met-Rx premade RTD 40 Protein Shakes any good?

Madmick said:
Yeah, they're pretty good. I'd rather they had more carbs in them for post-workout, but if you take a granola bar to the gym and eat if after with the shake, that's good too.

Get them here:
http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_list.asp?dept=1065&last=1065

Thanx Madmick for replying. But are they good if I'm only doing cardio and calithenics? Or are they better if I'm lifting?

I peronally have never liked em, but everyones different.

I use them for a meal replacement. Hell with 42grams of protien and only about 15 grams of carms they are great if you are trying to cut weight.

grapling101 said:
I use them for a meal replacement. Hell with 42grams of protien and only about 15 grams of carms they are great if you are trying to cut weight.

Yeah but I'm trying to build muscle, maintain my weight, and lose fat.

Beach Head said:
Thanx Madmick for replying. But are they good if I'm only doing cardio and calithenics? Or are they better if I'm lifting?

They're good in general. If you're not lifting, you're probably not breaking your muscles down as much (this depends on the intensity of your workouts), so your body is not in demand of the protein shakes to the same degree. This doesn't mean you shouldn't eat after your exercise, because you're burning more energy exercising than you are lifting, and your body still requires replenishment, but carbohydrates are more important regarding aerobic activity; however, there is the added fact that you're trying to lose weight, and it's true that a higher percentage of your calories will come from protein, and less from carbohydrates.

This phase is called a lean gain, and is the most difficult and delicate of all the phases, IMO. It's a lot easier to bulk then cut, but some guys never want to look bloated (understandably).

Ultimately, it all depends on your total intake for the day, but I would suggest a post-workout shake a little higher in carbohydrates: at least 50/50, but probably better would be 60/40 or 70/30 with the bulk coming from carbohydrates, and very little fat (you'll get it at other times in the day): this if you're not eating a bar or oats or some other PW snack high in carbohydrates.

This breakdown should have you on your way:
60% Carbohydrates
25% Protein
15% Fat
Adjust your caloric intake to your weight with a ratio of 17.2 calories per pound of bodyweight.

10% of less of your carbs should come from sugar (this is hard). Eat fibrous carbs, lots of vegetables, and only whole grains.

If this breakdown seems like heresy to you (too many carbs, too little protein) then just try to maintain Sears' 40-40-30 split or adjust it to 40-40-15. Whatever works. But I'm a believer that carbohydrates are the engine of the body, not protein.

Back