Are many jobs still necessary?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by TheGoodNews, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Orange Belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&v=

If not, what are the solutions; Basic Income, "machine tax", reduced hours, shared jobs, try to create more essential or meaningful jobs (which is obvious), or just keep people busy at what might be pointless jobs?

2. Frank23

Frank23 Enter Sandman Belt Platinum Member

[YT]_Wlsd9mljiU[/YT]

[YT]1JSRauM78_0[/YT]

Don't let the machines take over.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

There will be jobs rebuilding civilization after the apocalypse, for those who manage to survive.

It's basically a make work project.

4. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

If they don't need stuff like telemarketers, why is someone paying them to do that job? There's obviously some benefit.

5. Lee978

Lee978 Seeking Alpha

If we use his metric, 90% of jobs would be "pointless." Seriously, how many people actually "love what they do?" I haven't met anyone yet, but I'm sure they are out there. Also, just because the people who work these jobs can't see the bigger picture and don't understand that someone somewhere values what they do (or are suppose to do), doesn't actually say much about whether or not that job is pointless. I think it's weird that a professor at LSE would even entertain that notion. Oh, and I like how when asked if his job is pointless he doesn't apply his own metric. :icon_lol:

On the flip side he did have some good things to say about individuals and how if left to their own devices, they would know better how to spend their money then the government.

6. Lee978

Lee978 Seeking Alpha

Exactly. That kind of puts a damper on his hypothesis. Which is weird because he teaches at LSE.

7. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Orange Belt

The key word here is "need". Listen to him again. He describes a situation where a person in a managerial position will create a needless job for their own aggrandizement. So, yes the manager benefits by making his position look more important. But if an audit revealed that the position isn't so important for the company, what then?

8. Lee978

Lee978 Seeking Alpha

Yes, I remember that specific example you cite. Still, that situation makes no sense from a financial or economic stand point (which again is odd since someone work at LSE should already know this) because what matters in those cases are dollars and cents not bragging rights. Btw, much like I've never met anyone who actually loves their job, I've never met or heard of any managers hiring people just for the sake of appearance.

9. NelmarksGhost

NelmarksGhost Brown Belt

Half the posters in the war room are in unnecessary jobs. Nice to get paid while posting on sherdog.

10. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Orange Belt

I don't think it was about "bragging rights" per se but budgeting and justifying one's career and salary within the company.

An often heard criticism is that government over spends, you don't think waste happens in the private sector, too?

11. Lee978

Lee978 Seeking Alpha

I'm not trying to imply that the private sector is perfect and therefore no waste exists but the private sector has a strong incentive (due to the profit motive) to eliminate that waste which is why Graeber's argument doesn't make much sense to me. It's conceivable that a manager may try and justify his importance or salary to his superiors by referring back to the number of his employees but then those same superiors would refer to their bottom line and see that the manager isn't being honest.

Interestingly enough, Graeber's hypothesis sounds more akin to what probably takes place in government more so than what takes place in the private sector.

12. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Orange Belt

Well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

13. Lee978

Lee978 Seeking Alpha

Thanks for the link but I don't have 20 minutes to spare on the video right now. Could you write what your point was? Also I didn't realize he was an anarchist, makes sense.

14. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Orange Belt

Only the irony that you felt his critique seemed more fitting for the "government" rather than private industry, as anarchists are also critical of centralized governance and bureaucracy (as they relate to hierarchies), as opposed to localized self-governance and self-management.

Graeber co-founded the Occupy movement along with AdBusters magazine.

15. PrinceOfPain

PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

I live in hope.

16. Possum Jenkins

Possum Jenkins 3 Piece with a Soda Belt

Reduce the hours/days