Are California wildfires the direct result of human caused climate change, like politicians claim?

Can individual events like forest fires be attributed to climate change?

• Total voters
When you cut down trees there's going to be lots of bits of bark and saw dust. They don't rake the area afterwards, lol. Have you ever used a chainsaw?

They take out the wood though. Saw dust and bark aren't the same kind of fire hazard.

Anyway, nice chat, formerly banned poster. See ya round.

Frontline just did a piece about it...incredible insight as usual

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/fire-in-paradise/

Like most things, these fires are indeed the result of human/government interference. In this case the entire Smokey the Bear campaign and this idea that we can/should prevent forest fires after some deadly fires in the post depression era led to continued financial collapse.

By successfully limiting wildfires in the short term, this would inevitably lead to uncontrollable fires as natural burns were not allowed to take place. 60 plus years of this prevention strategy made California ripe for fire. Controlled burns finally became a part of the forestry service within the last decades but it's far too little too late.

Like most tragic situations, if the dems and the repubs are actually agreeing on something and both in favor of legislation...we should absolutely run the other way.

they are fucking spraying the skies and using all kinds weather modification then blaming it on "humans"

it's basic manipulation you get everyone looking in one direction while you fuck em behind their back

It's an exacerbating factor to our more-arid-than-historically-normal conditions that contributes to fires rapidly expanding, and being more difficult to control. We've had longer droughts in NorCal at past points in my life, far worse ones, and yet the general California environment has never been riper tinder.

Generally, though, it irritates me how the media uses the wildfires to push the climate change, and nothing else. It's one of the less directly significant factors. The #1 thing has been our mismanagement of forest land and its wild brush.

most cali wildfires are indeed caused by humans, but not in the way that the thread title suggests ...

For example, if i recall correctly the fire that nearly destroyed Redding , California was started by sparks from a chain dragging from a trailer on the highway. In addition, a 100,000+ acre wildfire was started in my area last year by people shooting guns on public land. These are just a couple examples. Many of our biggest fires are caused by human error or negligence.

The #1 thing has been our mismanagement of forest land and its wild brush.
. Do you have a reliable source for this?

I personally know several people on a CalFire hotshot crew who spend the entire offseason doing controlled burns in sensitive areas, but California is a huge state, there is simply too much area for them to cover, and even their best efforts dont make much difference when fire season hits.

do you think the state should divert more funds toward this kind of thing? or how has it been mismanaged?

When did meteorologists learn to forecast fires? Science is incredible

But it wasn't an opinion piece.
It's an opinion piece from a failed CA politician that moved to Texas to operate a pro-GOP think tank.

It's a free country though, people are allowed to like shitty things.

It's an opinion piece from a failed CA politician that moved to Texas to operate a pro-GOP think tank.

It's a free country though, people are allowed to like shitty things.

Then why don't more people like your shitty posts?

It's an exacerbating factor to our more-arid-than-historically-normal conditions that contributes to fires rapidly expanding, and being more difficult to control. We've had longer droughts in NorCal at past points in my life, far worse ones, and yet the general California environment has never been riper tinder.

Generally, though, it irritates me how the media uses the wildfires to push the climate change, and nothing else. It's one of the less directly significant factors. The #1 thing has been our mismanagement of forest land and its wild brush.

Explain that to @James Bomb

What joke? You literally have the worst post:like ratio I've ever seen.
whoa, you're deep

a740efbac759abc041cd14455f67cee8.gif

I mean, kind of. Changing temperatures cause weird weather patterns, and you're going to see a lot of extremes. So instead of being kind of dry and then a bit wet, you might get a drought and then a flash flood. I haven't researched it, but I feel like most of the biggest hurricanes on record are pretty recent.

Back