Are judges provided monitors?

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score
Because if not, it might explain (at least in part) the awful judging. If the judges are seeing exactly what we see, then there certainly is no excuse and the problem has to be corruption, incompetence, poor training, or the likes. If they aren't seeing what is broadcast on TV or PPV because they aren't provided monitors, and have to peer up through a cage and around pillars, or are potentially 20 feet away from the action, then it might explain some of the robberies.

I know not every promotion can afford to provide the judges with monitors hooked to the cameras, but I know for sure the UFC can. So, i'm just wondering if anyone can confirm if the judges had monitors to watch the fights on and if the UFC always or doesn't always provide monitors.

They are sitting right in front of the cage. Getting dropped in round 2 is not an ambiguous decision

Because if not, it might explain (at least in part) the awful judging. If the judges are seeing exactly what we see, then there certainly is no excuse and the problem has to be corruption, incompetence, poor training, or the likes. If they aren't seeing what is broadcast on TV or PPV because they aren't provided monitors, and have to peer up through a cage and around pillars, or are potentially 20 feet away from the action, then it might explain some of the robberies.

I know not every promotion can afford to provide the judges with monitors hooked to the cameras, but I know for sure the UFC can. So, i'm just wondering if anyone can confirm if the judges had monitors to watch the fights on and if the UFC always or doesn't always provide monitors.

I think they do but only in Vegas so far. I would also like it mandatory to fill out those comment sections per round. Help us weed out the idiots

Nope, they were never allowed monitors, that's why anyone that actually thinks a judge's decision is a legitimate victory (compared to a TKO/SUB) are fooling themselves.

I am pretty sure they have monitors.

They've had a few events in Vegas with monitors. Source; Joe Hogan.

Don't think they get monitors. It's hard to see if a punch lands or not sometimes when watching live with no monitors, so you have a point.

I am pretty sure they have monitors.

I just remember when Keith Kizer was the NSAC commissioner, he rejected the use of monitors for judges and says "that's why we have the 2 big screens, for the fans and for the judges, if the judges can't see something they just have to look up".

No monitors iirc. What is displayed on TV is controlled by the UFC. Judges aren't allowed to judge fights based on potentially biased material.

How would looking at action shrunk from six feet by six feet to 2.5 feet X 2.5 feet improve the ability to see what's going on?

You are assuming that the judges differ from what we think because they don't see things as well. If anything, they can see things better. However, they don't have the ability to pause, slo-mo, and to examine stuff during the break. Giving them monitors wouldn't change that.

Despite the problems with live in-person judging, which are numerous. Having monitors kills the objectivity since the cameraman and production crew can selectively show or not show what they want (i.e., camera angles). They can also choose to show certain moves in replay more often than others, given the impression for/against a particular competitor. All these things at the promoter/producer's discretion makes for unobjective judging. Judging itself is a subjective job, but that has to be completely up to the judge's discretion without outside influence.

I think they're actually Arabian goggled during the fight, and I am dead serious. Dead. Serious.

This was why I suspected Johny Hendricks not beating GSP. Because in the first round he was kneeing GSP in the clinch and depending on the angle, it could look like he wasn't doing anything

It's a difficult thing. You can't give them all monitors, because then the producers could influence what they see to get better decisions in whatever direction they want. Only if the monitors just show overhead shots or very wide shots that clearly show both fighters in full view. You can game the judges by just throwing a ton of punches that either don't land at all, or barely land. We know this. But it's a fight. Both guys have the same opportunity to do this.

How would looking at action shrunk from six feet by six feet to 2.5 feet X 2.5 feet improve the ability to see what's going on?

You are assuming that the judges differ from what we think because they don't see things as well. If anything, they can see things better. However, they don't have the ability to pause, slo-mo, and to examine stuff during the break. Giving them monitors wouldn't change that.

I say a monitor might help because generally the cameras always have a clear view of what's going on, whereas sitting cageside you might be on the other side of the cage and not have as clear a view, or the fighters might be obscured by a pillar. But then again...

Despite the problems with live in-person judging, which are numerous. Having monitors kills the objectivity since the cameraman and production crew can selectively show or not show what they want (i.e., camera angles). They can also choose to show certain moves in replay more often than others, given the impression for/against a particular competitor. All these things at the promoter/producer's discretion makes for unobjective judging. Judging itself is a subjective job, but that has to be completely up to the judge's discretion without outside influence.

This is something I had not thought of before, so perhaps monitors aren't as good as I thought they'd be. Either way, with or without monitors, I still think there's no excuse for this terrible judging. Even sitting cageside it should we clear to tell who has won the rounds.

Yes they do get monitors. They didn't used to but they do get them now. Joe Rogan talked about it on one of his pod casts..

I think it would be difficult to selectively edit the angles in a fight to influence the decision while doing it live. You would have to very fast and talented. If they get the same feed the rest of the house gets, the producers would also be sacrificing quality product in order to give a skewed perspective.

This is a remote and unlikely problem. Sanchez-Pearson was a demonstration of a real, current problem.

they need white sticks and Labradors

Back