Are Indian tribes going to miss a golden opportunity due to fear of the Gov?

are you sure it's fear of the government, seems to be a motivation problem in many reservations

Sure, motivation is a problem for many tribes. The tribe here is always trying to start businesses and become economically independent and this opportunity is perfect to lift them out of poverty. Tons of open land for greenhouses and a bunch of new jobs.

This tribe sells liquor to it's own people for profit but they get all morally outrageous when it comes to weed. Something like 75% of the people residing on the rez already smoke and the demand is insane. So much tax revenue waiting to be had.

While this was probably true in the early 1900's, I don't think it would be true today. Maybe somebody with a better understanding of the economy & industry can weigh in here, but there appears to be plenty of room for industrial hemp. I think it's mostly just a relic of a law that is doing nobody any good.

I agree. It was more of a joke on the ridiculous law against hemp.

Sure, motivation is a problem for many tribes. The tribe here is always trying to start businesses and become economically independent and this opportunity is perfect to lift them out of poverty. Tons of open land for greenhouses and a bunch of new jobs.

This tribe sells liquor to it's own people for profit but they get all morally outrageous when it comes to weed. Something like 75% of the people residing on the rez already smoke and the demand is insane. So much tax revenue waiting to be had.

Because encouraging the usage of an intoxicant is a great idea amongst a population already ravaged by addiction?

Also: What American Indians need is business, not taxation. Now, could they make some businesses out of selling weed to people? Sure. But you also have to realize: When they export it to states where it's illegal, they are commiting a federal crime. You'd have to sell AND consume it on Indian reservation.

they make tons of money selling illegal fireworks just around the 4th of July. If they have a chance to make money year round selling weed why not do it? People already go to reservations sometimes i my state to buy liqueur because it is taxed less they could do the same with weed here in Washington. Hell a gram alone costs around 25 bucks at a dispensary im sure they could sell for half that and still make good profit.

Because encouraging the usage of an intoxicant is a great idea amongst a population already ravaged by addiction?

Also: What American Indians need is business, not taxation. Now, could they make some businesses out of selling weed to people? Sure. But you also have to realize: When they export it to states where it's illegal, they are commiting a federal crime. You'd have to sell AND consume it on Indian reservation.

The people are going to smoke regardless. Why not make it a legitimate business? Grow houses, dispensary jobs, regulation board jobs, etc.

Weed is always going to be crossing state lines and that will never stop as long as it is illegal. For christ sakes, Nebraska and Oklahoma are suing Colorado because too much weed is crossing their borders. Like it wasn't before? At least this weed is grown in this country and not being bought from cartels. It is ridiculous all the way around.

The demand on the reservation is ridiculous and a legitimate dispensary would rake in the cash hand over fist. It practically sells itself.

San Diego, Calif., January 13, 2015 - This week American Farm Bureau members voiced their strong support for growing industrial hemp.

Farm Bureau’s 355 voting delegates representing every crop and livestock sector in the United States voted 246 to 96 in favor of “the production, processing, commercialization and utilization of industrial hemp.” Speaking at the leading U.S. farm organization’s 96th annual convention, Illinois Farm Bureau delegate Chad Schutz said that after having “been asleep for 80 years,” it’s time to start growing industrial hemp again to “revitalize it in the U.S.”

Madison County Illinois Farm Bureau President Steve Koeller calls it a major achievement that “after 15 years,” Illinois’ initiative has led Farm Bureau nationally to approve industrial hemp “as stand-alone policy.” He’s hopeful Farm Bureau’s support will lead Congress to remove the remaining barriers to growing hemp in the U.S.

http://www.naihc.org/

It seems one of the stronger lobbys in congress wants hemp. So it will happen sooner than later. That being said, if you don't want aid then refuse aid. If you want to be a "soverign nation" then be prepared to be treated as one, i.e visas needed to enter the US, no aid, ect.

The people are going to smoke regardless. Why not make it a legitimate business? Grow houses, dispensary jobs, regulation board jobs, etc.

Weed is always going to be crossing state lines and that will never stop as long as it is illegal. For christ sakes, Nebraska and Oklahoma are suing Colorado because too much weed is crossing their borders. Like it wasn't before? At least this weed is grown in this country and not being bought from cartels. It is ridiculous all the way around.

The demand on the reservation is ridiculous and a legitimate dispensary would rake in the cash hand over fist. It practically sells itself.

Colorado is proving all the critics right, legalizing pot doesn't eliminate the black market. The black market is alive and well, many people are skipping the high priced dispensaries and going to the dealer on the street for a much better price.

They should sue Colorado: Colorado is profitting off the social problems in Nebraska/Omaha by selling it illegally to non-residents.

If there was a way to insulate the market on weed to an individual state/community, it would be acceptable.

"The demand" hurts the American Indians. Why should a government benefit from the suffering of its people? Addiction is a major issue amongst American Indians, in regards to alcohol, marijuana, and hard drugs. Why would they encourage its use by legalizing it?

I am not saying it wouldn't make some money, but isn't there a non-harmful way to make money? How about reforming the ridiculous land laws in order to make it possible to open businesses and own property?

Colorado is proving all the critics right, legalizing pot doesn't eliminate the black market. The black market is alive and well, many people are skipping the high priced dispensaries and going to the dealer on the street for a much better price.

That is true but it has only been one year and many groups in Colorado are already looking into lowering the tax on it at some point soon. Plus a lot of that black market is demand from nearby states where weed is illegal. That is inevitable.

Regs used to be everywhere here. Now it is mostly chronic and is often difficult to find regs. All this chronic is coming from legitimate dispensaries, most of the time.

The 28% tax on weed is way more than on beer and liquor in Colorado which is one of the lowest in the country. It's all still a work in progress. Kinda learnin on the fly.

http://www.tax-rates.org/colorado/excise-tax

They should sue Colorado: Colorado is profitting off the social problems in Nebraska/Omaha by selling it illegally to non-residents.

If there was a way to insulate the market on weed to an individual state/community, it would be acceptable.

"The demand" hurts the American Indians. Why should a government benefit from the suffering of its people? Addiction is a major issue amongst American Indians, in regards to alcohol, marijuana, and hard drugs. Why would they encourage its use by legalizing it?

I am not saying it wouldn't make some money, but isn't there a non-harmful way to make money? How about reforming the ridiculous land laws in order to make it possible to open businesses and own property?

LOL at calling weed a social problem and an addiction compared to alcohol and hard drugs. Ridiculous statement.

They don't have to encourage people to smoke, they will do it anyway. It is extremely common on reservations and there are many productive people here that smoke regularly. Why not try to make it a protected legal business instead of having people bring it in, which they always will.

Given Native American historical struggle with alcohol, mass production of weed could result in utter catastrophe.

I'm being semi-serious, but it could be the case.

LOL at calling weed a social problem and an addiction compared to alcohol and hard drugs. Ridiculous statement.

They don't have to encourage people to smoke, they will do it anyway. It is extremely common on reservations and there are many productive people here that smoke regularly. Why not try to make it a protected legal business instead of having people bring it in, which they always will.

You clearly aren't aware of the problems of marijuana usage if you think that it isn't a social problem.

Marijuana use frequently (extremely frequently) becomes habitual, and its users placed more or less in a stupor from its use. There are causal links between marijuana usage and decreased IQ, mental instability/illness, and a host of other problems. It is not a harmless drug, especially when you consider American Indians appear to suffer from genetic predisposition to addiction (as evidenced by the huge amount of addiction).

"Many productive people"? I doubt it - reservations lack productivity to a serious extent, and legalizing it will spread its use. Colorado has seen a spike in use due to legalization (as anyone could have told you) and legalizing it on reservations would encourage it even more.

"A protected legal business" will almost certainly hurt the American Indian more than help him by bringing in some revenue.

You clearly aren't aware of the problems of marijuana usage if you think that it isn't a social problem.

Marijuana use frequently (extremely frequently) becomes habitual, and its users placed more or less in a stupor from its use. There are causal links between marijuana usage and decreased IQ, mental instability/illness, and a host of other problems. It is not a harmless drug, especially when you consider American Indians appear to suffer from genetic predisposition to addiction (as evidenced by the huge amount of addiction).

"Many productive people"? I doubt it - reservations lack productivity to a serious extent, and legalizing it will spread its use. Colorado has seen a spike in use due to legalization (as anyone could have told you) and legalizing it on reservations would encourage it even more.

"A protected legal business" will almost certainly hurt the American Indian more than help him by bringing in some revenue.

Lots of shit is associated with lots of other shit. Not much perspective or nuance in your post.

As an aside, only a fool would support weed prohibition while supporting alcohol & tobacco trade. Hard to justify any conception of rights that doesn't include dominion over one's own body. I'd love to hear a justification of that. Especially one that recognizes abortion as legitimate.

Lots of shit is associated with lots of other shit. Not much perspective or nuance in your post.

As an aside, only a fool would support weed prohibition while supporting alcohol & tobacco trade. Hard to justify any conception of rights that doesn't include dominion over one's own body. I'd love to hear a justification of that. Especially one that recognizes abortion as legitimate.

I don't recognize abortion as legitimate and I don't recognize that we have unlimited dominion over our own bodies. A society has a vested interest in imposing a set of standards upon its people which can include, and should include, prohibitions are certain substances that harm individuals and society. I am fully willing to grant that there is a legitimate interest in a society to restrict the freedom of people to follow their passions blindly.

I am not a libertarian or an anarchist.

Tobacco is harmful for one's health, but relatively harmless, in fact beneficial, to the mind. Tobacco users show a slight increase in IQ. Now, is it wise to become a chain smoker? No, but there are at least some benefits to it, even if we could almost certainly make a reasonable argument to ban cigarettes (though pipes and cigars have vastly fewer problems).

Alcohol is also actually good for you in moderate dosages. You can indulge indefinitely in alcohol with virtually no ill effects if you do not over indulge at any given point. Only people who are disposed to addiction (like American Indians) should outright abstrain from alcohol. The rest of us should indulge in it with moderation and temperance and enjoy the benefits to our health and well being from such.

Moreover, just because there are some legal things which are harmful does not mean we should legalize another harmful thing. This is a form of fallacious argument of the sort "et tu quoque" (and you also).

Given Native American historical struggle with alcohol, mass production of weed could result in utter catastrophe.

I'm being semi-serious, but it could be the case.

Eh, if it gets them off the booze a bit it will be good. Better high than drunk on poison.

I think tribes will move on this eventually, it just takes time. They are smart for being reluctant.

Also realize, most reservations are not ideal for outdoor grow ops due to location and climate. You aren't going to be growing outdoor weed on the Navajo Rez.

The current administration has decided not to enforce federal drugs laws, there is no predicting what the next administration will do. The entire industry could be forced out of business in 2017, the tribes have reason to be concerned if that's what is holding them back.

I don't recognize abortion as legitimate and I don't recognize that we have unlimited dominion over our own bodies. A society has a vested interest in imposing a set of standards upon its people which can include, and should include, prohibitions are certain substances that harm individuals and society. I am fully willing to grant that there is a legitimate interest in a society to restrict the freedom of people to follow their passions blindly.

I am not a libertarian or an anarchist.

Tobacco is harmful for one's health, but relatively harmless, in fact beneficial, to the mind. Tobacco users show a slight increase in IQ. Now, is it wise to become a chain smoker? No, but there are at least some benefits to it, even if we could almost certainly make a reasonable argument to ban cigarettes (though pipes and cigars have vastly fewer problems).

Alcohol is also actually good for you in moderate dosages. You can indulge indefinitely in alcohol with virtually no ill effects if you do not over indulge at any given point. Only people who are disposed to addiction (like American Indians) should outright abstrain from alcohol. The rest of us should indulge in it with moderation and temperance and enjoy the benefits to our health and well being from such.

Moreover, just because there are some legal things which are harmful does not mean we should legalize another harmful thing. This is a form of fallacious argument of the sort "et tu quoque" (and you also).

I think most everyone on this board understands the drawbacks of cigs and booze. Saying how they could be used and how they could be beneficial in certain doeses doesn't change the reality of how these drugs are used nor the physical and financial consequences of each.

As far as you thinking society has a right to dictate how I use/treat my body, I think you have a slave mentality. I wish there was a way for people like you to just die out. Nothing personal. You must hate free speech too. After all, you have no right to use your tongue when it isn't of benefit to the group as a whole.

Back