are bigger stronger guys graded differently?

Let me get this straight, getting grips and then breaking someone's balance and hip throwing them into the mat where you land in scarf hold, take a wrist control, and put the arm under your knee to finish by americana with your legs is a low class unskilled brutish maneuver compared to pulling guard and then arm dragging into a back take before finishing with a rnc?

Maybe I'm an egotistical big guy but I think both if executed properly are simply examples of effective submission grappling.

Ya'll Napoleans need to look at your own ego's when you start making predjudicial statements about people that are taller or heavier than you.

I'm 208 and I don't bitch and moan when I roll with a 280-300 lb hw. Just the opposite. We have a guy who's 290 with wrestling and football experience and when we get a chance to roll I just think that if I can sweep him I can sweep anyone.

Do you guys know the old proverb about the difference between a common man and a warrior? If a common man is travelling by foot and a great boulder blocks his path he whines "why me? Why today? How will I get to my destination today?"

The warrior sees the same boulder and thinks, oh cool something to climb.

Last edited:
You don't even get it in all your ignorance, do you. Big guys have just as many problems to deal with - it's just that they're *different* to yours.
So why don't you quit whining and focus on your game and your advances.

Oh please enlighten me a bit more on my ignorance

I agree they might have problems, he's asking about advantages...but I guess you were taught by Helio himself so you have 0 problems right?

Let me get this straight, getting grips and then breaking someone's balance and hip throwing them into the mat where you land in scarf hold, take a wrist control, and put the arm under your knee to finish by americana with your legs is a low class unskilled brutish maneuver compared to pulling guard and then arm dragging into a back take before finishing with a rnc?

Maybe I'm an egotistical big guy but I think both if executed properly are simply examples of effective submission grappling.

Ya'll Napoleans need to look at your own ego's when you start making predjudicial statements about people that are taller or heavier than you.

I'm 208 and I don't bitch and moan when I roll with a 280-300 lb hw. Just the opposite. We have a guy who's 290 with wrestling and football experience and when we get a chance to roll I just think that if I can sweep him I can sweep anyone.

Do you guys know the old proverb about the difference between a common man and a warrior? If a common man is travelling by foot and a great boulder blocks his path he whines "why me? Why today? How will I get to my destination today?"

Regarding napoleon complex. It's a misnomer of a condition that doesn't exist. Or it could possibly be said to exist for larger people who without fail can't help but notice and ridicule smaller persons for their anger. And further diminish their status by discriminating against height by turning the tables and making it seem like the smaller person is at fault. It's a clever little old fashioned meme that people seem to take as serious science because they just want it to be real so badly.

2007, research by the University of Central Lancashire suggested that the Napoleon complex (described in terms of the theory that shorter men are more aggressive to dominate those who are taller than they are) may be a myth. The study discovered that short men (below 1.65 m [5 ft 5 in]) were less likely to lose their temper than men of average height. The experiment involved subjects dueling each other with sticks, with one subject deliberately rapping the other's knuckles. Heart monitors revealed that the taller men were more likely to lose their tempers and hit back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

Not saying this to poop on you or anything. Just Be careful how you use that term. It often turns out the person using it is the one that's butthurt.

Also, not all big guys are insanely strong. Bench pressing a 150lb person with grips and a good side control is not the same as bench pressing 150lbs. It's much harder. I'm about 250lbs and of average strength and I don't believe I've ever benched someone off me including women and teens because it's just way too hard to do.

Nice.

Also, not all big guys are insanely strong. Bench pressing a 150lb person with grips and a good side control is not the same as bench pressing 150lbs. It's much harder. I'm about 250lbs and of average strength and I don't believe I've ever benched someone off me including women and teens because it's just way too hard to do.

Lift some weights. As a rule of thumb, you should be able to bench press 1.5 to 2 times as much weight as the person you're rolling with (single rep) to be on the safe side. Or, another way is to concentrate on 225lbs bench press and shoot for at least 15-20 reps ultimately. As a heavyweight you should be able to get there.

See, where you've characterized this as a big clumsy bastard getting his eventual comeuppance, I see it as kind of a sad story. No one told the big guy in your story that he wasn't being technical. The other white belts were happy to pass him by in technical skill and eventually start tapping him. It's not that their egos weren't in play, they just took longer to get fed.

The fact is, it's not the big guy's fault that he's big, and yet a lot of BJJ guys seem to harbor some strange resentment for big guys because of their natural attributes. You know no one was rooting for Zulu when he fought Fedor, despite the fact that Fedor wasn't anything close to an underdog. People just always root for the little guy, literally.

/sob story

its not a story, its what Ive seen in the different gyms Ive been (training) I rarely find a big technical white belt, and by technical I dont expect him to do berimbolos or have a incredible guard game, just a strong technical non spazzing passing game (for a white belt, or even for a blue, beyond that I cant judge, since Im just a blue)

Last edited:
its not a story, its got Ive seen in the different gyms Ive been (training) I rarely find a big technical white belt, and by technical I dont expect him to do berimbolos or have a incredible guard game, just a strong technical non spazzing passing game (for a whuite belt, or even for a blue, beyond that I cant judge, since Im just a blue)

So when I grab your belt, hip into your knee shield, and shuffle around your guard I'm spazzing? How about my standing passes? What if I go into a 1LXG sweep to a knee slice, those too? Every beginner spazzes, regardless of size. Big guys develop technique as fast as little guys given the same amount of mat time. Our techniques are just different.

What I've learned is I need to Bench 300-400 lbs or in week...

Fuck me I suck. I may be the weakest purple belt on the planet at pesado. Might as well not register for the Houston Open.

So when I grab your belt, hip into your knee shield, and shuffle around your guard I'm spazzing? How about my standing passes? What if I go into a 1LXG sweep to a knee slice, those too? Every beginner spazzes, regardless of size. Big guys develop technique as fast as little guys given the same amount of mat time. Our techniques are just different.

I will say this much, some big guys don't progress as quickly because they rely on their size and strength too much. I spent a long time with bad fundamentals for control in top positions because I was big enough and strong enough to make things miserable for smaller guys. Anytime I tried to play top against someone really good, they'd get out right away and I couldn't figure out why.

Lift some weights. As a rule of thumb, you should be able to bench press 1.5 to 2 times as much weight as the person you're rolling with (single rep) to be on the safe side. Or, another way is to concentrate on 225lbs bench press and shoot for at least 15-20 reps ultimately. As a heavyweight you should be able to get there.

Please stop talking. There is no benefit to benching 225 for 15-20 reps, unless you like to brag about how many times you can bench 225 or are running the NFL combine.

I'm not sure you have an idea how it is to be big and what effects that has on your game, both in terms of your own abilities and what the opponents in your weight division will bring, and you probably don't know much about being strong.

Last edited:
LOL @ 250lb all-muscle guys being not uncommon.

I will say this much, some big guys don't progress as quickly because they rely on their size and strength too much. I spent a long time with bad fundamentals for control in top positions because I was big enough and strong enough to make things miserable for smaller guys. Anytime I tried to play top against someone really good, they'd get out right away and I couldn't figure out why.

Maybe my experience is unique. I was paired with a 6'8" 280 lb purple belt for much of my first year, so I couldn't get away with sloppy technique without getting smashed. Technically, of course ;)

being the biggest guy at my gym full of small people I can say my instructor expects different things from me. But that does not diminish my technical skills. My instructor gets upset if I get inverted in once I achieve mount because he feels with my weight and size and proper technique I should be unmovable.

I do think sometimes big guys tend to get more top position then guard.

Do we get graded differently I don't think so, I think it is just that we focus on other positions.

its not a story, its got Ive seen in the different gyms Ive been (training) I rarely find a big technical white belt, and by technical I dont expect him to do berimbolos or have a incredible guard game, just a strong technical non spazzing passing game (for a white belt, or even for a blue, beyond that I cant judge, since Im just a blue)

That's what I meant by story. I understood that it was a true story, or at least one derived from multiple such cases you'd seen in the gym. But people are very quick to look at a story like that and damn the big guy for daring to let his ego get out of control, or using natural attributes when skill is more appropriate for the long run.

The fact is that every beginner would have an ego if they were able, it's just that the little guys usually don't have the opportunity. And every beginner would use strength if they were able, too. I'm still very much a beginner, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't still internally celebrate after every tap I get. But if I hadn't read about typical big guy behavior so much on Sherdog, I'm sure I'd have been happily muscling little fellows around in class, unaware that a lot of them (judging by the attitudes you always see in threads like this) were resenting me without telling me, and just waiting for the day that they could pass me by, rather than helping me like teammates should.

So much flawless logic in this thread.

may I ask you where in my posts I said anything like that? if you are doing it, good for you, you are not spazzing, I was specifically talking about the sppazzers, which big guys tend to be for much longer than smaller guys, why? because they can achieve still some sort of degree of success in the gym, not everyone is like that of couorse, but when you roll with 7 different people and you outweight 5 of them by a large margin, it may take longer for you to realize you are doing something wrong...

looks like big guys tend to feel offended and confuse having a top game with playing top game "a la hulk"....not the same, you can have a good top game without trying to hulk smash people...

Last edited:

Gotta remember to ask my training partners how much they bench so I can be safe. I don't want to be unsafe.

in my experiences bigger guys have been handled more strictly because they have the ability to use alot more strength

Gotta remember to ask my training partners how much they bench so I can be safe. I don't want to be unsafe.

good idea. don't ever be unsafe. that's how you catch cooties.

Back