Are fighters like McGregor a dying breed?

Werdum. You are correct that Cerrone would be there. But like Conor he seems to be the exception. Fans like fighters who fight.

As an aside, James Krause fought for the seventh time in his UFC career this weekend and I vaguely remembered him as the guy who choked Cruickshank. Yet I've likely seen every one of his fights. Seven fights in three years just isn't often enough to make the impression needed. Nothing against the guy, he fought well against Campbell, but when and if they can, fighters ought to take every opportunity to fight and to put themselves in front of the fans.

Werdum was going to fight Cain injured, so that's moot

TJ fought on 24 hours notice when barao pulled out due to bad weight cut. There is not one champ who would decline a fight 2 weeks out. not one. what conor is doing isnt spectacular at all

No

Conor is nothing unusual or special

Get over it

He gains money but adds little compared to what he could lose. It's essentially a throwaway fight with no gain for McGregor if he wins. If he loses, on the other hand, it hurts his image and appeal.
every fight has the potential to damage his appeal with loss. He has a full camp. He's ready to fight compared to his counterpart that will get 10 days notice. He gets paid and faces an opponent with very little time to train. Conor doesn't train for opponents so it doesn't make a lick of difference to him who he fights. He gets paid the same so he may as well cash in on fighting someone with 10 days of prep. I'd say the risk is minimal in this situation compared to someone who has months to plan and train for conor's unique style.

He gets a loss, which is the risk with every fight. he gains a lot too, that same kind of rep Silva and others have gotten for taking on fights in different weight classes. that is a HUGE gain

Relative to the loss, he gains very little. No gold belt, no progression yet risks it with taking this fight. My whole point is that the majority of fighters wouldn't fight, they would wait for the title fight but McGregor shows up no matter what and people don't seem to appreciate that.

TJ fought on 24 hours notice when barao pulled out due to bad weight cut. There is not one champ who would decline a fight 2 weeks out. not one. what conor is doing isnt spectacular at all

McGregor isn't defending his belt, he's fighting a meaningless fight which has a lot to lose while he could actually wait for the title shot like most fighters do.

Why is it moot? McGregor took a short notice replacement in the Mendes fight, and he had been injured. There's no way Cerrone was healthy every time he took a short notice fight.

I like Werdum, but his refusal to fight Stipe is part of the broad pattern that few fighters like taking short notice fights unless they have a huge incentive to do so, like it being a title fight. McGregor agreeing to fight at 196 is exceptional, given the small upside and huge downside if he loses. A loss at LW means he won't get Dos Anjos when he heals up. You don't have to admire everything about McGregor to admire this part of his fighting spirit.

every fight has the potential to damage his appeal with loss. He has a full camp. He's ready to fight compared to his counterpart that will get 10 days notice. He gets paid and faces an opponent with very little time to train. Conor doesn't train for opponents so it doesn't make a lick of difference to him who he fights. He gets paid the same so he may as well cash in on fighting someone with 10 days of prep. I'd say the risk is minimal in this situation compared to someone who has months to plan and train for conor's unique style.

The blueprint to beat McGregor isn't that difficult to come up with. I understand that every fight has the potential to damage one's appeal but, relative what is gained e.g. a title shot, it is worth it. In this fight, it isn't. Most fighters would sit out and wait for the title shot but McGregor doesn't because he realises people have saved up to go and what him fight and will fight regardless of whether it makes any sense to do so. He makes money, but he'd make more wait for the RDA fight yet he isn't. He's embodying the true spirit of MMA to prove that you are the baddest man on the planet and for that, he should be commended.

A loss at LW means he won't get Dos Anjos when he heals up. You don't have to admire everything about McGregor to admire this part of his fighting spirit.
Does it? Dana has given title fights off of losses and it would still be champ vs champ.

He doesn't have much to lose really. He's a 145 pound champ not a 155 pound champ. Yes he got a title shot at 155, if he loses he will have to do a couple fights in the 155 division to get another shot which the UFC will be very happy to give. But don't think he would actually lose that much, 10 pounds heavier is a big jump, plenty of reasons to fall back on if his first foray isn't successful. Imo I think he will win against Cerrone's liver or Diaz's jabs but even if he doesn't its not gonna ruin his career by any means.

Does it? Dana has given title fights off of losses and it would still be champ vs champ.

Fair point, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a big risk, and this sets McGregor apart from most other fighters.

Conor is one of a kind.

He's the GOAT of "injured" opponents.

39hrYXe.jpg

Relative to the loss, he gains very little. No gold belt, no progression yet risks it with taking this fight. My whole point is that the majority of fighters wouldn't fight, they would wait for the title fight but McGregor shows up no matter what and people don't seem to appreciate that.
Nah I think a lot of fighters would take a main event spot. And big payday.Especially the most confident of them,he doesn't at all believe any LWs can beat him remember? so there is no risk to him, only gain.

.it's not like Conor worked his way up and is desperate for a title shot like Frankie, and even he continued to take fights. This was given to him on a platter while other champs have never been given this kind of chance.

I do give him props for not backing out the fight but your over exxagerting it IMO

Nah I think a lot of fighters would take a main event spot. And big payday.Especially the most confident of them,he doesn't at all believe any LWs can beat him remember? so there is no risk to him, only gain.

.it's not like Conor worked his way up and is desperate for a title shot like Frankie, and even he continued to take fights. This was given to him on a platter while other champs have never been given this kind of chance.

I do give him props for not backing out the fight but your over exxagerting it IMO

I'm really not. Many fighters wouldn't take this fight and risk their title shot for no gain. He gets a big pay day, but he'll get an even bigger one fighting RDA. The argument of whether he deserves to be in the spot he is is besides the point, he is there and most fighters wouldn't give that up.

The blueprint to beat McGregor isn't that difficult to come up with. I understand that every fight has the potential to damage one's appeal but, relative what is gained e.g. a title shot, it is worth it. In this fight, it isn't. Most fighters would sit out and wait for the title shot but McGregor doesn't because he realises people have saved up to go and what him fight and will fight regardless of whether it makes any sense to do so. He makes money, but he'd make more wait for the RDA fight yet he isn't. He's embodying the true spirit of MMA to prove that you are the baddest man on the planet and for that, he should be commended.
I'm not discrediting him at all. The fact that he signed to fight RDA speaks more to his credit than accepting a fight with someone on 10 days notice. The UFC will provide him with a favorable match up as it benefits them more if he is victorious and healthy enough for UFC 200. He's a warrior, no doubt about it but don't be fooled and think his pay day doesn't play the larger role in him remaining on the card.

Back