Are kids these days less mechanically inclined?

I'll be honest, my parents taught me very little in regards to the mechanics of things.

From early I was addicted to Lego and Mechano. First time I was able to figure out the use of a screw driver I'd unscrew my toys and put them back together.

I think for the most parts it intrinsic. However, that's not to say a child couldn't be swayed towards mechanics. However, from my experience, I suspect things are going from Mechanic to technical (coding, programming)

My 5 yo son wants to dig a meerkat tunnel in the backyard. I told him it's not the sort of thing you just start digging to stall him, so he drew a detailed sketch of the damn thing. I told him it would collapse like the sand tunnels on the beach, so he's added a system of beams to the plan. I told him we need a Development Approval from the council and only an architect can prepare the documentation (no, not a kid architect, an architect with a degree and a practising certificate), so he's fixing to talk to my brother in law, who's an architect. I've had it up to here with mechanically inclined. I don't want fricken meerkat tunnels in my backyard.

Dude he's 5. Give him a plastic shovel and tell him to go for it. You don't remember trying to dig with a plastic shovel as a kid? Might as well have used your teeth.

Dude he's 5. Give him a plastic shovel and tell him to go for it. You don't remember trying to dig with a plastic shovel as a kid? Might as well have used your teeth.

kids gonna steal yo electric toolz

When you think about it, it's pretty stupid to complain that your child can't replace a lightbulb or vacuum cleaner bag. While those tasks seem simple to us, it's because we LEARNED how to do it when we were young. You don't bust out the vagina knowing how to do such tasks.

And who would they learn these tasks from? Their parents, maybe? So now the question is why this guy's kids haven't learned how to do those simple tasks from him.

Boom!

I'd love to see a kid from 1950 work a basic operating system. Kids those days were so technologically stunted.

I'd love to see a kid from 1950 work a basic operating system. Kids those days were so technologically stunted.

This kinda brings up another thing, nowadays, it's far more important to be able to operate and fix computers than your own home. It's important for most jobs (whether you're a software engineer or not, you NEED computer and typing xp), banking, shopping, entertainment, etc..

If you have basic computer operation skills, you could reliably and competently perform a greater number of relevant tasks in today's world. You would have easier access to better paying jobs, and you then could just pay a contractor to do any fixit jobs you couldn't do yourself.

had a dude on here the other day that said you were poor if you worked on your own car. I told him hes just too beta to be a real man and fix things himself.

What the fuck is going to happen if the shit hits the fan and power goes out?

I'll probably be fine because I know how to get shit done in the absence of electricity and running water. More importantly, I know how scale up water purification, distribution and storage and sanitation from the individual level on up to to tens of thousands of people using rudimentary to more sophisticated methods. Likewise, electricity generation, distribution and storage (though less sophisticated).

Most of the rest of you are probably fucked.

Most people aren't interested in learning useless knowledge. The history of the banana? Really?

I don't think the desire to learn of such facts means you're better. I think it means you have way too much time on your hands.

Most people learn things when they're relevant and nothing wrong with preloading knowledge that might become useful some day.

Did you know that the banana that we're most familiar with, the Cavendish, is not what people ate, fought wars, deposed governments and propped up dictators in Central America ("the banana republics") over? That variety was called Gros Michel or Big Mike, though calling them a variety isn't quite correct either, since they weren't so much a variety as genetic clones. Same as the Cavendish we all eat now.

Did you know there's a worldwide banana plague sweeping the world and that it's likely to take out the Cavendish strain, same as how the Gros Michel variety was taken out?

In Uganda, the word "motoke" is the same as the word for "food," much as how in Asia, "rice" is literally synonymous with "food." It's not the same variety as the yellow commercial varieties and have to be cooked to be eaten (they're specifically not plantains) but they are showing to be somewhat vulnerable to the banana plague.

Why isn't it interesting? It is science. I find how we came to eat these bananas much more interesting than how to fix a car or how hardwood floors are installed.

Cars is too broad a topic, but if you're ever going to do hardwood floors, do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on the flooring nailer. If it's too light, you are going to make that job unnecessarily tedious.

I'll probably be fine because I know how to get shit done in the absence of electricity and running water. More importantly, I know how scale up water purification, distribution and storage and sanitation from the individual level on up to to tens of thousands of people using rudimentary to more sophisticated methods. Likewise, electricity generation, distribution and storage (though less sophisticated).

Most of the rest of you are probably fucked.

come back MoCo, bro. Bethesda needs you!

His parents insisted that they take it to a certified mechanic. Lololol. My daughter knows how to change the oil, spare tires, and even do brake pads. I taught her that stuff because I figured these modern day guys would be clueless.

Good for you, man.

My dad rarely and barely taught me how to do shit, then he'd turn around and complain about how I didn't know how to do anything and was useless at anything practical.

One day I overheard him bitching to his one of his best and oldest friends about how I was in college and didn't know how to do squat, like change the oil in a car, when old Joe turned it around on him, "Well, Marty, my son knows how to change the engine oil because I showed him how to change the oil. Dough doesn't know how because you never showed him." Today, I am definitely more technically competent at pretty much everything and he still bitches. Only now, it's about me "unnecessarily" fixing his redneck repair jobs.

So for people who bitch and moan about kids not being competent at this or that without teaching them. That's basically another way of saying that you have a lot of room for improvement in learning how to teach and motivate kids.

What did kids have to learn predepression? What technology even existed. If the only piece of equipment to exist was a simple tractor, and every kid grew up on a farm, today's kids could fix a tractor. But everything is so complicated these days. It's hard to even know where to start. There isn't even much of a reason to know how to fix a car. You need expensive computers to do anything when new cars.

And what can you take apart, an xbox? It's all computer chips. I think most people can put together computer chairs and shit. What else should people learn? Unless your job depends on it why would you learn those skills?

come back MoCo, bro. Bethesda needs you!

Screw that. If I ever go back stateside, I'm getting as far away from the East Coast as possible.

What did kids have to learn predepression? What technology even existed. If the only piece of equipment to exist was a simple tractor, and every kid grew up on a farm, today's kids could fix a tractor. But everything is so complicated these days. It's hard to even know where to start. There isn't even much of a reason to know how to fix a car. You need expensive computers to do anything when new cars.

Man, kids who grow up on farms are among the handiest humans you'll ever meet.

I can't even set up an ikea furniture by myself

And what can you take apart, an xbox? It's all computer chips. I think most people can put together computer chairs and shit. What else should people learn? Unless your job depends on it why would you learn those skills?

You don't need expensive computers to fix or modify modern cars. Being mechanically inclined also means adding lights, tinting windows, adding a new exhaust etc etc. Also people take xboxes together all the time to repair or modify them. Lots of kids mess with that stuff.

Last edited:
Man, kids who grow up on farms are among the handiest humans you'll ever meet.

Truth.

They are also generally in better shape...
"You know Joe, when Matt and his brother Mark Hughes were growing up they would pound each other behind the barn!"

i was just lashing out because of the rejection. you'll always be welcome in the capital of freedom.

You're totally welcome to come out west with me on an epic road trip. Could totally use Louise to my Thelma.

Back