are feints underutilized in mma??

mmaelitefan000

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i think feints can be a valuable skillset when it comes to striking in mma. it can create whole list of opportunities for the initial attack whether it be a strike or td. being a split late in reacting to an attack can determine the outcome of a fight. a good example of a good feint used was during the jones machida fight. jj's corner noticed everytime he threw a leg kick , machida would lunge foward and counter with a straight punch. jj corner told him to fake the kick then throw the hook to counter machida's punch.he did exactly that and grounded machida. the hook jj landed didn't end the fight but played a huge part in contributing to his victory. so my question is why don't more fighters use this tactic??????????

Striking in mma still has a lot of room to evolve. I agree they are underused and you are right about Jones working with Machida's reaction. That won him the fit.

I think they are utilized a good bit. They just arent always that effective.

I guess you should be a coach.
lol im not tryin to be anybody's coach. i've been watching mma since ufc 1 and noticed how the sport has evolved a ton since then. i don't even train but mma to me it is like science and that's one thing that intrigues me.

lol im not tryin to be anybody's coach. i've been watching mma since ufc 1 and noticed how the sport has evolved a ton since then. i don't even train but mma to me it is like science and that's one thing that intrigues me.

you're going to bring "science" into a borderline illegal fist fight infront of a drunken rowdy crowd on a saturday night?

Almost all fighters use feints to some degree. Like every other aspect of MMA, some are better at it than others. The JJ example is a good one though, especially with it being such a big fight.

Last edited:
you're going to bring "science" into a borderline illegal fist fight infront of a drunken rowdy crowd on a saturday night?

if you were smart enough to realise with what we're discussing i'd be glad to type up a paragraph to enlighten you.

In before "Feints would not work in "MMA Boxing" because going by the logic of Sherdoggers, the only technique you need in "MMA Boxing" is throwing heymakers while keeping your guard down and blocking other punches with your face.

That's the best place to bring science IMO.

They could definitely be used more. MMA guys just have so much to work on already something as subtle as feints are probably not top priority. Hell they need to have head movement before they work on feints.

Just like in boxing, feints can be very effective if used properly. I think it requires being quite comfortable with your standup in order to use them well.

Are you retarded?

MMA consists of a lot scientific principles and techniques.

Ever heard of Brazilian Jiujitsu?

I see a few people commenting that GSP uses feints all the time. a bit harsh on the TS I think. Ofcourse I am not saying GSP doesn't use a lot of feints. He does. He is also one of the top 3 MMA fighters in the world P4P. i think that what TS is trying to say is that it is not widespread in MMA and is an underdeveloped part of the skill set across the board

Jones GSP and A Silva use fights to high success. But agreed bro, they should be utilized even more

Wow, the trolling escalated rather quickly in thus thread

I think they are underutilized to a great degree; however, it seems that many fighters feint with their eyes and that's hard for us to see unless you're specifically watching for it.

I guess Anderson is a given since no one mentioned his name yet.

We have plenty of feints in mma. People use fake the takedown to set up a big punch and vise versa.

Pretty sure there are a couple of examples of someone pretending to set up one sub but using it to get another.

Feints in mma are just all encompassing.

Back