Are any lefties from an intact family?

The strongest family units I know are all liberal (and non-white.)

I come from a rural area of a red state. Very conservative, lots of drugs, alcohol, divorce, and unwed mothers. Lots of teen moms.
I'm still in a red state, but married a gal from an urban area that is very liberal and non-white. It was an eye opener, kinda like Clint Eastwood in "Gran Torino" when he was looking at the Hmong families and how strong they were compared to his own.

I'll out-liberal anyone here and my parents have been married for 40 years. No prior children, no physical violence, no separations.

My observations from the Mayberry are that a lot of dudes who come from messed up families and/or backgrounds are actually right-wing. It's the ol' "I've had a miserable life so I know that people are basically rotten and only out for themselves so I should also only be out for myself too."

How about the ol' "I was disadvantaged because I lacked a supportive family growing up. Most of my friends were in the same predicament. Those of us who worked hard, studied, and stayed away from drugs overcame our disadvantages. Government programs will never substitute for a supportive family, and personal responsibility needs to be expanded in our culture, rather than diminished."

I mostly became liberal as I got older. I'm 31 and my childhood family is still intact and so is my family, my wife and son.

Ironically, my wife's family who is very "conservative" (read fox news repubs), all have broken families.

Well I have been called a leftist or liberal so I might qualify.
My parents are married for 38 years. I am married for 6 years.

But I don't have a problem with parents divorcing it can be beneficial for a child if the parents really cant stand each other living together.
Good parents will still be good parents even if they are separated, of course ideally they would live together but everyone's situation is different.

But of course its incredible retarded to think liberal or conservative families or parents are better. If you are a good parent you are a good parent it has nothing to do with your political views.
Good parent let children make their own choices in life.

TS asks a lot of really stupid questions.

There are a ton of social justice warriors that feel oppressed when they have millionaire parents.

It used to be the poor who were used to attack the rich. Usually starvation followed. But now it's the rich millionaires themselves feeling oppressed lol.

I'm from a broken home and I'd still fuck your wife and take your job leaving you with nothing.

Not really, liberals are generally in favor of expanding welfare. Welfare in the US is directly linked to the degradation of the family unit in the black community.

Degradation of family units is better than the uptick in homelessness and drug users that will follow if the system is wiped.

Shit thread ts. You're stooping down to lib levels and in the process making the right look bad.

How about the ol' "I was disadvantaged because I lacked a supportive family growing up. Most of my friends were in the same predicament. Those of us who worked hard, studied, and stayed away from drugs overcame our disadvantages. Government programs will never substitute for a supportive family, and personal responsibility needs to be expanded in our culture, rather than diminished."

Nah. Those in my scenario outnumber the ones in yours.

But either way, the result of this is tremendous contempt for the poor and unfortunate. No sympathy. Get off your lazy ass and work! No one had mercy on me so why should I have mercy on them!?

Kinda like the abused-children-grow-up-to-be-abusive-parents thing.

Nah. Those in my scenario outnumber the ones in yours.

But either way, the result of this is tremendous contempt for the poor and unfortunate. No sympathy. Get off your lazy ass and work! No one had mercy on me so why should I have mercy on them!?

Kinda like the abused-children-grow-up-to-be-abusive-parents thing.

I'm not buying it either. I have a hard time envisioning someone who comes from a really desperate background, works hard to pull themselves up by nothing but their bootstraps, then takes a position that no one else needs government assistance because they got on fine without it. If anything, they’d be more sensitive to the need for quality assistance programs in the absence of having a supportive family network. I agree that nothing substitutes having good parents and personal accountability, but I don’t see that as mutually exclusive from having good government either.

I agree that nothing substitutes having good parents and personal accountability, but I don’t see that as mutually exclusive from having good government either.

Well the government we have incentivizes single motherhood among the poor. Is that an example of "good government"?

The TS made a thread Ih the Mayberry about not wanting his grown mother to go on dates. He also wants to fight and beat up her male callers.

Def has deep rooted mental problems from some type of trauma. This is how he justifies his mental instability.

Yeah, but you kind of are one of the saner leftists on here. I almost always disagree with you. but you do seem sane at least.

You're veering off of sane with this thread yourself. The concept is disgusting and you should apologize for it.

Well the government we have incentivizes single motherhood among the poor. Is that an example of "good government"?
Yikes, I don't know where to start.
First, you'd need a very, very broad definition of "incentive" for that to be true. It's probably more accurate to say that single motherhood is made endurable by government, not incentivized.
If anything, the government incentivizes couples to get married. Put the benefits side by side and it's clear to see which the government would prefer.

An example of a good government would be one that recognizes that a child brought up in a single parent household is at a disadvantage and seeks to lessen that burden rather than exacerbate it. If you want to talk about unintended consequences of said policy and realistic, evidence based reform to it, we might actually have a thought provoking conversation.

Back