Are blu ray prices going up? Are they TRYING to bury physical media?

Most I'v paid recently would be £25 for the UHD/4K disk of Lynch's Elephant Man but that was something I already new I loved in the best possible quality. Generally though I think Studiochanel have done a lot of the best UHD releases, Angel Heart, Apoc Now, Don't Look Now, Escape From Newyork, The Deer Hunter etc.

In terms of prices for standard blurays it depends a lot what your buying, bog standard studio releases generally come down pretty fast within a few months, the higher end 3rd party releases like Criterion, Arrow, etc don't but if you keep your eye open there are sales every so often. Best lable for that I'v discovered recently would be Indictator...

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/

Good for a lot of US/UK releases of decent quality that don't normally get a lot of hype.

Last edited:
Most I'v paid recently would be £25 for the UHD/4K disk of Lynch's Elephant Man but that was something I already new I loved in the best possible quality. Generally though I think Studiochanel have done a lot of the best UHD releases, Angel Heart, Apoc Now, Don't Look Now, Escape From Newyork, The Deer Hunter etc.

In terms of prices for standard blurays it depends a lot what your buying, bog standard studio releases generally come down pretty fast within a few months, the higher end 3rd party releases like Criterion, Arrow, etc don't but if you keep your eye open there are sales every so often. Best lable for that I'v discovered recently would be Indictator...

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/

Good for a lot of US/UK releases of decent quality that don't normally get a lot of hype.

Absolutely, my friend. Studiocanal does an absolutely fantastic job with the films that they release. I have their 4K UHD/Blu-ray set of Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS & I just got through ordering their similar set for THE FOG. I've been trying to order their set for DON'T LOOK NOW as well but it's sold out at the moment.

As far as what the most expensive discs/sets that I've purchased, I just got through spending a lot of money on three sets from Shout! Factory's Scream Factory label. I spent about $50 on their four Blu-ray set on the REC films & about $60 apiece on their two Blu-ray collections of Paul Naschy's films.

The one that I'm really looking forward to is this one:
91H2w2PVXqL._SL1500_.jpg

Seven-Blu-ray Special Edition Features
  • New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon
  • New 2K digital restoration of the “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon
  • Alternate audio soundtracks, including original English-dubbed tracks, and audio commentaries
  • Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death
  • New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest
  • And more
It's going to set me back about $125 for the set but that's OK. It sounds like it will be worth it.
I've got other Blue-ray editions of FIST OF FURY, WAY OF THE DRAGON & ENTER THE DRAGON already but that's OK. This will be my first purchase of a Criterion Collection set ( or single film for that matter ).

After making my last post I went to Amazon to double-check on the Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits Criterion Collection set's release date ( it's July 14 ) & discovered that it's no longer available to preorder which means that it's already sold out. So, I searched some of my other sources & found it available at https://www.diabolikdvd.com/ for only $90! Which is a great price so I preordered it from them. I didn't want to take the risk of waiting & then missing out on it. I'd definitely do the same if you're interested in getting it.

After making my last post I went to Amazon to double-check on the Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits Criterion Collection set's release date ( it's July 14 ) & discovered that it's no longer available to preorder which means that it's already sold out. So, I searched some of my other sources & found it available at https://www.diabolikdvd.com/ for only $90! Which is a great price so I preordered it from them. I didn't want to take the risk of waiting & then missing out on it. I'd definitely do the same if you're interested in getting it.
You getting JAWS 4K? I just ordered the Steelbook and regular.

It's weird to me how they charge so much for a 4K Blu Ray but yet they include a regular Blu Ray copy of the movie. It's like why? If I wanted regular Blu Ray I'd buy that, I don't need the extra copy so do away with that and drop the price a bit please.

You getting JAWS 4K? I just ordered the Steelbook and regular.

Absolutely, bro. I can't wait!
I'm just going to get the 45th Anniversary Limited Edition, myself. I'm tempted to double-dip myself but, I've spent a lot of money on movies over the past few days so I've got to chill a little bit.
But, yeah, I am so looking forward to seeing JAWS in 4K UHD on my new 70" 4K TV. It's going to be awesome.
And I'm glad that they moved up the new disc's release from sometime in September to June 2.

Where'sd you wind up pre-ordering your copies from? I tried Amazon but they don't have either 4L version listed so I went with Best Buy.

I saw an article the other day mention Amazon having 4K discs 2 for $30. I didn't find that, but saw a bunch of 4K discs $15 or less. Some I already bought regular BluRay discs of.

It's weird to me how they charge so much for a 4K Blu Ray but yet they include a regular Blu Ray copy of the movie. It's like why? If I wanted regular Blu Ray I'd buy that, I don't need the extra copy so do away with that and drop the price a bit please.
I like the extra BluRay + Digital Code because I haven't moved to 4K yet and want the bit of futureproofing.

I'm guessing at some point the digital code servers will be shut down and people will be screwed.

Absolutely, bro. I can't wait!
I'm just going to get the 45th Anniversary Limited Edition, myself. I'm tempted to double-dip myself but, I've spent a lot of money on movies over the past few days so I've got to chill a little bit.
But, yeah, I am so looking forward to seeing JAWS in 4K UHD on my new 70" 4K TV. It's going to be awesome.
And I'm glad that they moved up the new disc's release from sometime in September to June 2.

Where'sd you wind up pre-ordering your copies from? I tried Amazon but they don't have either 4L version listed so I went with Best Buy.
Nice, I got the Steelbook at Best Buy for 24.99 it’s the same price as the regular!

Check out zavvi for their special edition can order on 23rd.

I also have Top Gun 4k , War of the Worlds 4k and the goonies 4k on pre order! Also collateral 4k was just announced . Man Tom cruise is owning 4k haha.

I saw an article the other day mention Amazon having 4K discs 2 for $30. I didn't find that, but saw a bunch of 4K discs $15 or less. Some I already bought regular BluRay discs of.

Yeah, there are some good deals on 4K discs on Amazon.
What were the titles that you were interested in?
Me? I don't mind paying for a 4K upgrade if it's a movie that I really love. When I do, I just turn around & make a gift of my Blu-ray copy to my daughter or one of my friends.

I think physical copies are the play for sheer quality. Streaming will cut corners, even if you choose to stream at the highest possible quality.

That said, audio quality matters more to me than video quality. I game at 1080, but have decent headphones for music (and gaming).

I like the extra BluRay + Digital Code because I haven't moved to 4K yet and want the bit of futureproofing.

I'm guessing at some point the digital code servers will be shut down and people will be screwed.

Good thinking, bro! That's exactly what I began doing about a year before upgrading all my equipment to 4K last year. So, by the time I got a 4K TV & 4K Blu-ray player I had a nice collection of 4K UHD discs ready to play. It was well worth the extra $5 - $10 extra that I paid for each new disc.

Do you have any idea when you're going to upgrade your set-up to 4K?

Nice, I got the Steelbook at Best Buy for 24.99 it’s the same price as the regular!

Check out zavvi for their special edition can order on 23rd.

I also have Top Gun 4k , War of the Worlds 4k and the goonies 4k on pre order! Also collateral 4k was just announced . Man Tom cruise is owning 4k haha.

Will do, man. Thanks for the heads up.

Good thinking, bro! That's exactly what I began doing about a year before upgrading all my equipment to 4K last year. So, by the time I got a 4K TV & 4K Blu-ray player I had a nice collection of 4K UHD discs ready to play. It was well worth the extra $5 - $10 extra that I paid for each new disc.

No, but maybe I should replace the TV before it stops working. I just don't want a 4K smart TV because of privacy and I intend to buy the new Apple TV 4K probably due this year.

Yeah, there are some good deals on 4K discs on Amazon.
What were the titles that you were interested in?
Me? I don't mind paying for a 4K upgrade if it's a movie that I really love. When I do, I just turn around & make a gift of my Blu-ray copy to my daughter or one of my friends.
No particular title since I already bought the Marvel and Star Wars new ones as 4K. Just looking for anything decent dirt cheap.

No, but maybe I should replace the TV before it stops working. I just don't want a 4K smart TV because of privacy and I intend to buy the new Apple TV 4K probably due this year.

Wow, do they even make 4K televisions that aren't smart TVs? I thought they were all smart TVs these days.

What, exactly, are your concerns with smart tv tech?

You are one paranoid dude. At this point, the government and companies know everything about you.

I didn't actually buy UHD releases beforehand but I did kind of have an eye on stuff I might buy and often didn't upgrade my old DVD's because I'd potentially be buying UHD BR's instead. WHen I did upgrade though I knew most of the stuff that was on offer ...

Blade Runner and 2049, Alien, 2001, Angel Heart, Don't Look Now, The Deer Hunter, The Shining, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Apoc Now, Predator, The Elephant Man, Leon, Escape From Newyork, The Big Lebowski, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, etc

Still buying plenty of blurays as well of course but mostly stuff I doubt will come out on UHD and wouldn't have such a strong appeal if it did. It seems to me that the era around the late 70's and early 80's especially is very well used to UHD, the very strong contrast and colours.

Wow, do they even make 4K televisions that aren't smart TVs? I thought they were all smart TVs these days.

What, exactly, are your concerns with smart tv tech?
You know how when you buy a new computer, all the defaults are to allow access to your microphone, photos, videos, camera, location, address book? Basically I don't want the smart TV recording me watching certain scenes over and over and making records of how long I'm pausing or slow mo looping certain scenes, etc. or keystroke logging all my passwords.

Back