ARCADE MASTER RACE GTFIH

I was born in 1980 and there were several arcades were I grew up. My mom owned a convenience store when I was a kid too. I was a smaller store, but she always had two arcade machines that she would rotate out threw a vendor. I could take quarters out of the til and play them if I wanted. It was awesome.

I also have a Bartop arcade machine that a buddy of mine built that I bought off of him. It runs off a raspberry pie and I also have NES, SNES, TG16, Genesis, Atari, and Master System uploaded to it along with a few hundred mame arcade titles. It's pretty slick all I have to do is download a game on my laptop then wireless upload it to my arcade machine.
yeah some arcades were like the one in the first TMNT movie,a place to recruit kids to join the FOOT CLAN

arcades were awesome.

as a fellow 80s ny child, i was constantly hustling (lemonade stands, selling cookies, got $ from a local gang that my friend's brother ran [in hindsight, i may have been a lookout a few times...], buying packs of baseball cards and selling the rookie cards to other kids/dealers, cans/bottles for .05, i sold random crap on the sidewalk...) and then blowing half of it at arcades.

also, my first active exposure to gambling, oddly enough.

and yeah, apparently some arcades were scary back then. i don't know if it was because of the gang (and i was a ballsy ass kid) or what, but i just never noticed or cared. and then i tried to get some other kids from school to go to one, and they freaked out. there were fights there pretty often, i saw a few stabbings. but it just never resonated me that it was sketchy, probably because i saw shit like that regularly and was already streetsmart. but the contrast from the arcades i went to and chucky cheese shit (where i went to a few birthday parties) was night and day. chucky cheese sucked. their games sucked and they were always broken/sticky/etc. all it was good for was going all wwf in the ballpit.

kung fu master, spy hunter (this game sucked but i thought it was awesome when i was like 5), gladiator, two tigers, rampage, gauntlet, punch-out, gunsmoke... thank god for double dragon. revolutionized everything. shinobi was amazing. played operation wolf a lot, too (if the gun was calibrated)

shit, in like 86 (year of the mets)... a pizza place a block from me had punch-out and ghosts n goblins.

90s arcade for me was basically just mk1-3 and ki, with an occasional x-men/simpsons/tmnt/time crisis or something. i didn't have much time (and thought vidya was basically for little kids then) due to having to be an adult at ~14. i guess it's no surprise that about a decade later, i was sick of adult life and decided to be a manchild forever. lolz

there were some "arcades" in philly in the last while, but they tended to be mostly just pinball. or dave&buster's.
I also thought the arcades in Coney Island were awesome,ever go to those?

I kicked ass at mortal kombat 2 and air hockey

I sucked at primal rage

I've probably spent enough on time crisis 2 that I coulda bought my own

Pinball Pete's in Ann arbor was a fave hang of mine growing up.

I always liked Bubble Hockey too.

maxresdefault.jpg

I loved the light gun games... I actually bought a gun for...i wanna say it was playstation...so i could play Time Crisis,and have the arcade experience at home.

punch_out.jpg

Ninja Gaiden
ninjaGaidenArcade_(16).jpg

Superman
1181242177221.png

Tapper
maxresdefault.jpg

Vigilante
vigilante-techmynd-4.jpg

Wrestlefest
Arcade_0201_09.png
I played the shit out of punchout and wrestlefest goddamn! i was sooo stoked when i got wrestlefest on emuilator!

I also thought the arcades in Coney Island were awesome,ever go to those?

a few times. coney island kinda sucked in the 80s (or was like... goodbad). or maybe it always sucked, i dunno. haha. i just looked it up now and i see astroland closed down . seems surreal.
but yeah, seemed like everywhere with a boardwalk had a pretty sweet arcade for a while. whether, ny, jersey, md...

i tended to mostly be at closer ones, either in manhattan or queen's/LI, depending on if i was at my sister's or parents place.

What about these?
My buddy has one with like 3000 games on it, hes always bragging on Facebook
Im a steal his shit one day

Legends-Ultimate-Arcade-Front-cropped-compressed.jpg
Doesn't count, pal.

<VinceCa$h>

I put some serious coin into that thing at a local arcade called Dodge City back in the day. Pretty sure theirs was only 4 player though.
There was an arcade near me that had that plus the Simpsons plus TMNT.

<{Joewithit}>

I loved the light gun games... I actually bought a gun for...i wanna say it was playstation...so i could play Time Crisis,and have the arcade experience at home.

There's a lightgun coming out that works on all these new fancy TVs. It even has force feedback like the Namco arcade games.

https://www.sindenlightgun.com/

And please tell me you plugged in a controller to use as a pedal in Time Crisis on PS1 instead of using the buttons on a Guncon. Amazing that people still don't know about that.

Reactions: HHJ
Sega had quite a few arcade games that never had a console port.

gunbladeNY_frontpta.png

1040648297.jpg

Daytona_USA_2_flyer.jpg

220px-Scud_Race_flyer.png
Scud Race was Sega Super GT, right? Good lord that game had incredible graphics in 97.
Star Wars Trilogy should've been on DC. I spent so much money on that. Guess they didn't have the license for console release.

starwarsdel_300x.jpg

Scud Race was Sega Super GT, right? Good lord that game had incredible graphics in 97.
Star Wars Trilogy should've been on DC. I spent so much money on that. Guess they didn't have the license for console release.

starwarsdel_300x.jpg

Yessir. The graphics in those Sega arcade games were ridiculous. Virtua Fighter 3 from 1996 was something to behold, but it was $1 a game at the time.

Back