Are either Chandler or Oliviera one of the best two fighters in the division?

I would pick Charles to beat Gaethje pretty confidently. Then I would lean Chandler over Poirier. But Poirier vs Oliveira is a toss up, as is Gaethje vs Chandler.

Both guys are as elite as any LWs with Khabib gone. And both would pose different problems than Khabib has ever faced before if they fought Khabib, who I would still favor over either one.

Nope, in a normal world these two would never fight for the title. Chandler will beat Oliveira and will lose the belt as soon as he defend it the first time.

It's entirely possible that both could beat Khabib if he didn't retire. He didn't really face anyone like either of them in his career.

Total B.S, both are overrated. Oliveira's best win was against an over the hill Ferguson, who took the beating of his life from Justin, after that it's Kevin Lee... Chandler is coming from another promotion, got the title shot after one win, against Hooker... Was Knocked the fuck out in 2019 by a (one of the best in the world) FW who went up to kick his ass.

<{hughesimpress}>

Chandler will win against Charles and lose the title as soon as he defend it. <RomeroSalute>

Oliveira for sure deserves a shot. I think they got Chandler in there because it's kind of like a cool Bellator vs UFC superfight. If Khabib had not retired, he'd probably be defending against Oliveira

IMO Poirier and Gaethje are the best LW, with Khabib retired

charlie olives surely yeah deserves that title shot
dont know about chandler though

why would you think gaethje deserves it more? the guy is 5-3 in the ufc with tony being his most impressive win.
meanwhile oliveira was much more dominant against tony in 3 rounds

Oliveira fought Tony when he was already broken, he took the beating of his life from Justin and at that age, you can't come back from it. Justin's win was also more dominant.

Top 4 imo.

poirier
Oliviera
Gaethje
Chandler
Ranking Oliveira over Gaethje is basically saying that you think Oliveira is going to outstrike Gaethje. Granted, Charlie Olives' striking has looked a lot better and he was outstriking Tony. But, I don't think he's better than Gaethje.

Poirier and Gaethje are imo. When it’s all said and done Poirier will be the unquestionable lw champ.

Ranking Oliveira over Gaethje is basically saying that you think Oliveira is going to outstrike Gaethje. Granted, Charlie Olives' striking has looked a lot better and he was outstriking Tony. But, I don't think he's better than Gaethje.
Charles could take gaethje down and sub him. Could go to a decision over gaethje via mixing up striking and grappling, and maybe tko him.

it doesn’t have to solely be striking based. And cmon, factor in the win streak.

Gaethje fights stupid and has no ground game

It's Porier, Conor and Chandler as the top 3. Oliveira close. Islam Makhachev is on the rise. RDA looks like he's past his prime maybe

What makes lightweight so crazy right now, is after Khabibs retirement, I don’t think anyone could pinpoint with 100% certainty that there’s one fighter who’s the best at lightweight. 5 or 6 of them are championship level too

You are acting like RDA is a scrub... Diaz is a journeyman, I agree with you RDA kicks his ass.

I was reply to a dumb comment saying Diaz would beat Poirier and Conor lmfao

They're both top 5, and the most legit contender chose a money fight over the title opportunity so that's on him (and good on him).
JG is the only guy you'd say should be in the mix instead of Chandler but it's not too bad as JG just had his shot. All in all its pretty solid.
Islam could've been up there but he chose inactivity

Oliveira is goat lw. I'd take his run fighting everyone, forever, most subs most finishes most bonuses, over anything khabib did. All khabib did was beat fighters that were scared to grapple. He should've lost the decision to tibau ffs. He was nurtured and oliveria was thrown to the wolves

I was reply to a dumb comment saying Diaz would beat Poirier and Conor lmfao

I know the guy is probably trolling, but you said "Diaz would not even beat RDA", like if Rafael was some scrub, when compared to Charles and Chandler.

I know the guy is probably trolling, but you said "Diaz would not even beat RDA", like if Rafael was some scrub, when compared to Charles and Chandler.

RDA is ranked 7. He's not in the same company as Porier and Conor. As of right now of course

I suspect they tried to make dustin vs olives for the title but dustin wanted the trilogy. So with Gaethje coming off a loss Chandler was the next best thing with that said
1. Dustin
2. Olives
3. Gathje
4. Chandler

Poirier and Mcgregor are fighting for the money trilogy and Gaethje doesn't deserve it at the moment... So Yes, both are no doubt top contenders to fight for the interim belt.... And by the way- Bisping beat the actual champ Rockhold and almost finished cherry picking Silva...

So who would you pick Bisping against in the top 5 at that time then? Maybe a trilogy w Rockhold? That win also didn't age well at all.

In terms of pure fighting ability/skill/performance I don't think LW has a clear number one at the moment.

It's just one cluster of guys you can make reasonable arguments for.

This is actually the perfect time for someone like Oliviera to get a title shot....when there isn't a top dog and money fights amongst the megastars to make.

IMO, we'll see a bit of hot potato with the belt over the next five or so title fights. But maybe not...time will tell

Back