Are Friends Over-rated?

I remember meeting some friends about a month ago, I asked them for some advice regarding a situation I was in at the time and by the end of it all, I felt ridiculed and just not good ... And none the wiser as to what to do ...

I met with some old friends last night, I felt bored and couldn't wait to get home and clean my room, read some books.

Despite this, I find that I don't feel lonely because I'm working towards my life goals. My goals excite me and I'm really working on them everyday.

I find friends to be a bit of a distraction. They are cool and ok to hang with occasionally, but now when I have dilemmas I talk to family members who never ridicule me and would actually listen to me, offer council and support me no matter what.

I don't know, sometimes I think maintaining some friendships is a waste of time/money/energy.

I feel like I'm making better life decisions everyday and becoming a man that I admire and that's more important that "cheap pleasures".

You mistake friend for acquaintances.

I have 3 friends, known 2 of them for 21 years, and the other 15.

I found out not long ago that a group of people I knew for 8 years, we're in fact acquaintances, and not friends. I cut them out my life

I remember meeting some friends about a month ago, I asked them for some advice regarding a situation I was in at the time and by the end of it all, I felt ridiculed and just not good ... And none the wiser as to what to do ...

I met with some old friends last night, I felt bored and couldn't wait to get home and clean my room, read some books.

Despite this, I find that I don't feel lonely because I'm working towards my life goals. My goals excite me and I'm really working on them everyday.

I find friends to be a bit of a distraction. They are cool and ok to hang with occasionally, but now when I have dilemmas I talk to family members who never ridicule me and would actually listen to me, offer council and support me no matter what.

I don't know, sometimes I think maintaining some friendships is a waste of time/money/energy.

I feel like I'm making better life decisions everyday and becoming a man that I admire and that's more important that "cheap pleasures".
How old are you? Your social network will continue to change as you age. I like the slogan regarding friends. Promote, Demote and terminate. Social media is great for keeping contact with demoted and terminated friends without feeling guilty about never making plans with them again.

You mistake friend for acquaintances.

I have 3 friends, known 2 of them for 21 years, and the other 15.

I found out not long ago that a group of people I knew for 8 years, we're in fact acquaintances, and not friends. I cut them out my life
Your terminology here is completely subjective to your definition of a friend. What’s an acquaintance to you, could be a friend to someone else.

I’m 35 and have a real cool business trip coming up next month. I’m in Chicago from Thursday to Sunday and then Las Vegas from Sunday to Friday. The me of 5 years ago would have been blowing up my buddies phones to try and get someone to join for part of the adventure. This me is looking forward to some alone time and will probably hit up the bars in both Chicago and Vegas! My wife and kids are joining me for most of the time in Vegas and that sounds just awesome. The point of my story is, you don’t need to make friends a priority. Try to balance them into your schedule. Work and Family for me occupy 75% of my time and that other 25% is social and independent time. Try to find an equation that works for you.

TC, you're entitled to your opinion (one that I shared not long ago), but let me just say that your missing out.

Also, you don't really sound like you're trying to be a good friend either. What value do you offer your friends? You're complaining they didn't "help" with your problem. What did YOU do to brighten their day?

I'm just saying, if you don't have ANY real friends, you need to reevaluate the value you bring to the world as a human being. If you give back, ppl will magnetically be drawn to you.

I have more friends now (more than I'd care to count), than when I was in school. I don't expect anything from my friends, but I try to give them as much as I reasonably can. Paradoxically, I usually end up receiving more than I've given.

Yeah I miss this. I wish I had good friends, but I don't.

My friends I grew up with went away when I got depressed and had to quit drinking. I was popular. Depression that writes you out and quitting drinking like a recovering alcoholic right as you turn the legal age to drink is not the key to maintaining relationships lol. I drank a lot as a teen.

The key is to put yourselves in situations where you make new ones. I def had friends based on drinking. Still do lol. But good ones are based more on that.

Either you deserve better friends, or your friends do.

You decide.

I'm going to be a tranny loving German?

Would be an honor
Correction: a tranny-loving sometimes German, sometimes British, sometimes Asian.

@Zer is also like 5'6" so you'll grow a couple inches as well. Sounds like a good deal to me

Think these guys are possibly OP's real friends that he's referring to.

With that said seems like your friends probably aren't really your friends. Don't have to tell them off but nothing wrong with cutting the strings my friend. Best of luck

Mhuahahaha good one Hahahs

Correction: a tranny-loving sometimes German, sometimes British, sometimes Asian.

@Zer is also like 5'6" so you'll grow a couple inches as well. Sounds like a good deal to me

I think Zer has a very big Dick!!!

Wow, we finally have a poster come right out and make a "I'm a loser, I have no friends and I hope you guys can validate my friendless life" thread.

Amazing.

hm. i didn't read his post that way. i think friends are important and beneficial, but if he seems content with not having friends, so be it. it seems that his family members are acting like friends in a way. it could also be that he doesn't have the, "right" kind of friends. based on the post, he doesn't seem to have good friends. those are people you should remove from your life. life is too short to waste on people who do you no good.

Back