Are carbs mandatory post workout if I am cutting?

ChinBo37

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Right now Im not really training or lifting at all, just doing GPP and cardio. I am trying to shed a stubborn last 7 pounds. Do I have to have carbs after my HIIT or Long distance cardio workouts?

Obviously when I am training or lifting I always have protein with dextrose after, and then I make a meal with protein and some complex carb like brown rice. But as my goals right now 1 - improve my cardio both with HIIT and long distance training, 2 - cut a bit of weight.

Do I need those post run or post HIIT complex carbs? I usually drink some milk post run but I have been cutting out the rice.

Help?

Well, I still think there's a misunderstanding about how much or to put it differently how little glycogen is depeted during weight lifting (in general) and HIIT fitness. Long duration endurance work of course can depleted glycogen storage much more and it's probably more justifyable to 'carb up' pwo after that than than HIIT/Lifting.

Personally, I packed in endurance work ages ago. Just lift heavy 3 days, 1 day football and 1 day sprints. Of my workouts, I can only really see justification for carbs post workout and that's after 60-80 minutes of football.

Hope that helps a bit.

If your trying to lose weight I personally would drink half a litter of milk and eat a good amount of fruits and then have a complete meal 1.30 - 2 hours later. That's just my opinion. I don't know about the latest data on pwo carbs although i think it has been proven that carbs post workout don't improve protein synthesis, however restoring some glycogen sounds reasonable but I don't think you have to completely restore your glycogen stores with the very next meal and down +150 g of pure sugar like dextrose.

My 2 cents

If your trying to lose weight I personally would drink half a litter of milk and eat a good amount of fruits and then have a complete meal 1.30 - 2 hours later. That's just my opinion. I don't know about the latest data on pwo carbs although i think it has been proven that carbs post workout don't improve protein synthesis, however restoring some glycogen sounds reasonable but I don't think you have to completely restore your glycogen stores with the very next meal and down +150 g of pure sugar like dextrose.

My 2 cents

Ok so maybe only after long distance cardio and NOT HIIT I should try to have some carbs. Basically I was looking ways to cut caloires and havent been eating carbs at all after any workout, except for 1-2 cups of milk or so.

Ok so maybe only after long distance cardio and NOT HIIT I should try to have some carbs. Basically I was looking ways to cut caloires and havent been eating carbs at all after any workout, except for 1-2 cups of milk or so.

if you have one or two cups of milk then you are getting carbs via lactose

Ok thanks for all the advice so far but let me summarize and clarify.

I want to cut some weight, but I also want to improve my cardio and I want energy when I am working out. I am suck at 79 kilos and looking to cut calories any way I can. Which kind of post workout carbs should i Have with the following workout to maintain energy leves but still keep in mind i want to cut.-

Long distance running (2 miles or more) - SHould I have immediate post workout carbs such as dextrose or maybe some milk. SHould I also have complex carbs about 1 hour after I am done, or should i not have any carbs at all after this kind of workout and not worry.

HIIT - SHould I have immediate post workout carbs such as dextrose or maybe some milk. SHould I also have complex carbs about 1 hour after I am done, or should i not have any carbs at all after this kind of workout and not worry.

Eat some carbs after workout form whole food sources. If you want to lose weight then just consume less calories then you burn or if you don't want to calculate anything just eat less and get full on vegetables and relatively lean protein, not eating to many carbs.
It seems like yo are trying to find the perfect formula but I don't think there is such a thing or maybe google some Lyle Mcdonald or John Berardi articles about this issue.

Ok thanks for all the advice so far but let me summarize and clarify.

I want to cut some weight, but I also want to improve my cardio and I want energy when I am working out. I am suck at 79 kilos and looking to cut calories any way I can. Which kind of post workout carbs should i Have with the following workout to maintain energy leves but still keep in mind i want to cut.-

Long distance running (2 miles or more) - SHould I have immediate post workout carbs such as dextrose or maybe some milk. SHould I also have complex carbs about 1 hour after I am done, or should i not have any carbs at all after this kind of workout and not worry.

HIIT - SHould I have immediate post workout carbs such as dextrose or maybe some milk. SHould I also have complex carbs about 1 hour after I am done, or should i not have any carbs at all after this kind of workout and not worry.

if you want to go with carbs pwo, i would go with simple carbs such as dextrose or potato starch. if you want to go carbless pwo ala the anabolic diet by mauro di pasquale, then go with a whey isolate only pwo and let gluconeogenesis replenish your glycogen over time. it is your call on that one, but going with complex carbs or something like that pwo won't do you any good. you either want the insulin or you don't.

after hiit you can decide whether or not to have carbs. it mainly depends on how all this fits into your other diet scheme. i have done sprints/hiit and then gone with no carbs if that was the scheduled next meal or i have done sprints/hiit and then had a meal with some carbs in it if that was the next scheduled meal. it all depends

Back