Are Judo/Sambo/Catch Wrestlers taking over!!?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In the beginning we had Karo Parisyan as the only judoka who represented judo in mma. Naturally this was not a bad thing but Karos shortcomings and personality was off-putting to most people.

But now we have Ronda who is a championship level judoka/mma fighter,Khabib a sambo mma contender and with Barnett back in to the ufc means that Judo,Sambo and Catch wrestling are getting some love.

Do you guys think that these three individuals have enough charisma and influence to get people to train in other grapplings much like Royce did when he wowed and impressed everyone with his Jujitsu?

Wasn't UFC, but there was this HW guy from Russia who was good with the Judo and Sambo back in the day.....

Judo and Sambo maybe, Catch Wrestling I dont think so, in fact I cant remember another Catch Wrestler not named Barnett, when he retires the discipline wont be used in MMA anymore (at least some new C-W fighter appears)

The more well versed grappling arts are taking over i guess.

Wrestlers had to catch up, the rules for wrestling to me dont make sense. almost no subs, cant lock your own hands,if someone gets your back your supposed to lay flat. But once they started working their subs they took over.

Now its the other grappling arts that need to wisen up on their wrestling. Thats why these well versed sambo guys are ragdolling pople and are stay away from subs. they understand all elements

I don't think there's enough submission wrestling schools to make an big impact; Barnett, Lion's Den, and who? IMO catch wrestling is an advantage in that the set up is different and when done correctly the technique is harder to defend than JJ/Bjj. Ask yourself how many subs you really see in no gi JJ, not that many. The difference in whos hard to defend is how good they are in a scramble, not so much what theey put up.

Judo and Sambo maybe, Catch Wrestling I dont think so, in fact I cant remember another Catch Wrestler not named Barnett, when he retires the discipline wont be used in MMA anymore (at least some new C-W fighter appears)

Sakuuuuuuuuurrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaba.

I don't think there's enough submission wrestling schools to make an big impact; Barnett, Lion's Den, and who? IMO catch wrestling is an advantage in that the set up is different and when done correctly the technique is harder to defend than JJ/Bjj. Ask yourself how many subs you really see in no gi JJ, not that many. The difference in whos hard to defend is how good they are in a scramble, not so much what theey put up.

Yep, josh barnett put a catch wrestling clinic on Dean lister at metamoris, pretty sure thats deans first submission loss aswell.

I don't think they are taking over.

Really? Sakuraba?

Khabib is going to disprove this theory by getting knocked clean out by showtime

I love it and I want to see more of it. Sambo and Catch Wrestling are amazing bases for MMA. Probably better than JJ and Wrestling (minus the wrestler training edge) because of the mix of grappling, subs, and even strikes.

Look at the title holders,non are sambo or bjj or wrestlers,they are all high level in everything you need the right blend to become a champion in mma one martial art is not enough ie grappling,you wont wrestle your way to a belt.

I don't think there's enough submission wrestling schools to make an big impact; Barnett, Lion's Den, and who?
Matt Hume's AMC Pankration?

Hume's been around forever. Hell, he's the trainer for the current UFC FLW champion. Shame on you.

Khabib is going to disprove this theory by getting knocked clean out by showtime

yea nothing says this theory sucks like a 22-0 sambo guy who may potentially lose to the #1 lw in the world

Look at the title holders,non are sambo or bjj or wrestlers,they are all high level in everything you need the right blend to become a champion in mma one martial art is not enough ie grappling,you wont wrestle your way to a belt.

Cain is a wrestler, Jones is a wrestler, Weidman is a wrestler, Hendricks was a wrestler, TJ is a wrestler, Mighty mouse is a wrestler

We get its MMA but this is the base

yea nothing says this theory sucks like a 22-0 sambo guy who may potentially lose to the #1 lw in the world

its going to prove that wrestling comes 2nd to striking,simple really what do you find hard to grasp about it?

this thread is the purest limus test for ignorant noobs I've seen in some time. the worst part is someone is probably thinking he's showing his bona fides by remembering all the way back to karo. and the guy who doesn't remember one of the gteatest welterweights of all time or the catchwrestlers who were UFC champions . smh. please just make it stop, lord

Back