Are excuses the default now?

I feel like that is a pretty reasonable thing to say when loosing a fight. Considering tat he clearly gassed in the fight.

The balloon thing however, silly.
You could be efficient with your energy and still gas because your tank is trash.

I could go race some Ethiopians and Morrocans in an Olympic marathon, collapse 4 miles in and just chalk it up to "being inefficient with my energy".

At the end of the day, he's not gassing doing 5 rounds in the gym so if you're gonna take an L, acknowledge that your opponent BEAT you.

Saying stuff like "I was inefficient with my energy" isn't an excuse. It's identifying a reason why you lost so that you can improve in the future.

It's the difference between a hockey player stating "We took too many unnecessary penalties", rather than "The ref's f'd us over the whole game".
Conor has bad cardio, that’s just a fact and it’s a meme. But him being inefficient with an already limited gas tank is a very good way to gas early, which he did.

You could be efficient with your energy and still gas because your tank is trash.

I could go race some Ethiopians and Morrocans in an Olympic marathon, collapse 4 miles in and just chalk it up to "being inefficient with my energy".

At the end of the day, he's not gassing doing 5 rounds in the gym so if you're gonna take an L, acknowledge that your opponent BEAT you.
But training isn’t pacing yourself against a guy who wants to win like you do. He can loose in sparring all the time no problem.

There is waay more incentive to finish a guy in the actual fight than in sparring

When you’re sparring you’re not looking to finish your partner, unless your rolling. So under the high pressure of a actual UFC fight and you realise the guy is not going down. You have more incentive to try to finish him as quickly as you can. That’s what I’m getting at.

Being a fighter requires delusion (i.e. 90 percent of fighters sincerely believe they will be champ even though clearly most won't). Hence excuses. Sometimes delusion goes too far (Diaz bros probably don't think they've ever lost a fight "legitly"), sometimes it's just enough (a lot of champs).
This.

Fans laugh at it but they dont understand or realize that is part of being a fighter is that its in your nature not to concede or take a backward step.

I think depending on the severity of the excuse, it's okay if a fighter makes excuses/"excuses".
No its not allowed

"so what happened in this fight that you lost?"
fighter:well i..
fans:EXCUSES! OMG!

Seems like after every main or co-main fight, or any fight we care about, 9/10 times the loser has an array of excuses for why they lost.

Maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention say 10-15 years ago but it didn't seem this prevalent.

Just in the last couple weeks :
Costa - wine
Holland - didn't want belt anyway
Francis (on latest countdown) : Came into Stipe fight to just destroy him like he was nothing and he's never approached a fight like that /also , that wasn't him in the first fight
Ortega (on latest countdown Before they took it down ) - jumped in frozen lake night before fight and felt sick next day before fight, couldn't put weight back on

And then there's -
Mas - short camp
Nate - he actually never lost Mas fight
Conor - inefficient with energy/balewn foot /tree times his size.....

I mean damn dude, It's the default nowadays ....?

Am I trippin?

Explaining circumstances and complaining /giving excuses are different things

Many of the fighters also mentioned that they weren't using what they said as an excuse.

Explaining circumstances and complaining /giving excuses are different things

Many of the fighters also mentioned that they weren't using what they said as an excuse.
because they know they are gonna get torn apart for speaking the truth. The fans dont like preconcieved notions challenged.

Yeah it was interesting to learn about things like chicanes, Apexs and how different tires work etc..,I've never been much of a Car person though, horsepower and suspension stuff kind starts to go over my head and then they introduced kers and drs stuff which I have 0 information on.
One of the most interesting characters in the sport I alway thought was Hakkinen, some really funny interviews.
I think many people found KERS and DRS weird.
The latter is btw just changing the angle of the rear wing from (side view of the car which drives from right to left): / to --- (bit exaggerated, but you get the point) for a few seconds in the race - it decreases drag, making for a faster acceleration and top speed. However, it also decreases downforce, which is why one shouldn't use it in corners.

KERS is i the electricity cars get from braking, which they can then use as well until the battery for it is empty for a while.

Häkkinen was awesome!
Very appreciated basically everywhere i think and for good reason.
Was always a role model, sympathetic, cool and a great driver.
(When Schumacher broke into tears after equalling Senna's number of wins, he was asking the interviewer to give them a break, after the latter continued to ask questions despite Schumi crying).
Yeah sorry didn't mean Monaco is a bad course by any means it's one of the best, didn't write that very clearly lol.
Yeah elevation is a good.thing to have Spa is best for this imo, you should go watch a Monza race and see how it starts! So sick man, massive fucking gap in the track and everyone has to slow from like 5th gear to 2nd on the same corner lol, chaos.
All good haha.
Monza is beloved, isn't it? Didn't remember the situations you've described, but i do remember it being a very fast track with one or two long straights.
I have indeed! Loved it, best thing Thor has been in imo, and the other actor is really fucking underrated too.

Out of likes too bud KhabibBS
Nice man, cool you've seen and liked it too.
Both Hemsworth and Brühl (the guy you meant) were great there, just a good example of an all around really good movie.
Made me realize what an absolute mad man Lauda was, i didn't have much of an idea just how tough and competitive he was.

1) you're tripping 2) people ask them what went wrong and fighters reply with what they think went wrong. A reason and understanding what went wrong isn't an excuse and if it is: 3) admitting defeat and saying "he was better than me that night" is still an excuse by your standards and 4) pro athletes need to find out the reasons aka excuses they lost. Admitting defeat would mean giving up and never coming back because so and so is simply better.

Again, you're tripping... Tito Ortiz, Rampage Jackson, Chuck Liddell, Couture, Sonnen, etc. All American Excuse Squad. Don't forget Johnny Hendricks, Weedman, and many more.

1) you're tripping 2) people ask them what went wrong and fighters reply with what they think went wrong. A reason and understanding what went wrong isn't an excuse and if it is: 3) admitting defeat and saying "he was better than me that night" is still an excuse by your standards and 4) pro athletes need to find out the reasons aka excuses they lost. Admitting defeat would mean giving up and never coming back because so and so is simply better.

Again, you're tripping... Tito Ortiz, Rampage Jackson, Chuck Liddell, Couture, Sonnen, etc. All American Excuse Squad. Don't forget Johnny Hendricks, Weedman, and many more.
Alhamdullilah

Haven't you heard? In 2021 losing not a real thing anymore.

It's "fake news".

Just make a bunch of laughably dumb excuses and your fanbois will be dumb enough to believe you....you might even say they'll be proud to do it. <45>

I think many people found KERS and DRS weird.
The latter is btw just changing the angle of the rear wing from (side view of the car which drives from right to left): / to --- (bit exaggerated, but you get the point) for a few seconds in the race - it decreases drag, making for a faster acceleration and top speed. However, it also decreases downforce, which is why one shouldn't use it in corners.

KERS is i the electricity cars get from braking, which they can then use as well until the battery for it is empty for a while.

<mma4>Thanks for the summary makes a bit more sense now, though I think i'd need to read that bout 5 times over and over again for it to really stick in my brain lol, i'm pretty dumb with this kind of thing.

Häkkinen was awesome!
Very appreciated basically everywhere i think and for good reason.
Was always a role model, sympathetic, cool and a great driver.
(When Schumacher broke into tears after equalling Senna's number of wins, he was asking the interviewer to give them a break, after the latter continued to ask questions despite Schumi crying).
I love how he started out as a Taxi driver, some of his mannerisms really crack me up, legend, seen him doing some Rally Driving stuff as well which is super impressive, always find it interesting seeing how F1 Drivers are in slightly more normal "cars" lol. And Halkkinen was legit James Bond worthy... I do remember the Schumi moment, good stuff, another massive massive legend obviously.

All good haha.
Monza is beloved, isn't it? Didn't remember the situations you've described, but i do remember it being a very fast track with one or two long straights.
It is very beloved yeah, Italians love cars and racing, Ferrari pressure at Monza is always huge! I just love the track though, first track I ever learnt the entire way round
Italy_Circuit.png

See the speed trap between 01-02? That shit on the first lap! But then it get's even harder to time the gear shifts and breaking on obviously 2nd time around(and after) because you have the built up speed pretty much all the way from 10, when you pull off that speed trap turn perfectly you feel like such a badass, so easy to over or undershoot.

Then Spa circuit in Belgium
Belgium_Circuit.png

just fucking all over the place! But lots up hills and stuff, it's another really awesome track imo. And also beloved due it's history and personality.

Though I don't even know all the circuits now days, I wonder if anything is as fun... I seem to remember Our own Silverstone and one of the Germany(Nurburg iirc)tracks being really highly rated too! Though weirdly I don't know them very well at all.

Nice man, cool you've seen and liked it too.
Both Hemsworth and Brühl (the guy you meant) were great there, just a good example of an all around really good movie.
Made me realize what an absolute mad man Lauda was, i didn't have much of an idea just how tough and competitive he was.

Yeah Bruhl has impressed me every time i've seen him, first time I saw him was in The Edukators which I really enjoyed.. I would really like to see him in more things.
I'd like to watch it again, I hadn't heard of either Hunt or Lauda at the time I watched it in the Cinema.

mma4Thanks for the summary makes a bit more sense now, though I think i'd need to read that bout 5 times over and over again for it to really stick in my brain lol, i'm pretty dumb with this kind of thing.
You're welcome!
Now that i think about it, i'm probably the opposite in terms of F1/racing cars than what i was back then, i know much less about who's currently driving, but much more about driving itself, lol.

Ay i really find aerodynamics interesting, at least the basics of it. I *love* how insane of an influence it can make, if done properly and if you look at the supercars, especially the "top of the foodchain" ones, you'll notice that the focus on aerodynamics has increased massively since the last 8 years or so.
I rank street legal supercars - performance-wise - by their nordschleife lap time, and in order for you to get an idea, i got some of the previous record holders, as well as the current one and possible future ones and their performance figures, lap times, etc.:

Porsche 918 Spyder with Weissach package (09/'13) (Former record holder)
918weissach.jpg

Layout: mid-engine V8 turbo hybrid, 4WD
Time: 6:57:
Weight: 1.642 kg
Horsepower: 887
Torque: 1280 Nm
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 2.7 s
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): 7.3 s
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): 19.9 s
Top speed: 345+ km/h (214+ mph)
Downforce in kg: 298 kg (657 lbs) @ 300 km/h

Lamborghini Aventador SVJ LP770-4 (07/'18) (Former record holder)
aventadorSVJ.jpg

Layout: mid-engine V12 NA (naturally aspirated), 4WD
Time: 6:44:97
Weight: 1.525 kg
Horsepower: 770
Torque: 720 Nm
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 2.8 s
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): 8.6 s
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): 24 s
Top speed: 352 km/h (219 mph)
Downforce in kg: 498 kg (1100 lbs) @ 352 km/h (top speed)

Mercedes AMG GT Black Series (11/'20) (Current record holder)
AMG_GT_BS.jpg

Layout: front-engine V8 turbo, RWD
Time: 6:43:16
Weight: 1.640 kg
Horsepower: 730
Torque: 800 Nm
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 3.2 s
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): 8.8 s
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): 28.6 s
Top speed: 325 km/h (202 mph)
Downforce in kg: 400+ kg (+882 lbs) @ 250 km/h and 800 kg (1764 lbs) @ 325 km/h (top speed)

>Possible future record holders below<

Mercedes AMG One (2021)
amgOne.jpg

Layout: mid-engine V6 turbo hybrid, 4WD
Time: _:__:__ (i assume below 6:25, if not way faster)
Weight: 1200 - 1400 kg
Horsepower: 1000+
Torque: ? (I assume 1400+ Nm)
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): <2.2 s
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): <6 s
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): <11 s
Top speed: 350+ km/h (217+ mph)
Downforce in kg: ~675 kg (~1488 lbs) @ unkown speed (but given everything, i assume @ 250 km/h)

Aston Martin Valkyrie (2021 i think)
astonvalkyrie.jpg

Layout: mid-engine V12 NA hybrid, RWD
Time: _:__:__ (i assume below 6:15, if not way faster)
Weight: 1030 kg (2270 lbs)
Horsepower: 1176
Torque: 900 Nm
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 2.6 s
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): ?
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): ?
0-320 km/h (0-200 mph): 10 s
Top speed: 402 km/h (250 mph)
Downforce in kg: ? (it's restricted to prevent overloading the tyres) but probably 1000 kg (2205 lbs)

As you can see, the downforce figures continuously increase, whereas power (Valkyrie and One aside) doesn't necessarily.
Over the years, nurburgring nordschleifer lap times have become something the car companies (with sports cars, anyways) have become very interested in, for this reason, top speed did - kinda - decline, whereas downforce, grip, etc. massively improved, resulting in way faster lap times.
The 2021 GT3 (the regular one) is already faster on the nordschleife (6:55) than the 918 (6:57) and as you might know if you're somewhat familiar with Porsche, their fastest cars are (in this order) always:
  • GT3
  • GT3 RS
  • GT2
  • GT2 RS
  • Supercar/Hypercar
Oh and before i forget, the Valkyrie's aerodynamics are something else - usually, with most standard wings, splitters, etc., you'll get better downforce but always more drag, which leads to less top speed but more cornering speed.
With the Valkyrie however, the shape is so clever (the car is essentially hollow underneath, which creates a low pressure are, making the air move faster underneath, hence sucking the car to the road) that it has ridiculous downforce but also not much drag.
The Valkyrie - with its naturally aspirated V12 engine - will also sound like an oldschool Formula 1 car.
I love how he started out as a Taxi driver, some of his mannerisms really crack me up, legend, seen him doing some Rally Driving stuff as well which is super impressive, always find it interesting seeing how F1 Drivers are in slightly more normal "cars" lol. And Halkkinen was legit James Bond worthy... I do remember the Schumi moment, good stuff, another massive massive legend obviously.
Had no idea about the taxi driver thing, that's funny!
Remember him doing rally stuff though, i think, that's cool for sure.
Not sure what's more difficult, but Rally driving is surely more dangerous, it's mindblowing to me to see them do these jumps and drifts at ridiculous speeds, on loose ground, with trees or slopes all around.
Completely nuts, especially in the group B days (when there were unfortunately lots of deaths).
It is very beloved yeah, Italians love cars and racing, Ferrari pressure at Monza is always huge! I just love the track though, first track I ever learnt the entire way round
Italy_Circuit.png

See the speed trap between 01-02? That shit on the first lap! But then it get's even harder to time the gear shifts and breaking on obviously 2nd time around(and after) because you have the built up speed pretty much all the way from 10, when you pull off that speed trap turn perfectly you feel like such a badass, so easy to over or undershoot.
Yeah, now that i think about it, i found it kinda difficult to master those corners 01 and 02 after coming from the straight, they're kinda hard to assess, ngl.
Then Spa circuit in Belgium
Belgium_Circuit.png

just fucking all over the place! But lots up hills and stuff, it's another really awesome track imo. And also beloved due it's history and personality.
Shit, i totally forgot Spa! Mad track, the part after the starting straight, the "Eau rouge" (must be the 02/03) is crazy. (The whole track is and i really like it, but the eau rouge in particular).
That's how a race track has to be!
BTW: Stefan Bellof, a german race driver (who in 1983 drove the fastest nordschleife lap until 2018 for race cars - 06:11 - in the qualifying for the 24 hour race there, with other cars on the track!) died in an accident in that famous eau rouge corner in 1986... sad day...
Though I don't even know all the circuits now days, I wonder if anything is as fun... I seem to remember Our own Silverstone and one of the Germany(Nurburg iirc)tracks being really highly rated too! Though weirdly I don't know them very well at all.
I feel you, i think i only really know the Nordschleife, Spa Franchorchamps, Laguna Seca and maybe some other 1-3.

Oh hey, before i forget!
You remember the fastest road legal car lap on the nordschleife was a 6:43, right?

The best time EVER (obv. from a race car, lol) was done out of competition (for marketing) by an unrestricted Porsche 919, a Le Mans car.
It did the lap in 5 minutes and 19 seconds - that's an average speed of 234 km/h or 145 mph and yes, it looks just as fast - if you haven't seen it, check it out, it's bananas.
The specs of the car are:
Layout: mid-engine V4 turbo hybrid, 4WD
Time: 5:19:546 (i assume below 6:15, if not way faster)
Weight: 849 kg (1871 lbs)
Horsepower: 1160
Torque: ?
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): ?
0-200 km/h (0-124 mph): 4 s
0-300 km/h (0-186 mph): <8 s
Top speed: 369 km/h (229 mph)
Downforce in kg: no idea, but 53% more than the standard 919 and more than a F1 car. so probably ~2000 kg (4409 lbs), if not more.

(The unrestricted evo was also 12 seconds faster than the pole time for the usual 919 at Spa, lol)
Yeah Bruhl has impressed me every time i've seen him, first time I saw him was in The Edukators which I really enjoyed.. I would really like to see him in more things.
I'd like to watch it again, I hadn't heard of either Hunt or Lauda at the time I watched it in the Cinema.
Same here, he's really good, though i only remember him from Captain America: Civil War and Rush, lol.
The Edukators is actually named "Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei" (The fat years are over) in germany, lol - only know the movie from the name though...

Anyways, take care bro, i've once again gone off the rails with a post here, hahaha <45><45><45>

Attachments

• AventadorSVJ.jpg
    AventadorSVJ.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AMG_GT_BS.jpg
    AMG_GT_BS.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
because they know they are gonna get torn apart for speaking the truth. The fans dont like preconcieved notions challenged.

Right, which is why fighters began prefacing their statements by giving credit to the Victor before indulging us on why they think they lost.

Right, which is why fighters began prefacing their statements by giving credit to the Victor before indulging us on why they think they lost.
fuck all that shit. People should say what they wanna.

I loved it when Val said that the decision against nunes was bullshit and that she won that fight,and that the judges were tards

thats honesty!!!!!!

fuck all that shit. People should say what they wanna.

I loved it when Val said that the decision against nunes was bullshit and that she won that fight,and that the judges were tards

thats honesty!!!!!!

Same same
It's damage control at this point

Back