Are athletes healthier than the average people?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understand through years of studying that maintaining a healthy diet and engaging in routine exercising are the best things one can do for their health. Obviously there is no guarantee for a long life, but if you weren't going to live long doing these you certainly weren't going to live long eating crappy and being sedentary.

In any case, this would lead me to expect athletes to live longer lives than ordinary. Surely being more fit than the rest of the population is an indicator of health, right?

I Googled Peter Norman, the white guy who stood next to the 2 black men doing the black power fist in the 1968 Olympics and found that he died at a relatively young age to a heart attack.

I was a bit surprised because I know first hand that track is sport that really pushes one to get into tip-top shape.

I think of other athletes who died of illnesses here is a list (not counting the ones who died of things like car crashes).

Even Michael Clarke Duncan, he wasn't a pro athlete but obviously spent a lot of time working out, died of a heart attack.

I know this is a poor sample size, but I am shocked to see many athletic people die of natural causes. Except for WWE athletes as those guys are juiced to the gills and are basically ticking time bombs.

There are a lot of factors. Athletes are hard on their bodies. They are in great shape, but their careers tend to be relatively short, especially in contact sports. That hard use takes a toll. So while they are are strong and fast and (generally) lean, they are taxing their bodies much, much more than even a gym rat.

A lot of ex athletes have a hard time adjusting to not working out really hard and adjusting their diet.

This is some bro science I've been working on - but I feel like athletes who retire (around 35-45) sometimes crash HARD and completely change their lifestyles and just fucking die from that.

Saw it a lot in old kick boxers when I was younger which got me thinking. A lot would be in phenomenal shape, then retire and start drinking, stop exercising etc.

A lot of ex athletes have a hard time adjusting to not working out really hard and adjusting their diet.

Lol... Like him? (fought Floyd Mayweather a few years ago if anyone's wondering)

8I7cckMOxoIzmzfs52-8YK7Ji83x1cz8WjlNj0Jnk1k.jpg

Pro athletes are pushing themselves to limits that don't really lend themselves to general health and well being.

Athletes push the limit too much I doubt its healthy, people who exercise are probably better off than both athletes and sedentary people.

Even Michael Clarke Duncan, he wasn't a pro athlete but obviously spent a lot of time working out, died of a heart attack.

Working out on the juice fucks up the heart.

I Googled Peter Norman, the white guy who stood next to the 2 black men doing the black power fist in the 1968 Olympics and found that he died at a relatively young age to a heart attack.

I knew a man named Will who was a very health conscious person, thin, great shape, a weekly runner, and he died of a heart attack when he was in his 50's. Conversely, I know a fat man that is in his 60's and has already outlived Will by a decade doing nothing good for his health. Obviously this is anecdotal and not scientific, and obviously you should eat right and exercise, but that isn't the whole story. If its in the cards for you to die early I don't think there is shit you can do to stop it. Probably mostly genetic. That's a scary thought, that your lifespan is mostly determined at birth.

Also, y'all is downplayin' or straight up not knowin' the importance of genetics.

If you want to be a particular type of person, choose your genetics wisely.

Pro athletes are pushing themselves to limits that don't really lend themselves to general health and well being.

I'm not convinced that is the case. You could be correct, but I don't know. That seems really hard to nail down and prove. Combat sports are bad for your health like boxing or UFC where you get kicked in the head but a lot of athletes don't get punched in the face for a living. You telling me your health is better than Usain Bolt? His heart could probably pump the blood of 2 people.

I'm not convinced that is the case. You could be correct, but I don't know. That seems really hard to nail down and prove. Combat sports are bad for your health like boxing or UFC where you get kicked in the head but a lot of athletes don't get punched in the face for a living. You telling me your health is better than Usain Bolt? His heart could probably pump the blood of 2 people.
It's the training stimulus they can reach that I will never be able to. You have to understand that training is essentially trauma and the amount of work they do and heights acheived can put some people in the hospital.

The longer you keep this up the more damage you will accumulate on literally every organ and joint in your body.

You should see the strongman documentary following eddie halls journey where he wins the WSM but then immediately quits for his health. Sometimes being at those heights isn't necessarily the healthiest.

Health is about a balanced life. Eating right, sleeping right, exercising. Athletes tend to take some aspects of their lives to extremes, and there is a price to pay for that.

It depends your average d-level mma athlete is quite bit lower than an average sherdogger but still quite a bit more than your average person.

Joe cuckaluck is bottom of the barrel followed by your tank abbots and micocics finally you got your Mayberry posting ass floss fearing master race.

Health is about a balanced life. Eating right, sleeping right, exercising. Athletes tend to take some aspects of their lives to extremes, and there is a price to pay for that.

I agree, and I also disagree. There are factors we don't completely understand. You can lead a balanced life and do all the things you listed and still drop dead at age 47 of heart failure. My wife's grandmother was the oldest person I ever personally knew. She was born in 1911 and died in 2012 at age 101. As far as I know she never exercised a day in her life.

I agree, and I also disagree. There are factors we don't completely understand. You can lead a balanced life and do all the things you listed and still drop dead at age 47 of heart failure. My wife's grandmother was the oldest person I ever personally knew. She was born in 1911 and died in 2012 at age 101. As far as I know she never exercised a day in her life.
True.

I knew a man named Will who was a very health conscious person, thin, great shape, a weekly runner, and he died of a heart attack when he was in his 50's. Conversely, I know a fat man that is in his 60's and has already outlived Will by a decade doing nothing good for his health. Obviously this is anecdotal and not scientific, and obviously you should eat right and exercise, but that isn't the whole story. If its in the cards for you to die early I don't think there is shit you can do to stop it. Probably mostly genetic. That's a scary thought, that your lifespan is mostly determined at birth.

That must suck to be making such a large sacrifice for nothing at the end.
I would like to believe one's lifestyle can sort of cull genetics to some degree.

I mean imagine someone comes from a family like The Klumps or Mama June's family "Honey Booboo". If that one member of the family works out every day I'm sure they can prolong their expected lifespan.

Back