Are aldo's leg kicks gonna be McGregor's kryptonite?

KO By Knee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Im pulling for McGregor as champ but it seems the best answer to his stand-up is leg kicks and Aldo has some bruises. Although im partly worried Aldo might be able to take him down and dominate him on the ground to a sub or TKO.

People seem to think Aldo would just destroy his legs, but Conor made an opponent brake a leg early in his career from checking his opponents kicks, and broke Holloway's foot with a check. Also, he's a southpaw so leg kicks are harder from an angles perspective to land.

He broke Holloway's foot with a check:

Broke a leg of an opponent a while ago:

I would think he'll gameplan to utilize a lot of those and to keep Aldo at bay with a jab. He'll have about a 4 or 5 inch reach advantage to throw over Aldo's jab as well.

Could be. One of the things about muay thai is that it's more simple striking but effective and powerful. The speed and power is meant to overcome adavantage of flashy stuff that but depends on the practitioner. Can only wait and see!

With no threat of a takedown from Conor I think Aldo will let all the kicks fly!!!!

Aldo will have some big troubles if he can't start throwing kicks off his left instead of his right. McGOAT's stance allows him to check almost without effort anything coming from the right.

I really don't see Connor having a shot at beating anyone in top 3 of division none of them will give him the distance to pick them apart

Yeah if Conor doesnt check them and Aldo can survive the first it will definetly hurt him

I really don't see Connor having a shot at beating anyone in top 3 of division none of them will give him the distance to pick them apart

This is a huge point imo. Much like Anderson for the longest time fighters played into his game. Most of the top tier will not let Connor set into his style of fight. Pressure is key.

I'd like to see Jose throw hard and frequent leg kicks for the first two rounds, then use his underrated wrestling to take Conner down and sub. It would be the best of both worlds, Faber'ing his legs and then choking those last words out.

So clearly he'll just fold and lose.

Anyway, Aldo hasn't destroyed anyone with leg kicks in years. Usually guys give up against him, but Mendes was fine both times, Florian was fine, Frankie was fine, Korean Zombie was fine, Hominick was fine etc.

Basically, people think Aldo will wind up like Urijah Faber did like 5 years ago.

He hurts guys and it makes an impact on the fight, but this is being blown out of proportion.

This is a huge point imo. Much like Anderson for the longest time fighters played into his game. Most of the top tier will not let Connor set into his style of fight. Pressure is key.

I'd like to see Jose throw hard and frequent leg kicks for the first two rounds, then use his underrated wrestling to take Conner down and sub. It would be the best of both worlds, Faber'ing his legs and then choking those last words out.

People obviously aren't even watching Conor's fights if they think he's granted tons of space. He immediately takes the center of the Octagon and presses guys up against the fence. He's the one who gives them no space. That's why all of Conor's finishes come near the cage. He's crowding them. They're not playing into his game, Conor is forcing his game on them.

I usually laugh of the "win via leg kick" posts, but if Aldo attacks Connor's stance regularly it could pay off. It could lead to something better for him.

McGregor has seen allot of video. I'm sure he is aware of not leaving his lead leg as a target for 5 rounds.
This isn't Nate Diaz we are talking about.

McGregor has seen allot of video. I'm sure he is aware of not leaving his lead leg as a target for 5 rounds.
This isn't Nate Diaz we are talking about.

This!

Plus, in my earlier post McGregor does check kicks well if he's worried about them. No doubt he'll be drilling and adapting for this.

Another thread about aldo's kicks decimating conor. much excitement. much indeed.

When was the last time Aldo destroyed a southpaw w/ leg kicks?

But when was the last time Aldo used some serious leg kicks in a fight? It's been a while now.

Back