Are kids these days less mechanically inclined?

Why would Bethesda need DB?

It completely depends on the parents. Just like when I was growing up, some kids were great with tools and some were horrible. Kids who grow up in the city are almost always worse/almost useless with tools.

My work requires me to be on the tools about 30% of the time, and it's surprising how many new hires will come in after learning a trade or taking a technology program and not know how to use a fucking pipe wrench properly.

why wouldn't they?

No reason at all. You were talking about the software company? Is this about DB advising them on post apocalyptic matters or something like that?

Most people aren't interested in learning useless knowledge. The history of the banana? Really?

I don't think the desire to learn of such facts means you're better. I think it means you have way too much time on your hands.

You are posting in a sherdog thread about someone else having too much time on their hands. Really?

You don't need expensive computers to fix or modify modern cars. Being mechanically inclined also means adding lights, tinting windows, adding a new exhaust etc etc. Also people take xboxes together all the time to repair or modify them. Lots of kids mess with that stuff.

Ya you can replace a tail light or maybe add a sound system but good luck doing anything serious under the hood. It wasn't long ago you could replace an engine yourself. Now something small requires a mechanic and specialized equipment. And yea you're right they do mess with xbox's. That's the change. Kids mess with xbox's and computers more than tractors now.

I respect people who grow up in farms. My first job was milking cows for 5.15 an hour. Sucked ass. I just don't lose sleep over today's kids.

Blue collar jobs and working with your hands just aren't respected anymore. Society has been convinced that stuff like that is for uneducated illegal immigrants so kids aren't encouraged to do shit anymore. We've already had a generation that felt this way and now those clueless people are raising kids of their own.

My 2 year old boy can hear me open my tool box from across the house, I don't know how, but he can. He wants to help me do everything, and he is fascinated by anything involving tools. He always talks about how when he grows up, he wants us to "chop a tree down together with axes." I think the point is that I usually let him "help" me, so he gets to spend time doing something fun with his Dad. I don't think a lot of kids spend time with their parents, grandparents, uncles, etc., doing mundane things around the house and garage anymore, because of so many other entertainment options at their fingertips, and because parents are too stressed out and pressed for time to take the time to let their kids "help."

Bethesda is a city in MD that the software company is named after. It's where the company started. also where tbr works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda,_Maryland

Ah, I see. Makes a lot more sense now. You mean you work for Bethesda (company) or in the city? If the company, that much be a really nice place to work. Or don't they have an establishment (possibly HQ) there anymore? The city looks really nice too though.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Makes a lot more sense now. You mean you work for Bethesda (company) or in the city? If the company, that much be a really nice place to work. Or don't they have an establishment (possibly HQ) there anymore? The city looks really nice too though.

Eh, Bethesda is a little too shiney, a little too chrome IMO.

I'm more a Takoma Park, Adams Morgan kind of guy.

Eh, Bethesda is a little too shiney, a little too chrome IMO.

I'm more a Takoma Park, Adams Morgan kind of guy.

Sounds classically Murican then. :p

Takoma Park looks peaceful, with beautiful architecture and really green. Adams Morgan seems like a place ruled by Diktaattori.

Sounds classically Murican then. :p

Takoma Park looks peaceful, with beautiful architecture and really green. Adams Morgan seems like a place ruled by Diktaattori.

Takoma Park is where all the Midatlantic, east coast hippies who don't have the gumption to move to Vermont or New Hampshire ended up. The "we are all individuals" people that shop at the chain stores on the down-low.

Adams Morgan are the ones who still don't see a contradiction of being for Teh People against The Man while still working for the Federal Government. People who want the high priced dive bars that serve craft beers, salmon fish tacos and who secretly like higher prices and rent pushing their poor immigrant neighbors out. Will still march the shit out of a gay rights parade, though!

Basically, my kind of hypocrites because that's the kind of hypocrisy I can get down with!

When you think about it, it's pretty stupid to complain that your child can't replace a lightbulb or vacuum cleaner bag. While those tasks seem simple to us, it's because we LEARNED how to do it when we were young. You don't bust out the vagina knowing how to do such tasks.

And who would they learn these tasks from? Their parents, maybe? So now the question is why this guy's kids haven't learned how to do those simple tasks from him.

This ^ I do most things myself from the cars and bikes to the house including plumbing and electrical. I at least taught my kids how to do simple stuff and now they are older and on their own they want to learn to fix more things to save money.

Takoma Park is where all the Midatlantic, east coast hippies who don't have the gumption to move to Vermont or New Hampshire ended up. The "we are all individuals" people that shop at the chain stores on the down-low.

Adams Morgan are the ones who still don't see a contradiction of being for Teh People against The Man while still working for the Federal Government. People who want the high priced dive bars that serve craft beers, salmon fish tacos and who secretly like higher prices and rent pushing their poor immigrant neighbors out. Will still march the shit out of a gay rights parade, though!

Basically, my kind of hypocrites because that's the kind of hypocrisy I can get down with!

Sounds like pretty balanced out places in a sense, then. I could probably dig it there too.

Adams Morgan looks like a place that would be a trip to trip in, with whatever choice of substance you'd like to trip on. That's definitely appealing, haha.

i work in the city. easy commute and a nice area, but like Db said it's sterile and boring.

i had some great times living in AM, but no way i would live there again. absolute shit show after midnight. i know too many people who have had run ins at night there. admittedly i have not spent lot of time there over the last 5 or so years.

When you see someone in their late twenties unsure of how to put air in a vehicle tire you worry a little bit.

When you see someone in their late twenties unsure of how to put air in a vehicle tire you worry a little bit.

When you see somebody in their late 20s looking up "How to put air in your tires" on YouTube you worry even more.

i work in the city. easy commute and a nice area, but like Db said it's sterile and boring.

Would you'd prefer Takoma Park, or another city, if the circumstances were right?

Back