Arcade stick thread

OnionKnight86

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I was looking into purchasing 1 or 2 arcade sticks. I play fighting games with some friends on the weekend and we thought it would be a good investment to buy a couple. I just want to know which arcade sticks are the best and if there is any cheap ones that are just as good as high priced ones.

I have the SSF4 Madcatz TE. Very good stick. Sanwa buttons and stick. Worked great of the box and still works well now.

Madcatz also has the MCZ Pro stick which is $99. It doesn't use Sanwa parts , to my knowledge, but tries to imitate the style.

My GF has the Qanba Q1. A good entry level stick. Not as good as the TE but better than, imo, the Madcatz SE sticks. I got it for $70 on Amazon

Hori also makes a decent entry level stick. Around the same price as the Qanba Q1.

I played on a wireless Hori Tekken stick at a barcade and was surprised by the quality considering they had been beat on by drunk button mashers.

If you're buying multiple sticks, I'd go with the Qanba or Hori sticks. If you want a good stick for yourself, try to find a TE under $200 or grab a Qanba Q4.

Edit: If you have SSF4 AE on PC let me know. I'm down to play.

I have the SSF4 Madcatz TE. Very good stick. Sanwa buttons and stick. Worked great of the box and still works well now.

Madcatz also has the MCZ Pro stick which is $99. It doesn't use Sanwa parts , to my knowledge, but tries to imitate the style.

My GF has the Qanba Q1. A good entry level stick. Not as good as the TE but better than, imo, the Madcatz SE sticks. I got it for $70 on Amazon

Hori also makes a decent entry level stick. Around the same price as the Qanba Q1.

I played on a wireless Hori Tekken stick at a barcade and was surprised by the quality considering they had been beat on by drunk button mashers.

If you're buying multiple sticks, I'd go with the Qanba or Hori sticks. If you want a good stick for yourself, try to find a TE under $200 or grab a Qanba Q4.

Edit: If you have SSF4 AE on PC let me know. I'm down to play.

Thank you for this information, (dumb question but i have to ask) there is no universal stick, xbox has their own (in my mind should work for PC) and Playstation has its own as well, right

i'm not good at fighting games but enjoy playing with friends. SO if i do get SF for PC, don't expect a good player lol

i use the hori v3 for tekken tag 2. not that expensive and good quality. cant really give prices as im not from the US though it's one of the least expensive ones from the ones i see here like madcatz or hori hrap

I have the SF4 Madcatz TE stick as well, it's pretty pricey but well worth it. I mainly use it for VF5 and SC5. For some fucking odd reason, I use a Dual Shock sony pad for Tekken and a madcatz 6 button pad for most 2d games.

Don't ask, I'm fucking weird like that.

I was watching a Two friends play (i think it was a friday night fistycuffs thing) and they said the best fighting game for controller users is Tekken, is this true?

I was watching a Two friends play (i think it was a friday night fistycuffs thing) and they said the best fighting game for controller users is Tekken, is this true?

No such thing as best input device for a particular game, sure with sticks you can access some techniques like plinking or piano'ing, but pads have just as many advantages and it all falls into personal preference. There are top pro players that use pads or sticks or hit boxes or whatever. Play whatever you like and what feels natural.

Tekken is pretty controller friendly. Its when you start having to use shoulder buttons that a stick becomes better.

And I think it maybe cheaper to buy the cheap Mad Ctaz stick and just mod it with Sanwa parts.

for a cheaper stick I would recommend the SSF4TE. But if you are not a fighting game fan be warned that they have different gates around the stick than their arcade versions in some cases. Instead of a round or octagon feel around the stick you often get a square one or vise versa.

I'm seriously considering building one for myself now I've made some kickboxes for dive kick and learned to program the teensy usb controller and how to hook up buttons.
Got a Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3 as well, it's not terrible, but it's also not all that good.

There are some insane prices for custom made arcade sticks on Ebay.

I recall when MK9 was released they came out with an MK arcade stick with the Arcade Trilogy and MK9 bundle for $100+.

I was better with the controller, otherwise I would have picked it up.

There are some insane prices for custom made arcade sticks on Ebay.

I recall when MK9 was released they came out with an MK arcade stick with the Arcade Trilogy and MK9 bundle for $100+.

I was better with the controller, otherwise I would have picked it up.

You talking about this PDP one?
ps3-mortal-kombat-arcade-stick_w305_h236.jpg

Be glad you didn't. It was a piece of shit.

^^^ damn. Sorry to hear that.

Kinda surprising a high quality electronics company hasn't made an arcade stick for a reasonable price.

Well I reread the description for the Madcatz PRO. According to MCZ it uses Sanwa Denshi parts.

$99 bucks is pretty cheap for that kind of quality. It still might be less to mod a cheap stick with your preferred parts.

The last arcade stick I ever owned was this one:

NES-advantage.jpg

That thing was built like a tank and took a ton of abuse from me and my friends.

I have a Hori ex 2 that came customized with an 8 way directional stick. Haven't used it in ages but it works well and wasn't too expensive

The last arcade stick I ever owned was this one:

NES-advantage.jpg

That thing was built like a tank and took a ton of abuse from me and my friends.

I remember going over to a kids house with my older brother and he had that controller, thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Back